Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Which Linux distribution do you run Oolite on?

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Which Distro do you run Oolite on?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:41 am

32-bit Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope)
75%
64-bit Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope)
13%
32-bit Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron)
No votes
64-bit Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron)
13%
32-bit RPM-based distribution (eg, RedHat/CentOS/Fedora, SuSE)
No votes
64-bit RPM-based distribution (eg, RedHat/CentOS/Fedora, SuSE)
No votes
Other 32-bit distribution
No votes
Other 64-bit distribution
No votes

Total votes: 8

Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Which Linux distribution do you run Oolite on?

Post by Micha »

Hi guys,

Just wondering which Linux distributions you use to run Oolite on to determine whether or not it's worthwhile to make distribution-specific packages as well as the autopackage.

If your distro is not an exact match to the poll questions, please drop a note with the distribution + version + 32- or 64-bit.

Cheers,
- Micha.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I voted for 32-bit Jaunty - but it's a bit more complicated than that - as my home PC is still on Gutsy Gibbon but once I've got new HD sorted - that too will be on Jaunty.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I voted for 32-bit Jaunty... but it's technically 9.04 Kubuntu, and I also use 32-bit Super OS 9.04, which is Ubuntu.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

I have a Linos netbook (Elonex) can anyone lay claim to a worse distro?

I seriously doubt that it would be worth the effort to get oolite working on it, but it would be nice to have, as my "real" (osx, XP) laptops are both a bit big.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Cmdr James wrote:

I seriously doubt that it would be worth the effort to get oolite working on it, but it would be nice to have, as my "real" (osx, XP) laptops are both a bit big.
Looking at the specs, if you have the upgraded model, it might be worth a shot.. have you tried?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

No, I would need to create a special package type, which doesnt sound much like fun, as I would have to do it all on another (probably non linux) machine.

It is documented kind of, but then I need a compiler, which I dont think I can run on it. So maybe I make another machine dual boot, complie for mips, package, stick on sd... or maybe I just play on my mac :)

EDIT: must learn the syntax for this forum, so I can do links right first time.
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

Yuck, that does look evil.

You could always boot a deb-friendly distro off a memory card / usb key?
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

sure, once I find how to config BIOS to boot from it, and get a mips deb distro :lol:

I might look into it, but to be honest, it browses the web and just works for what I need. For anything else I have a collection of machines, and limited time to mess about.
tnc
Average
Average

Post by tnc »

Just installed on Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala via autopackage. Flawless install. Works perfectly.
Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

Cmdr James wrote:
I scrubbed the XandrOS flavour of linux from my netbook, and installed Mint 8 onto it. The 701 Eee version of XandrOS quickly became stagnant, with minimal updates.

I've also bumped the RAM up from 512MB to 2GB. It runs non-shadered Oolite very well - and looks great with DeepSpace's new texture pack.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Ubuntu Karmic 32bit. Works fine but seem to have files all over the place (my fault I suspect...did something silly during install with passwords!) and still can't get an AddOns folder working. Oh well!
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Ffoeg
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Ffoeg »

tnc wrote:
Just installed on Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala via autopackage. Flawless install. Works perfectly.
I've just done the same to compare with windows, but as a linux newbie I don't know where to put the addons folder.

Sorry, realised it is the wrong thread, but maybe tnc could tell me where his addons is. I think it should be in ~/.oolite but how do I do it without 'permission'?

Ffoeg
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

Ffoeg wrote:
tnc wrote:
I've just done the same to compare with windows, but as a linux newbie I don't know where to put the addons folder.

Sorry, realised it is the wrong thread, but maybe tnc could tell me where his addons is. I think it should be in ~/.oolite but how do I do it without 'permission'?

Ffoeg
Not .Oolite

/usr/lib/Oolite
which is a different folder.
It should be there already.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Ffoeg wrote:
tnc wrote:

Ffoeg
AddOns should already be there. I've just re-installed to sort out the messy installation I had (see above), and all is now well.
Click on 'Places', then 'Home Folder', then click 'view' and tick 'Show hidden files'. You will find .Oolite there, and AddOns should be in that folder. You don't need permission or anything, just move any .OXP folders in (drag and drop or copy and paste) and you're away.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Ffoeg
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Ffoeg »

Smivs wrote:
Ffoeg wrote:
tnc wrote:

Ffoeg
AddOns should already be there. I've just re-installed to sort out the messy installation I had (see above), and all is now well.
Click on 'Places', then 'Home Folder', then click 'view' and tick 'Show hidden files'. You will find .Oolite there, and AddOns should be in that folder. You don't need permission or anything, just move any .OXP folders in (drag and drop or copy and paste) and you're away.
Done it :lol: My Thanks to you sirs!

(Coming from XP I didn't realise folder names were case sensitive)

:oops:

Ffoeg