Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Post by Cody »

cim wrote:
1 in 4 systems with a TL of 12 or higher, based on the system seed. If you put the following formula into cell AO5 of the galaxy spreadsheet and copy it down, you should be able to find them quickly enough.

Code: Select all

=IF(AG5>=12,IF(BITAND(E5,768)=0,"ico","dodec"),"coriolis")
Thanks cim - if that's in-game TL 12 or higher, that'd be 56 of them, I think. However, it seems that I've forgotten how to use a spreadsheet (haven't really used one for years), and I only have Excel anyway. No matter - with that many of them, my stripped-down Torus OXP can't override them all.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Thanks guys for the kind words about the Ico, crazily enough for something that took so long to get around to doing it's turned out a bit rushed in the end, if i can come up with a better idea i might change the pattern used on the sides that's aren't the front ones, i've sort of fudged them a bit, the window layout could be better - at the moment it's just a copy/paste of some tiny squares i drew out and plastered them randomly all over the hull! :lol:
Tichy wrote:
Will it be included with the dodo in the all-in-one package?
no i don't think i'll include any of the stations in the all-in-1 as they've turned out to be quite big OXPs, the high-rez ones are about 25Mb each, putting the 3 stations and the rock hermit in will double the download size to about 200Mb, although i could maybe make a bundle OXP with all the stations in - just the low-res ones though as the high-res versions will be over the 50Mb max filesize limit at box
superbatprime wrote:
If I install P.A Groove stations I will still see the core Griff shipset stations (including the new Ico installed as a separate oxp) right? I don't remember reading anywhere that they were complimentary for sure, but I seem to have this feeling they are?
I think by default my new Ico oxp will just stop the standard shipset ico stations from appearing, it's fairly easy to stop this though and get the original ico back in the mix, just delete the shipdata-overrides.plist file from the config folder in my Ico oxp, it has a line in it that changes the 'role' of the standard ico station from 'station' to an unused role, this means that the standard ico never gets picked by Oolite when it looks for a station to add to your game.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I'd vote for including the low-res versions in the all-in-one, because only with all ships included it can be a true replacement set. :D

The bigger textures could be additional downloads with instructions how to replace the low-res textures, for those who want the full glory (and whose machines don't choke on the full glory).
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Fantastic station Griff ! :D
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Griff wrote:
i don't think i'll include any of the stations in the all-in-1 as they've turned out to be quite big OXPs, the high-rez ones are about 25Mb each, putting the 3 stations and the rock hermit in will double the download size to about 200Mb, although i could maybe make a bundle OXP with all the stations in - just the low-res ones though as the high-res versions will be over the 50Mb max filesize limit at box
I have a 100MB max filesize box account you can use if you would like to make a high-res Station Pack. Just PM me and I'll set up a folder for your use.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Diziet Sma wrote:
I have a 100MB max filesize box account you can use if you would like to make a high-res Station Pack. Just PM me and I'll set up a folder for your use.
That's a very kind offer Dizzy! :D I just checked on box and it looks like i was wrong about the max filesize, it is 100MB (although i think someone on here was kind enough to upgrade my account to this as part of some special offer box were doing a while back). I'll try and sort out a station bundle oxp that collects the rock hermt, coriolis, dodo and ico stations together
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Griff wrote:
I just checked on box and it looks like i was wrong about the max filesize, it is 100MB (although i think someone on here was kind enough to upgrade my account to this as part of some special offer box were doing a while back).
Yup.. I acquired my 100MB limit the same way.. :wink: :D
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

You can always put a complete high-res pack out on my site, Griff. If you'd like, I can even make some pages for your stuff, kinda like I did for Simon's OXP's.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Oo, that sounds great! - with all stations added in the complete oxp will grow to about 200Mb, is that going to be ok? seems a bit massive, will your bandwith allowance be OK?
In the meantime
I've made some bundle OXPs that collect together my Coriolis, Dodo, Ico and Rock Hermit stations that currently don't appear in the all-in-1 bundle oxp
griff_station_bundle_fullsize_tex: https://www.box.com/s/yz07bg1lmzwhtz2fm6h0 (91.6MB)
griff_station_bundle_halfsize_tex: https://www.box.com/s/1e4qdmahwvvmtd4a5w5i (25MB)
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

200MB shouldn't be an issue. My hosting plan is 150GB of space and unlimited bandwidth. You're not even putting a dent in it. :P
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

...and if you run out you can always use some of my 100GB too.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Griff wrote:
I've made some bundle OXPs that collect together my Coriolis, Dodo, Ico and Rock Hermit stations that currently don't appear in the all-in-1 bundle oxp
griff_station_bundle_fullsize_tex: https://www.box.com/s/yz07bg1lmzwhtz2fm6h0 (91.6MB)
Crikey Griff! That all seems to work fine, straight out of the box - all three station types and hermits checked out!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Thanks for testing the oxp El Viejo, luckily it's just 4 already released oxps mashed together so the chances of me breaking things somehow were as low as they could be!
I don't know, there's something a bit rubbish about my new Ico hull, now that i've seen it in game quite a bit it just sort of looks unfinished, i think i'll have another look at some of the texturemaps and do something about the spray of windows all over it, but if i do get any better textures happening i'll update all the ico oxps and put up the changed files in a smaller download, save having to regrab the entire bundle oxp just to get an updated hull texture :D
Cody

Post by Cody »

Griff wrote:
... there's something a bit rubbish about my new Ico hull, now that i've seen it in game quite a bit it just sort of looks unfinished, i think i'll have another look at some of the texturemaps...

If you do, maybe try another colour other than orange? A purely personal preference is that, though.
Griff wrote:
... if i do get any better textures happening i'll update all the ico oxps and put up the changed files in a smaller download
Good idea!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

El Viejo wrote:
If you do, maybe try another colour other than orange? A purely personal preference is that, though.
yeah, that Orange does turn a bit muddy once it's overlayed on the grime maps, i'd like the 3 stations to have different paint colours from each other, the coriolis is green, the dodo has red paint, so maybe blue for the ico? If things work out ok on the hew hull idea i've got then there's going to be a lot more paint on it (some of the 'triangles' that make up the structure will be completely painted) and it'll also be a bit more polygonish
not all of those lines will be visible in the texture, that's just a shaded wireframe view of the model making it look like there's a stipe patten all over it, in reality it's just some small triangish indents with some wedge bits, all done in the best possible taste :lol:
Last edited by Griff on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.