A question on 2084004

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

KZ9999
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Lost in Witchspace being hunted by a Thargoid Swam.

A question on 2084004

Post by KZ9999 »

Could someone please explain this to me as it's currently doing my head in. :shock:

Oolite is supposedly set sometime around 3140AD Earth Standard, and the Galactic Date is 2084004. Assuming that the GCW system is counting as the number days since the GCW was founded, this means it has been around for over 5700 Earth years (assuming 365.25 GCW days per Earth Year.) Considering that it was meant to be founded in the 2690's Earth standard, doesn't it imply that its' been only around for 450 years. My logic would state it would only be 160312 GCW standard. So where have the other 1923691 days come from. It can't be explained by a different day length as the game clock ticks the day marker over after 24 standard hours.

Help :cry:
KZ999's Oolite documents, including the new draft Oolite Game Manual, can be found at www.box.net
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Well, you could start making a couple of other assumptions:

Maybe GCW decided that the first day of the new calendar was 1000000, instead of 0.

And maybe the year 0 was decided to be something of historical significance at the time, instead of the actual year the GCW was created.

After all, the AD calendar we're using now was decided upon at a much later date. And I've no doubt that the AUC system used around the mediterranean before that was agreed upon quite a few years after Remus (or was it Romulus?) decided to build a new city...

Then, as long as we can find a semi-significant event for that date, symbolically related to the GCW as it was, 450-odd years before game start, you should suddenly start to feel better! ;)

One possibility, if the dates actually check out: first official recording of the halley comet, the first official symbol of the GCW?

Sudden thought! Didn't the Hegira / Hijra happen around 1000000 oolite time? Maybe we're all Muslim In Space TM, and we just never noticed! :D
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

I would find it really cool if the game clock was reset to 01-01-3140 at game start, and for more experienced players calculated the new date.

That way, it would convey the feeling of really measuring ingame time - that long number simply doesn't do it for me.

New feature for 1.74? At least an optional one that could be switched on?

:?:

L
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Or it could be that we’re using an appropriated alien calendar with widely-known advantages that any schoolkid could explain to you.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Is it 1000 "days" before it clicks over to 2085?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

It used to be something like dd-mm-yyyy at the beginning of GalCop, until representatives of the rodent, frog and insectoid species put an official complaint in that they are unable to follow such an illogical and unnecessarily complicated calendar (the felines and humanoids were OK with it though). As a result of the protest, the change to 2084004 style occured and everyone lived happily ever after.

Hopefully this explains sufficiently one of the less known parts of GalCop History.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

another_commander wrote:
It used to be something like dd-mm-yyyy at the beginning of GalCop, until representatives of the rodent, frog and insectoid species put an official complaint in that they are unable to follow such an illogical and unnecessarily complicated calendar
Hey, here on the continent we are a bit backward. We in Holland (and Austria also) still say one-twenty when we mean twenty-one. And hundred-twenty-one we call: hundred-one-twenty. Only by the time we manage to say these low numbers in a logic way, we can start think about complex stuff like calendar dates. But we already have progress as in writing we in Holland already have the order right, now only in speech.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

another_commander wrote:
Hopefully this explains sufficiently one of the less known parts of GalCop History.
It was about time, I say.
Cody

Re: ..

Post by Cody »

Lestradae wrote:
Very witty, L.

Still I ask: Is it 1000 "days" before it clicks over to 2085?
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ..

Post by Lestradae »

El Viejo wrote:
Lestradae wrote:
Very witty, L. Still I ask: Is it 1000 "days" before it clicks over to 2085?
:P

The days issue was debated some time ago under the header of "how long have you spent in the Ooniverse ingame" and back then the general consensus seemed to be that yes, these are 1000 days.

You have seconds, minutes and hours, next the big number that is supposed to be days. So going up 1000 should be roughly 2 3/4 years spent imgame, 1000 days.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Thanks L.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Eric Walch wrote:
another_commander wrote:
It used to be something like dd-mm-yyyy at the beginning of GalCop, until representatives of the rodent, frog and insectoid species put an official complaint in that they are unable to follow such an illogical and unnecessarily complicated calendar
Hey, here on the continent we are a bit backward. We in Holland (and Austria also) still say one-twenty when we mean twenty-one. And hundred-twenty-one we call: hundred-one-twenty. Only by the time we manage to say these low numbers in a logic way, we can start think about complex stuff like calendar dates. But we already have progress as in writing we in Holland already have the order right, now only in speech.

likewise in danish

one twenty, instead of twenty-one

we also use dd-mm-yy, not mm-dd-yy

we also use , instead of . when doing this

100.000,-

meaning

one hundred thousand, comma meaning point and the connection line a method of preventing fraud with the cents... which are called øres in danish.. yes ø is a special letter... rødgrød med fløde.. kurv = pølse ;-)

not

hundred point zero zero zero comma minus
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Likewise with almost all languages except english, they have the word order wrong. As my latin teacher once said, "The girls the wolf is eating." :lol:
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

wackyman465 wrote:
Likewise with almost all languages except english, they have the word order wrong. As my latin teacher once said, "The girls the wolf is eating." :lol:
Latin word order generally doesn't matter, because it's highly inflected. I am only reminded of this because of all that messing about with planet names the other night...

Order words confusing most Japanese are! German better is. - At least the subject is still first, so you know what the hell the sentence is about, before you start doing stuff to it* and/or describing it. In Japanese you hear what's about to happen and how it looks before you find out what it's happening TO!

* to = with, by, from, or unto. :-)
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

It's beginning to look like China might be the first to colonise space, since the States are rapidly losing interest and Russia have other problems...

...so any good dates in the Buddhist calendar?

Although Islam appears to be growing fast so maybe China-first-to-space DOES imply Muslim society in the Ooniverse...