shield strengths

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

phonebook
Deadly
Deadly

shield strengths

Post by phonebook »

are shield strengths universal? i mean the fore and aft ones, if not, what determines them?

i think its odd that a small ship would have the same shielding as a huge one, or is it a factor of size? tho from the shipsdata plist, size doesnt seem to come into it

i notice the ai ships, and an anaconda takes a lot more killing thab a police viper, a krait seems to need a good few blasts in the way that a cobra mark 1 doesnt- are these all to do with energy banks rather than inherent shield strength?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

NPC ships don't actually have shields, just "energy" (which is broadly equivalent in the end), and that varies per ship type.

The anaconda has a larger max energy than the viper (500 vs 180), hence it takes more killing.
phonebook
Deadly
Deadly

Post by phonebook »

as i suspected!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

NPCs can also fit equipment including shield boosters and military shields, so one Cobra may be tougher than another depending on whether or not the particular ship has any shield boosting equipment.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
goran
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by goran »

Thargoid wrote:
NPC ships don't actually have shields, just "energy" (which is broadly equivalent in the end), and that varies per ship type.

The anaconda has a larger max energy than the viper (500 vs 180), hence it takes more killing.
LittleBear wrote:
NPCs can also fit equipment including shield boosters and military shields, so one Cobra may be tougher than another depending on whether or not the particular ship has any shield boosting equipment.
If former statement is true, and I believe that it is, what is the purpose of fitting shield boosters? 2x0 is still 0. :?:
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

In their case it just gives more energy, so works in an equivalent way to a player having them, in terms of being harder to kill.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

gorans wrote:
If former statement is true, and I believe that it is, what is the purpose of fitting shield boosters? 2x0 is still 0. :?:
Correct, but it is the max_energy that is enlarged for NPCs if they have boosters or military shield enhancements, instead, so no contradiction there.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: ...

Post by Eric Walch »

Lestradae wrote:
gorans wrote:
Correct, but it is the max_energy that is enlarged for NPCs if they have boosters or military shield enhancements, instead, so no contradiction there.
It is the name that is not correct for NPC. For player there is a differentiation between plain energy and shield energy. With NPC there is just one energy: read the wiki here
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Which leads to several unfortunate limitations, such as NPCs getting damaged equipment which should be possible once the shields are depleated, and that players can turn around exposing fresh rear shield to fire, whereas for NPCs this kind of strategy makes no sense.
goran
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by goran »

Understood. :)

BTW, is shield_enhancer available as EQ for player? :)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Yes. Very simple basic kit. You don't even need to do anything special to get it. Just invest 47,550 ₢ in a TL 13 station.

Do you actually play Oolite? :oops: :wink:
goran
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by goran »

Commander McLane wrote:
Yes. Very simple basic kit. You don't even need to do anything special to get it. Just invest 47,550 ₢ in a TL 13 station.

Do you actually play Oolite? :oops: :wink:
Really dont know anymore. :roll:

I have shield boosters (EQ_SHIELD_BOOSTER) and military Shield enhancement (EQ_NAVAL_SHIELD_BOOSTER), no SHIELD_ENHANCER. :P :wink:
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

gorans wrote:
I have ... military Shield enhancement (EQ_NAVAL_SHIELD_BOOSTER), no SHIELD_ENHANCER.
It is simply named differently for players & NPCs in shipdata.plist, as these two "pieces of equipment" are actually, well, two different pieces of equipment as one has an effect on the shields of players and the second on the max_energy of NPCs, as, alas, NPCs don't have shields.

Guess that's where your confusion came from :wink:
phonebook
Deadly
Deadly

Post by phonebook »

aha! all well and good, but i have been following some other threads, and are talking about some oxp ships, that have good shields

if the shield is uniform, then how come oxp ships can have better ones?
phonebook
Deadly
Deadly

Post by phonebook »

aha! all well and good, but i have been following some other threads, and are talking about some oxp ships, that have good shields

if the shield is uniform, then how come oxp ships can have better ones?