Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

silly me

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

phonebook
Deadly
Deadly

silly me

Post by phonebook »

this ought to be childsplay to someone!

i loaded my save file in notepad, but forgot to uncheck "always opens with this"

didnt think it would make a difference to oolite

but

it did! now when i go to load new commander, its a blank screen

then

i tried to clear the associate file types, by creating a new file type called oolite-save, well it did clear the file association

but

in oolite, still nothing

then

i uninstalled and reinstalled oolite (it doesnt get rid of the saved games)- still nothing

so

i saved a new commander in the re install

and still nothing- i can see them when i look for them in windows xp

but not in oolite

the load commander page is just a blank screen

please help me!!!! please please please!!!
Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rustybolts »

STE.+ Firefly/Dragonfly + BlackJacksbullion v.1.23 link below.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ca16 ... f6e8ebb871
phonebook
Deadly
Deadly

Post by phonebook »

i would love to to that - but there isnt a file associations menu and no open options to delete!

i think i have compounded the problem by telling windows that there is a file type called oolit-save,

it doesnt appear on the list of file extension in the folder options thingy so i cant tell windows to forget that it exists

bugger
Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rustybolts »

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307859
provides more in depth howto
I don't understand why oolite is'nt loading it though unless you have changed where it is located or changed its extension
Last edited by Rustybolts on Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Mine by default are associates with wordpad and open fine. Some things I would check:

1) When you saved it, did notepad (or whatever) add a .txt at the end of the filename? Check using Windows Explorer, and if you have the annoying "feature" of hiding known file extensions turned on, turn that off...

2) Is Oolite pointing at the correct folder when you're trying to open the save game? There are details on the screen itself on how to move around your HD directory tree to go to the correct folder.

My 2 credits are on 1) ;)
Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rustybolts »

Lol @ Thargoid i always edit my post shortly after posting with things i should of said, in this case in the mean time you have posted similiar.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Notepad is well known to do strange things. And the best of all it's not consistently doing it. When this happens it changes the format to Windows/Dos ANSI. Oolite complains about it with a UTF-8 error message in Latest.log, so the only chance is to convert it.

You could try Notepad++
phonebook
Deadly
Deadly

Post by phonebook »

the oolite load commander page is black as coal- no instructions or nothing :(

it just says select commander , then the fulscreen down to that round thingy at the bottom is blank
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

It should say Commander Name and Rating below the line under Select Commander, followed by a list of the available commanders.

Above that list it should say the name of the folder above the one you're in (normally (..)oolite.app) and then underneath that any sub-folders from the folder your in, prefixed by >>. You should also have a spinning ship on the right hand side, the ship depending on what the selected commander is equipped with.

If you're seeing absolutely nothing on that area, then my guess would be some sort of graphics driver problem preventing fonts appearing or some such, but that's by no means a definitive answer.
phonebook
Deadly
Deadly

Post by phonebook »

but it was working fine before all this stuff :(

i think i need to get xp to forget about the oolite-save file extension

but because is doesnt come up in the list, i dont know how!
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Very likely notepad saved your file as [commander-name].oolite-save.txt

If you got your folders settings to the 'standard' (please read 'brain-dead', but I'm probably biased) 'hide extension for known file types', then windows will 'helpfully' hide the extra .txt at the end of the file for you.

Needless to say, if a file ends with .txt, it doesn't actually end with .oolite-save, and oolite won't display it in the load game screen.

To correct the problem, switch off the hide extension 'feature' from the folder settings, and remove the .txt extension at the end of the file name.

To avoid the same problem happening with .plists, etc... you can always use Wordpad, which doesn't add a .txt extension to everything it edits, like notepad does.

Or as Svengali mentioned already, the free notepad++ editor is a lot easier to use than either notepad or wordpad. With that one, you should be able to remove any extra characters notepad added to the file!

Hope this helps.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
phonebook
Deadly
Deadly

Post by phonebook »

i have found the answer!!!!

moved all the oolite save files so it was empty

suddenly i could see at least a bit more than select commander

i saved a new game
low and behold i could see that!

so....

i associated the file with wordpad

then

went into tools folder options

and deleted the association

lo and behold- all seems to be well

thank you all who took the trouble to think about this

i am just so pleased i can play the game again
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Good, good and good!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
BuggyBY
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: silly me

Post by BuggyBY »

If you'll forgive this act of thread necromancy, I'd just like to point out that this is thread #6502 on these forums, a.k.a. the processor model number of the BBC Micro, Apple IIe, (mostly) NES and Commodore 64 (among others) which all ran the original Elite! It's just a pity the subject matter isn't more nostalgia-inducing, but I guess we can't have everything.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: silly me

Post by Gimi »

BuggyBY wrote:
If you'll forgive this act of thread necromancy, I'd just like to point out that this is thread #6502 on these forums, a.k.a. the processor model number of the BBC Micro, Apple IIe, (mostly) NES and Commodore 64 (among others) which all ran the original Elite! It's just a pity the subject matter isn't more nostalgia-inducing, but I guess we can't have everything.
Actually, the Commodore 64 used the MOS_Technology_6510. Apart from that, fun angle.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).