Hacker outposts

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Tivva
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Right behind you in a cloaked Thargoid Warship prototype

Hacker outposts

Post by Tivva »

Is it possible to find out which Anarchy systems have a hacker outpost?
Is it fixed (pre determined) or a random decision by the oolite engine?

Just struggling to find one in Gal 7.... :evil:
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Hacker outposts

Post by Screet »

Tivva wrote:
Is it possible to find out which Anarchy systems have a hacker outpost?
Is it fixed (pre determined) or a random decision by the oolite engine?

Just struggling to find one in Gal 7.... :evil:
There's typically a viper with that information. If you're non-clean or clean and fight it without killing it, it should reveal that information, thus updating your advanced space compass.

Screet
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Tivva wrote:
Is it fixed (pre determined) or a random decision by the oolite engine?.... :evil:
Its fixed and random. :twisted: Or more precise random that gives a fixed number for each system. So you cant get the locations from the code but the systems will always be the same.
Tivva
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tivva »

Screet wrote:

There's typically a viper with that information. If you're non-clean or clean and fight it without killing it, it should reveal that information, thus updating your advanced space compass.

Screet
Hi Screet m8,
Typically yes, but in Gal 7 after just making a high profile hit for the assassins guild & killing a few Galcop bystanders- thus making me Fugitive with a Effing high bounty & thus public enemy no 1 I can't find a Hacker outpost or a Hacker viper to point me the way. I've been to almost every Anarchy system. Working my way through the list...

Frustrating, as the hit is easy, but surviving the aftermath is hard...
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

Have you tried flying towards the sun?
Tivva
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tivva »

Zbond-Zbond wrote:
Have you tried flying towards the sun?
Always- to refuel, once at Fugitive status you are no longer welcome to dock at Galcop stations...

But finally found a Hacker outpost this evening & on the first attempt (for a measly 1000cr) bought a multipass that changed me from Fugitive number 1 to clean. :P

Thanks for all comments & help
Tiv
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Tivva wrote:
But finally found a Hacker outpost this evening & on the first attempt (for a measly 1000cr) bought a multipass that changed me from Fugitive number 1 to clean. :P
You are aware that the sub-ether broadband connection set you back another 7000 ₢, are you? :wink: Don't take the hackers for cheap guys. :twisted:

Oh, and for your next search for a Hacker Outpost, keep in mind the description from the readMe:
wiki wrote:
Even if the Hackers prefer Anarchies with a higher tech level, they are still technologically far ahead of that themselves.
In clear speech this translates to a TL-range from 7-9. You won't find Hacker Outposts in Anarchies with a lower TL. (And there are no Anarchies with a higher TL.)

And by the way: A (probably) cheaper alternative to the Multipass is offered by Salvage Gangs in medium-TL Anarchies (TL 4-6). They are also easier to find. Just try it out. 8)
Tivva
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tivva »

Commander McLane wrote:

In clear speech this translates to a TL-range from 7-9.

And by the way: A (probably) cheaper alternative to the Multipass is offered by Salvage Gangs in medium-TL Anarchies (TL 4-6).
Thats exactly the info I was trying to find to suss out where the Hackers were.
I never thought about the Salvage gangs, Doh, but I didn't come across one either...

Thanks Commander
onephatsmegger
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by onephatsmegger »

Hi, newbie here. Couldn't find a newbie thread (apologies if there is one and I missed it!) Been an Elite player since '84 and have kept up to date with all the Oolite releases. Only thing is, I'm having the same problem finding anything different in Anarchy systems after installing Anarchies oxp. I'm running Oolite 1.72.2 and have Anarchies v2.2 installed, but can't find any Hacker Vipers, Outposts or Salvage Gangs. Can someone help or point my Supercobra in the right direction? Thanks :)

P.S. I don't know a thing about building my own OXP's - wouldn't know where to start, but have to say congrats to those of you who have contributed to the OXP's. Great work!

Edit: Sorted it. Made a juvenile schoolboy type error and all is fine now. Nice to meet you all :)
Be careful, man. There's a beverage here!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Hi, onephatsmegger, and welcome to the boards! Kudos for fixing the problem unaided. Anything else comes up though feel free to ask – this is The Friendliest Board This Side Of Riedquat™!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Hi, onephatsmegger, and first of all welcome to the boards and of course to this great game! :D

Glad you've sorted it out. So have fun playing! :)