Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Forgotton versions of elite

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Forgotton versions of elite

Post by Rustybolts »

Any one seen these before Russian spectrum version (pentagon,scorpion)
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0017225
or this
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0012831
Have not played them as i don't know how to get trdos files to work on emuzwin
STE.+ Firefly/Dragonfly + BlackJacksbullion v.1.23 link below.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ca16 ... f6e8ebb871
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

I do not recall anything about Elite III, but Novosibirsk Elite was simply awesome. Way ahead of its time.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Both are new to me - thank-you for the link.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rustybolts »

More details here http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:OI ... clnk&gl=uk
Some missions included in the Novabirsk version include

Mission 4 - FIND MINERAL LIFE

You need to find a star system on the main diagonal of any galaxy..

The main diagonal connects the left upper and right lower corners of the galaxy.

In such a galaxy, you need to fly away from the sun, until it decreases to the size of a little star and then search for minerals there.

When you check your cargo list, if instead of common minerals, a cargo called “MINERAL LIFE” is in your hold, consider yourself a wealthy man. A ton of these goods costs 1000 CR.

Apart from that, any captured or bought tons of ordinary mineral ore is absorbed by your guests and becomes valuable mineral life too.

However if you have less than 3 tons of living crystals, they will turn into ordinary minerals. Because of that, nobody will buy less than 3 tons from you. There is also an upper limit - 63 tons (for greedy owners of Cobra MK4)

If you want to save and breed MINERAL LIFE and turn your craft into a kind of space farm, you must remember that they need to feed to live. They only eat your jewels at the moment of hyperspace. Making a characteristic noise, they eat 1 gram of GEM STONES for every ton of their own weight. If you forget to feed them three times in a row, you can forget about farming.

If your pets have died, the cargo bay of your Cobra will be inhabited by residual crystalloids, which will dissolve any real live mineral coming to your craft and you won't succeed in breeding MINERAL LIFE any more, until you exchange the bay after rescuing the Refugees (Mission 1).

Mission 5 - ALIEN COMPUTER

You need to fight with a Thargoid until a container is ejected from a defeated Thargon ship (old construction type). This container is similar to ordinary cargo containers. It appears quite far from the place where you destroyed your opponent and has its own engine which makes capturing it harder. What's more, if there are other Thargoids nearby, they will try to capture it before you, and you know how fast they are. If you fail to obtain this trophy, it doesn't mean that the possibility of capturing it is forever lost. You can continue your hunt and those who seek, will eventually find!

After capturing the “ALIEN COMPUTER” you can, using your missile targeting system, use captured “ALIEN ITEMS” (Tharglets. Realeased from Motherships) (press “D” and “F” at the same time). When you destroy your target with a laser or collision, your “ALIEN ITEMS” will, like a boomerang, return back to your ship. You just have to maneuver carefully to avoid hitting it (it won't damage you much, but it may be harmful to the item).

ALIEN ITEMS are useful only in fights against Thargoids or during destroying orbital stations. Other craft will easily defend against and destroy them with their lasers.

Mission 6 - BUY A COBRA MK-4

It can be completed only in a planet system situated on the main galaxy diagonal (the same as in Mission 4 - Mineral Life).

You must fly towards the sun. If you manage somehow to go through the dangerous zone, where there are attacks all the time, you will eventually reach two “Coriolis” type stations situated close to the star. You should dock with one of them. The best way to do this is manually, so have a practice before..

If you haven't forgotten to bring 250000 credits with you, the MK-4 is yours.

Well, you can always become a mechanic and keep flying an updated MK-3 type, but you will never reach colonel rank that way, and without a Cobra MK-4 it is practically impossible to make a landing at an occupied planet station.

Mission 7 - THARGOID INVASION

At some point of the game, when you reach the rank of ELITE and the game starts to get a bit boring, a huge Thargoid invasion into Galaxy 1 will commence !

You will receive a message about it on your main screen:

“MAYDAY! GALAXY 1 INVADED!”

You don't need to hurry, you will have enough time. After arriving in Galaxy 1 you will notice that some planet system forces are undertaking battle maneuvers (RESISTING) and some are already captured by these damn insects (OCCUPIED). Check the planet information, and you will notice that the center of the invasion is located at the west side of galaxy, close to the “TIBEDIED” system.

It's a dangerous thing to make your flights close to a frontline zone. You might be met in interstellar space by groups of Thargoids (sometimes up to 6 ships, and many of them are often invisible) and visiting occupied planets practically equals suicide. Try it yourself.

The general war scenario is the following. In the beginning the Thargoids will make a rapid attack and with every advancement of their armada you will receive the “MAYDAY” message. But in time the galaxy will get more and more support. Simple traders like you will join the groups of voluntary defenders (although defectors and traitors will appear also) and the Thargoid blitzkrieg, planned for centuries will lose its momentum. They capture a big part of the first galaxy, but their plans are doomed. When the Federation starts to win, S.O.S. messages will stop appearing and a quick liberation will begin.

You can ignore the war and get on with your own business. The war will begin and end positively without your help. But you may join Federation forces and try to build a war career for yourself, and if your missions go well, you may speed up the victory of the good guys.

You can join galaxy voluntary forces at any fighting planet (RESISTING). Just answer “YES” to the question that you will be asked.

You will get Lieutenant rank and obtain the following missions:
1. Evacuate refugees from warring (RESISTING) planets. It's almost the same as the standard Mission 1, but it's not a one time only job. You must make journeys from resisting planets to planets untouched by war. You must continue until your command decides to increase your rank. After your last successful flight, when you come to collect your next group of refugees, you will be informed about your reaching the rank of “CAPTAIN” and about your new goals.
2. Deliver firearms and food to frontline planets. Like any other volunteer you are on your own. You must buy the required items on non-resisting planets, transport them and then sell them on a station located in the military zone. Of course, if you act smart, you can also earn a little bit of extra money along the way.

3. Your next rank is Major and your next task is more complicated (and more interesting) than the previous two.

You must perform a landing operation into a Thargoid occupied station. You collect troops at a resisting station (key “2” buy, just like getting the refugees in missions 1 and 7.1). From that moment on, you will have a small “Sidewinder” type craft on board which is equipped especially for landing and has had most of its weapons removed, except for the autopilot system. Instead of a missile firing, the ship will undock and will fly towards the target chosen by you, which should be a station located on any occupied planet. The problem lies in reaching such a station, as unwanted visitors are met by a pack of Thargoids, just like super fugitive pilots are met by police squads in galaxies 2 to 8. To avoid the destruction of your landing ship by Thargoids, approach the station as close as possible and only then launch the landing ship. You don't need to worry about close 1 to 1 combat, because as soon as the landing ship goes into the station, you will get the message “RIGHT ON COMMANDER” and you can turn on your docking computer.

4.Your next rank is Lieutenant-Colonel and here is your next (and final) task. You must locate and destroy a Thargoid command base (they are using a stolen “Coriolis” station for this purpose). They have moved it into an unknown galaxy sector. Your headquarters only knows that it is located somewhere close to the “TIBEDIED” system. To find it you must use all methods of movement in Witchspace (explanation for dummies: Witchspace is where there aren't any planets or stars).

If you don't even manage to accomplish this mission, you will receive, at the end of the war, the rank of Colonel anyway.

*may be some ideas for new mission oxps here* :D
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Parts of mission 7 sounds along similar lines to my ever upcoming TCAT. Not that I've had any time to even look at it in the last couple of months... :evil:
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

It sounds also similar to the repetetive missions you get in Cataclysm while you are crossing Galaxy 3.

Perhaps I could add a delivery type of mission to the four existing random missions in a future version... :)
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

Wow, so obscure even Wikipedia doesn't know about it!

What was the deal with this - was it decompiled from the original and then enhanced, or was it a rewrite behind the curtain, or... what?
Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rustybolts »

zevans wrote:
Wow, so obscure even Wikipedia doesn't know about it!

What was the deal with this - was it decompiled from the original and then enhanced, or was it a rewrite behind the curtain, or... what?
I dunno, but i have managed to get them working heres link for download.
Ian bells site has them available to download here in tap format
http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/ar ... 100020.zip.
Elite 3 features 128k Ay sound chip and plays pretty smooth. Has the ability to sell slaves as organ donors or rework narcotics to sell at higher price. An extra set of equipment on new screen. Mega galactic hyperspace generator, Energy super generator, Galactic hyperspace generator, Energy laser, supplementary cargo bay and planet hyperspace all these just available from lave haven't ventured much further. Blew up once on docking and second attempt got blew up by galcop just as about to dock at Leesti. :D
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

"In such a galaxy, you need to fly away from the sun, until it decreases to the size of a little star and then search for minerals there."

Which can never happen In Oolite as long as we have the double precision error thing...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Ace Garp
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Ace Garp »

Heads up everyone.

Rustybolts' link http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:OI ... clnk&gl=uk states that Elite 4 is due in 1994. (At the bottom of the page)

Where can I get it?

(That's worse vaporware than Duke Nukem Forever! Although Elite 4 was genuinely proposed in 1998.)
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

Ace Garp wrote:
Rustybolts' link http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:OI ... clnk&gl=uk states that Elite 4 is due in 1994. (At the bottom of the page)

Where can I get it?

(That's worse vaporware than Duke Nukem Forever! Although Elite 4 was genuinely proposed in 1998.)
Frontier Developments are allegedly still working on it, but fessed up some time ago that it will not be released until after Outsider... and no, I don't understand what's so great about Outsider either!