Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Blender 3D

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Pirate92
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Blender 3D

Post by Pirate92 »

I use blender 3d and want try making my own models for oolite, but what should I export them to? and which file do I put them in?

Thanks!
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

Hellooo there, export them as wavefront .OBJ and convert them to .DAT, here's a good place to start..
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t= ... sc&start=0

They're a nice lot here, I'm sure they'll help you out once you're underway, currently distracted by other games myself.. toodle pip!
Capt. Slog
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Blender 3D

Post by Capt. Slog »

Pirate92 wrote:
I use blender 3d and want try making my own models for oolite, but what should I export them to? and which file do I put them in?

Thanks!
I tried Blender a while back. Not sure what advantages it has over Wings. It would be interesting to see how you get on.
Pirate92
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Pirate92 »

I think it's key adventages are it's open source, and is designed to sustain a wider veriety then most programs. What files do I put the model in?
Capt. Slog
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Capt. Slog »

Pirate92 wrote:
I think it's key adventages are it's open source, and is designed to sustain a wider veriety then most programs. What files do I put the model in?
If you have followed the link above you should have python installed. Create a folder of your choosing and copy the files dat2obj.py, obj2dat.pf and the dat file of the ship you are changing (easier than starting from scratch). Run the command dat2obj.py shipname.dat and you should have the obj file ready for import. Have you checked out some of the sticky forums at the top of the list, Modellers Cove and others?
Pirate92
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Pirate92 »

I thought I followed the links... I'll go again to make sure. But right now I'm on my iPod so I'll have to wait a bit.
Capt. Slog
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Capt. Slog »

Shipyard, sorry.
Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rustybolts »

I used wings on my ship model, but when i used obj2dattex.py to convert it I've noticed parts of the ship appear concave when should of been convex. Is this any different when using blender or any other 3d modellers?
STE.+ Firefly/Dragonfly + BlackJacksbullion v.1.23 link below.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ca16 ... f6e8ebb871
_ds_
Deadly
Deadly

Post by _ds_ »

Rustybolts wrote:
I used wings on my ship model, but when i used obj2dattex.py to convert it I've noticed parts of the ship appear concave when should [have] been convex. Is this any different when using blender or any other 3d modellers?
Make sure that you use triangles throughout.

Faces with more than three sides will be split up into triangles; depending on the vertex order, this may not happen how you want it.
http://tartarus.org/~ds/oolite/patches, Buzzer OXP etc.
Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rustybolts »

_ds_ wrote:
Rustybolts wrote:
I used wings on my ship model, but when i used obj2dattex.py to convert it I've noticed parts of the ship appear concave when should [have] been convex. Is this any different when using blender or any other 3d modellers?
Make sure that you use triangles throughout.

Faces with more than three sides will be split up into triangles; depending on the vertex order, this may not happen how you want it.
Ty will have to try that on next models (may update old ones at some point !)
STE.+ Firefly/Dragonfly + BlackJacksbullion v.1.23 link below.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ca16 ... f6e8ebb871