Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Okay, so which galaxy are you in?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Which galaxy are you currently in right now?

G1
36%
G2
20%
G3
13%
G4
7%
G5
2%
G6
2%
G7
16%
G8
4%

Total votes: 45

ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Okay, so which galaxy are you in?

Post by ramon »

I'm going to have a go at writing a mission, and I was wondering which galaxy to set it in?
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Why limit it to a single galaxy?

I often wondered if a mission that could be created that started at different levels of difficulty depending on what galaxy it was installed in. This of course doesn't work if somebody has been all the way round!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Okay, so which galaxy are you in?

Post by Screet »

ramon wrote:
I'm going to have a go at writing a mission, and I was wondering which galaxy to set it in?
If you go after the result of most people poll where they currently are, you might end up with the wrong galaxy!

Especially G1 and G4 appear to have too many missions placed there, concerning the lack of those in other galaxies. A player typically is required to go back there multiple times (jumping through all galaxies) in order to be able to complete all those missions.

I'd suggest to go with DHs idea or have a look at how many missions are running in which system and then select one that is pretty "empty" ;)

Screet
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

Hmm...what about a mission that runs across multiple galaxies, like the Constrictor Hunt? That might be interesting.

I'll have to give that some though.

Also, this made me realise the complete lack of anything in Galactic Navy to account for the player leaving the current galaxy. I must rectify that situation.
Dream as if you'll live forever
Live as if you'll die tomorrow
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

yeah, I was thinking of some sort of hunt, like a treasure hunt or something, maybe you have to look for clues for the next destination. that might be good fun.
Davidtq
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Davidtq »

I dont think a bit of life in the later galaxies would be a bad thing, I have a habit of jumping round a bit chasing various missions then retiring to Galaxy 1 again, theres just something reasuringly homelike about Riedquat, Quator, Orerve etc...

If you wanted to make people cry make the final clue point to galaxy 7, when they have just made their way to galaxy 8 for the penultimate leg :D of course if you are that evil, making it a worthwhile reward wouldnt be a bad idea :D
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

ramon wrote:
yeah, I was thinking of some sort of hunt, like a treasure hunt or something, maybe you have to look for clues for the next destination. that might be good fun.
Look at how Constrictor Hunt is set-up so that you have an idea of what to do for your own hunt. Also, there are quite a few people here who would be happy to help you out if you need it.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

ramon wrote:
That sounds like the player should jump into those regions of the galaxies where he usually cannot get because they are not connected to the main network of planets. Then the trip surely will be something to remember ;)

Screet
overmage
Deadly
Deadly

Post by overmage »

I suggest G6 and G8, those are so deserted mission-wise.
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

overmage wrote:
I suggest G6 and G8, those are so deserted mission-wise.
Okay, that seems sensible.

I'm going to rock the very foundation g6 was created on - or something like that in - classic movie trailer voice over style.
overmage
Deadly
Deadly

Post by overmage »

sounds like a plan, right on commander!
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

Go for it. Let us know what you come up with.
Davidtq
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Davidtq »

Bah, I should have stayed out of this thread - now Ive gone and given myself ideas, and I KNOW I have no time to learn how to write missions to put it into action myself :x.
pleb87
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by pleb87 »

I am currently exploring Galaxy 8... There's not a great deal to do here though, you could be the first to OXP this part of the vast and mighty Co-Operative!
Riff
Average
Average

Re: Okay, so which galaxy are you in?

Post by Riff »

ok so what happened to the treasure hunt mission. did anything ever come of it, or is it still in the planing stage :?