Collision damage problems

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Collision damage problems

Post by Screet »

Hmmm. Almost did add this to "awesome moments", but I guess it belongs here:

Argh. This should pretty much be impossible...but only turned out to be impossible to survive. Another Thargoid hive was waiting for it's destruction and I did help the navy with the Thargoid fleet first, as there were also a few traders stuck in space. Luckily a python did show up, offering them a refuel and those bugs ships where reduced to scrap metal.

I then did proceed towards the hive...but got masslocked by an approaching warship. "Guardian System Activated" *BANG* and I was low on energy. Those drones did activate while I was still slowing down from torus drive and hit my aft shields with such an immense force that there was almost no energy left. Lucky.

I reactivated torus drive and made my way towards the hive. Somehow the mass lock did only kick in while I was already INSIDE the hive :shock: Never been flying into a small openening this fast. My ship stood still much closer to the core than I've ever been before. I thought I was lucky again - but the attempt to turn around at 0 speed caused my Caduceus (stripped of all subentities in order to make this mission possible) to explode - apparantly the mass lock brought me so close to the core that the attempt to turn caused my ship to hit it. *GRRRR*

Deadly collisions with zero speed does look a bit strange to me.

I had a look at collision detection and it's damage dealing in the past, but couldn't really come up with a better formula, but I guess I'm not the only one who believes that zero-speed collisions should not have such a result?!?

Screet
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

But if you're turning - you do not have zero speed - you have some speed in at least one plane! perhaps your rate of turn gave you sufficient speed at your extremes to result in death?
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

5 think damage is calculated based on speed difference and mass of two entities, so a low speed impact with something superhuge may cause unexpectedly high damage. another potential issue for big ships?
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Cmdr James wrote:
5 think damage is calculated based on speed difference and mass of two entities, so a low speed impact with something superhuge may cause unexpectedly high damage. another potential issue for big ships?
I think it's a real issue...and highly unrealistic. When I accidentally dropped my SyQuest to the floor (ceramic!) it was unharmed. With Oolite, that would already be pretty high speed from 1.x m down and because the earth has such a big mass, it would cause the vaporization of the disc ;)

I guess that somehow the formula would require to transfer impact energy into movement away from that impact zone. However, there we are at some other strange feature: If a ship does survive and is pushed aside, it currently does get far too much powerful movements - and even if the player does use the injectors to come to a stop, as soon as the ship falls out of injector speed, it instantly moves backwards again.

I just wish I could come up with some great formulas to make these things a bit more realistic. Since I currently do not have that great idea, I did post it here, in the hope that someone else knows a good way to enhance these things.

Screet