Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

oolite on xbox 360

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Deadly
Deadly

oolite on xbox 360

Post by 0235 »

oolite on xbox 360 might be possible.
has anyone heard of community games? im not sure how it works, but oolite might be able to be run on 360 by using that?
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

Why??
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

I think this is waiting for someone with the kit who wants it, to step up and volunteer to make it work.

I dont have an xbox, so I cannot, and dont have much interest in making it work. My guess is most of the devs are in the same boat.
Cows
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cows »

Why use an xbox when you have a computer that works fine?
pleb87
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by pleb87 »

Yeah, go out and buy a PS3. Not that you can play Oolite on it, but because the XBOX 360 is a poor console :P :lol: :twisted: 8)
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

pleb87 wrote:
...because the XBOX 360 is a poor console :P :lol: :twisted: 8)
Seriously, it really is.
I know someone who bought four of those things in as many months. All of the machines suffered the infamous RROD meltdown.

I question the motives of M$ for pushing such a shoddy, fail-guaranteed device. I question even more the intelligence of someone who would buy another after the first one fails, much less four of them. At $300 a pop, that gets to be a very expensive piece of disappointment.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

Personally I think the xbox is a great machine but that's by the by. I think community games on the xbox come with a price tag, which would stick oolite in the commercial gains category which would mean someone was making a profit which would mean David Braben (quite within his rights) would shut it down.

There are quite a few people on the Frontier forum who have asked for First Encounters to be updated for Xbox Live, go and add a voice to that (I have) one more won't hurt (I don't think it'll happen though unfortunately).

And why play on a console instead of a PC - well, not only because my console is attached to a 42" HD screen but it also sits in front of a really nice comfortable settee. My PC on the other hand is in my home office, on a desk and I have to sit on a not-quite-so comfortable old wooden chair! :wink:
pleb87
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by pleb87 »

...but, and forgive me if I'm wrong here, can't you connect a PC to a 42" HDTV? I mean, I have a HDMI port on my PC and surely (if I had enough money, lol) I could plug this into a HDTV and use that as my monitor?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

pleb87 wrote:
...but, and forgive me if I'm wrong here, can't you connect a PC to a 42" HDTV? I mean, I have a HDMI port on my PC and surely (if I had enough money, lol) I could plug this into a HDTV and use that as my monitor?
You certainly can.. and many HDTVs also have SVGA connectors, so you don't even necessarily need a HDMI port on your graphics card. Also, the cables are not really expensive either..

Oolite on a big widescreen with surroundsound is pretty awesome, I can tell you! :D :D 8) :twisted:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

pleb87 wrote:
you could yes....