Trunk: Missile hits energy banks instead of shields

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Trunk: Missile hits energy banks instead of shields

Post by Screet »

Hi,

I just updated to the newest trunk version and had a very strange experience: A missile went through my defense systems and caused massive energy damage - but the shields did stay untouched. Is that some sort of special missile or a new "feature"?

Screet
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Trunk: Missile hits energy banks instead of shields

Post by Eric Walch »

Screet wrote:
I just updated to the newest trunk version and had a very strange experience: A missile went through my defense systems and caused massive energy damage - but the shields did stay untouched. Is that some sort of special missile or a new "feature"?
Have you by any chance my experimental penetrating torpedo installed? That missile/torpedo can be used by NPC ships and will penetrate your shields without damage and explode inside your ship with great damage. It works that way by design. It is slow though, so you can evade easy from it.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Eric Walch wrote:
Have you by any chance my experimental penetrating torpedo installed? That missile/torpedo can be used by NPC ships and will penetrate your shields without damage and explode inside your ship with great damage. It works that way by design.
Wow! :shock:

That's creative ... in an evil way. I like it :twisted:

:idea:

L
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Eric Walch wrote:
Have you by any chance my experimental penetrating torpedo installed? That missile/torpedo can be used by NPC ships and will penetrate your shields without damage and explode inside your ship with great damage. It works that way by design. It is slow though, so you can evade easy from it.
Not that I know of...but that sounds like a very interesting weapon ;)

Screet
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

I'm suddenly reminded of Dune (1984 version)
Gurney Hallek (Patrick Stewart's Character) - "The slow blade penetrates the shield."
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Screet wrote:
Not that I know of...but that sounds like a very interesting weapon ;)
I created the torpedo because pagroove dared me to design a missile that could destroy its Orisis megaship. Normal missiles use the command: dealEnergyDamageWithinDesiredRange to invoke damage. But very big objects don't get a scratch from a missile. So I think there must be a bug in the code somewhere. But I never could find it. The code always seems to correctly calculate with the centre distance corrected for the collision radius. Thus it always really works with the distance to the ships hull. Still big ships are never scratched.

So for the Orisis ship I designed a torpedo with 10 sub-munitions that each do 125 of energy damage directly. (About 2 energy banks each). I spawn the submunition very close to the ship, so not all charges survive the spawning. 50 till 80% does survive and does severe damage. It is almost as deadly as a q-mine so I made it as expensive as the q-mine. For ships like a behemoth or a dredger you still need several missiles, so buying a q-mine is probably more economic.

I never tested it against a player but after Screets message I did. It directly affects the energy banks without doing shield damage. But in order to survive you probably need 19 energy banks. I don't think normal players have that many, so it is just instant death for a player.

A link is in Pagrooves Orisis threat. I'm unsure if I should make it an official release in this state. In order of game balance it seems okay as it is still less deadly as an q-mine against big objects. Main advantage is that you can kill a single ship without blowing up a whole area.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Eric Walch wrote:
So for the Orisis ship I designed a torpedo with 10 sub-munitions that each do 125 of energy damage directly.
It was a single missile that did hit me...and unless L did include your new toy into OSE without me being able to see it for sale anywhere, it must have been something different that did hit me.

Screet