The Oolite Extended Project - Fork, no oxp

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Not knowing how Flash works, but once these fab Vector maps become flash based then OXP'ers who mod system details could perhaps be supplied with a base Flash file that would also mod the Flash based maps if they were installed?

(this is very long term I suspect - just a thought to leave hanging though)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I would agree with that, just go with the "trunk" mapping, but perhaps put a note on the maps or in a separate file for OXP system re-writes.

As Lestradae says, Aquatics changes Ribiera in G3 into Aqualina, and fairly much completely re-writes it (makes it a corporate tech 15). There aren't so many OXPs which make such drastic changes, but quire a few do adjust other bits like tech level, population or type.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

ClymAngus wrote:
In say 6 months after I've finished the basic maps then (be warned) I very well may take you up on that offer sir!
You do that! :wink:
ClymAngus wrote:
The maps should be like the game flexable enough to allow all ways of play.
I think there really should be a map of systems with changes made also - even people who don't (like me) play with every oxp and its uncle in will want to have information on what they will encounter!
ClymAngus wrote:
Sorry for the tread jack.
I believe that's a time-honoured tradition here 8)

Cheers

L
teacox
Poor
Poor

Post by teacox »

Hi!

First - let me introduce myself. I am Bernd 45 years and liked to play Elite back in the early 90's on a 286. Two weeks ago I discovered oolite and I am addicted again :shock: My (now) other hobby is photography.

On Monday I decided to install the shipyards, found this post an installed the test-version.

Its running smooth and looks good - but - there is an issue:

The HUD

I can see only the bars. No text. No background images. I can play, but it doesn't look that good.

Some infos:

I have oolite 1.72.2 v2 on mandriva linux 2009.1. Graphics is Nvidia. Resolution is 1680x1050. Shaders "simple" (not changeable).
It doesn't matter wether I use windowed or full-screen mode.

The problem appears with all ships (Cobra and some others).

Maybe its the graphics driver, maybe there is a simple solution (editing some config files?).

Any hints are appreciated.

Thanks,
Bernd

P.S. Very friendly community here ...

:D
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ..

Post by ClymAngus »

Lestradae wrote:
I think there really should be a map of systems with changes made also - even people who don't (like me) play with every oxp and its uncle in will want to have information on what they will encounter!
Last thread jack honest. That was my point, take a look here

http://flashexplained.com/design/making ... untry-map/

now imagin instead of names borders or what have you. You have chuncks of the map adapting depending on which oxp's you tick as having installed. so all maps become one map and the one map is the only map you need.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Hello and welcome to the board!
teacox wrote:
The HUD
I can see only the bars. No text. No background images. I can play, but it doesn't look that good.
I don't know what is causing your problem, but you can switch the HUD back to the default one in a simple way:

Locate the folder, something like
D:\games\Oolite\AddOns\A - Oolite Shipyards Extension WiP V0.4.oxp\Config
There you find a file called "HUD.plist" - disable it by adding .off or something like that. This way you can switch it on again for later attempts to solve the problem.

It's similar if you do not like the changed font, there's a file called "oolite-font.plist" which can be turned off. However, you also need to disable the textures, I believe:
D:\games\Oolite\AddOns\A - Oolite Shipyards Extension WiP V0.4.oxp\Textures
contains "oolite-font.png" which can also be added the extension ".off" ;)

Hope that this workaround helps! I myself turned the HUD to the default one because I prefer the larger scanner...

Screet
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I would also check your graphics drivers are up to date. It sounds like an issue or incompatability with them somewhere along the line.
teacox
Poor
Poor

Post by teacox »

Thank you very much!!

The workaround helped !!

The graphics driver is the uptodate nvidia driver ... But this driver is known as buggy, because a crappy lib is not working with certain picture editing software (bibble raw converter)

And now - i have music when the game starts. Nice. Didn't have it before. Maybe the Hud-Problem also surpressed the new sound files ...

Thanks again!!

:D
Bernd
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

ClymAngus wrote:
now imagin instead of names borders or what have you. You have chuncks of the map adapting depending on which oxp's you tick as having installed. so all maps become one map and the one map is the only map you need.
Wow! :shock: :shock:

Even better - very much looking forwards to that!
(Best thing would be, if that function then replaced the F6-F6 screen in the game *ducks trumble enroute from general A_C direction* ... I can dream, can't I?)

8)

L

PS: @Screet & Thargoid - thanks for the support, guys :D

PPS: Oh, and Bernd: Welcome to Oolite, the boards and OSE then! If you find something that looks weird or have suggestions in the OSE test version, feel free to tell me, that helps me make the final published thing better! Glad that you like it, also :)
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Lestradae wrote:
(Best thing would be, if that function then replaced the F6-F6 screen in the game *ducks trumble enroute from general A_C direction* ... I can dream, can't I?)
It would be even better if we could zoom in and out of such a screen and as one zoomed into a planet, at a certain distance the entire view would switch/morph/whatever to the F7 screen and the planetinfo would appear, essentially merging the functionality of the two screens into one. The opposite would happen while zooming out, morphing back to the F6-F6 view.

See, I can dream too ;-)
teacox
Poor
Poor

Post by teacox »

Lestradae wrote:
PPS: Oh, and Bernd: Welcome to Oolite, the boards and OSE then! If you find something that looks weird or have suggestions in the OSE test version, feel free to tell me, that helps me make the final published thing better! Glad that you like it, also :)
Thank you all for the hearty welcome!

I like Oolite because it offers the freedom of choice I had with Elite combined with great graphics with the oxps. And it brings back the feelings of the 80s, when I read Douglas Adams (The Hitchhiker ist one of my favourite books even 20 years later...) At the moment I use OSE, system redux and the longest run mission. Its really great fun. I had a look at some other oxps, some of them i will try in the near future. The people here are doing real good work.

But now I try to get rid of the annoying "harmless". Long way to go ...

Cheers,
Bernd
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

teacox wrote:
Lestradae wrote:
Thank you all for the hearty welcome!

I like Oolite because it offers the freedom of choice I had with Elite combined with great graphics with the oxps. And it brings back the feelings of the 80s, when I read Douglas Adams (The Hitchhiker ist one of my favourite books even 20 years later...) At the moment I use OSE, system redux and the longest run mission. Its really great fun. I had a look at some other oxps, some of them i will try in the near future. The people here are doing real good work.

But now I try to get rid of the annoying "harmless". Long way to go ...

Cheers,
Bernd
Oh Harmless is easy to get rid of - install Tionsla Graveyard OXP, buy q-mine and injectors, jump to Tionsla, fly to graveyard - drop q-mine, hit injectors, switch to rear view and watch the fireworks. You should emerge from that somewhat further up the ranking scale - although your soul of course would never recover...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
teacox
Poor
Poor

Post by teacox »

Hehe, I read about the graveyard trick. But I let the dead rest in peace. I am working up the ladder. For now I am avoiding the direct routes until I can buy a military laser... If I want to have some fun with the big fishes, I use the test-pilot files of OSE. The Constitution is - wow!

Greetz,
Bernd

P.S. And yes - I know about trumbles ... 8)
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

One of my first OXPs was Deep Space Pirates. I put it in so that just jumping out of the spacelane wasn't such an attractive option.
teacox
Poor
Poor

Post by teacox »

Its not attractive, its a sure way to survive. With OSE the missiles of the friendly folks waiting for you are real deadly now. But I can wait. Then I kick ass ... 8)

Cheers,
Bernd