Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Flashers on missiles don't work in 1.72.2 - FIXED

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Flashers on missiles don't work in 1.72.2 - FIXED

Post by Lestradae »

While trying to get a, well, more photonic-looking Photon Torpedo to work I noticed that flashers on missiles don't seem to work.

Am I overlooking something? Is this intentional? Or a known bug?

Hope someone knows :?:

L
Last edited by Lestradae on Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Sounds like Berlios bug: [ Bug #14352 ] Flashers, missiles and mines
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Thanks for the info, Cmdr James, but:

Ahruman wrote on BERLIOS:
Use AI commands “switchLightsOn” and “switchLightsOff”. (Must… resist… Karate Kid joke)

I wouldn’t call it expected behaviour, but it isn’t broken enough to warrant changing it.
I tried to “switchLightsOn” via the AI - but nothing happens. The flashers still don't show up.

It seems flashers on missiles is completely broken :(
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Flashers on missiles don't work in 1.72.2

Post by Frame »

Lestradae wrote:
While trying to get a, well, more photonic-looking Photon Torpedo to work I noticed that flashers on missiles don't seem to work.

Am I overlooking something? Is this intentional? Or a known bug?

Hope someone knows :?:

L
Allready got a working photonic torpedo ;-), allthough mine is named Energy torpedo...

And the bug was reported by me... its a case of when a missile is launched by the player, then the flashers do not work... switchLightsOn do no solve the problem either. a missile launched by NPC will not have its flashers working either...

If you on the other hand spawn the missile via a js script, the flashers will work fine... however.. Then there is the little matter of getting it to snatch the players target in order for it not to self detonate to soon..

Flashers do not work on sub entities either... on my energy missile i have seen flashers on subentities show, but when i saw them, they where out of place and mystical stretched as if they where a 2d picture rotated in 3d space, so surely it is a code thing...

Now to go see if me energy Missle still work...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

It did'nt... fixed it, made it so
that launches a canistor, that spawns X number of
photon torpedoes at my desire

Here is a picture of 10 heading for an unfortunate Interceptor :twisted:

Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

And how did you fix it, Frame?

8) :?:

L
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

From his screenshot he's running v1.73, so that's probably a good start...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
From his screenshot he's running v1.73, so that's probably a good start...
Looks like a real flasher. In 1.70 flashers on subentities did not work. When switching to 1.71 my subs had suddenly active flashers. Now on 1.72 they are off again. And with 1.73 it flashes back on?
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

sorry for my very laaate reply (ill make it up with a tasty screenshot)

I don't know about flashers in 1.73, of course I'm going to test that...

These are secondary objects spawned by the missile launched, with attached js script.. That awards the player kills and score and so on... since we cannot manually set the owner of the missile...

Currently these are high in polygon usage 222 for each entity and one missile is 3 entities... :oops: this can be trimmed of course.

here is the screen shot...
think I will name it:

Sir! its all, its a full barrage. BOOM!!!!!

Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

Is it possible to script removal of kills? That might fix your problem.

It also opens up certain evil possibilities.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Frame wrote:
These are secondary objects spawned by the missile launched, with attached js script.. That awards the player kills and score and so on... since we cannot manually set the owner of the missile...
It should be possible to give submunition the parents owner as written here by Ahruman and the 1.72 release notes.
Specifically, any missile fired by a missile now inherits its parent’s owner. (This would matter if you added missiles to tharglets, for instance.) Additionally, a ship spawned by spawn: or JS spawn() will inherit its parent’s owner if the parent is a missile and the spawned ship has the property is_submunition set to true in shipdata.plist.
However, I tried it yesterday and the subs got neighter the owner or the target of their mother. I am not yet sure if this does not work or I am doing something wrong. Looking in the code however I couldn't find were it reads in the key "is_submunition". It is not in shipEntity.m or Universe.m. So probably I it was never added at all.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

The code for is_submuition exists in ShipEntityScriptMethods.m, -spawnShipWithRole: method and, although I have not tested it yet, just by looking at it it seems to do what it is supposed to.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Is it really that difficult to switch the flasers on missiles & subentities back on?

(Don't forget when answering - total noob at programming over here!)
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

I just tested... player is not awarded kills or bounty
for submunition spawned with

Code: Select all

this.ship.spawn("role",x)
Edit 1:yes that method of spawning seems not to care about s.submunition :P so testing spawnShipWithRole instead

this is the may 20 build... cant recall the revision.. but its prolly latest.. since i got the TAX text when viewing the FPS

Also..

Flashers on missiles launched from the player does still not work... not with SwitchLightsOn in the AI either...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

another_commander wrote:
The code for is_submuition exists in ShipEntityScriptMethods.m, -spawnShipWithRole: method and, although I have not tested it yet, just by looking at it it seems to do what it is supposed to.
Thanks A_C,

That code looks flawless. Still, the submunition inherits no owner and no target. I uploaded a small test file with 3 missiles. The missile with the name "Penetrating Missile" uses the submunitions. It now logs null for owner and target of the submunitions.
Nukes for testing only

The code for this missile is very straightforward and does not has a bug as far as I can see. Therefor there must be an error somewere in the source code itself and the only thing that could cause it to not work is when "isMissile" is false.

The function "fireMissile" in shipEntity explicit sets isMissile to YES. But "fireMissile" in playerEntity does not set it. But it could have set somewhere else to YES for the player.

However, when looking in for the uses of the "isMissile" property in playerEntity, I see it is used in "selectNextMissile". When that next missile "isMissile", it should set the active target to that missile when it had no target assigned to. Never saw something like that happening after firing a missile. So mabey "isMissile' is indeed false for player launched missiles.

A bit confused. :?

EDIT:
I now tested it by spawning the submunition by a NPC launched missile. Than indeed it inherits the target and owner of the mother. So this really is a bug that affects player launched missiles. Makes the wrong setting of "isMissile" more likely to me.