Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Really quick question

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Really quick question

Post by Sarin »

Really really quick...is it posible, and how, to play Oolite from flash disk (approx 800MB free). I got the idea just now, and going to school in about 5 hours where I will be on dorm, and I can't install it on school computers.

Thanks for help ;)
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Definitely possible. Assuming you are on Windows and 1.72.2, you just need to copy the entire Oolite tree to the flash disk, then use this as your RunOolite.bat file:

Code: Select all

@echo off
set BASE=%~dp0\oolite.app
set GNUSTEP_PATH_HANDLING=windows
set GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT=%BASE%
set GNUSTEP_LOCAL_ROOT=%BASE%
set GNUSTEP_NETWORK_ROOT=%BASE%
set GNUSTEP_USERS_ROOT=%BASE%
set HOMEPATH=%BASE%
"%BASE%\oolite.exe" %1 %2 %3 %4
This will allow you to run Oolite from whatever folder it is installed and does not need absolute references to paths and hard drives.

1.73 will make things even easier by simply eliminating the need to have a RunOolite.bat file. The game will be started and self-configured directly from the oolite.exe file.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I can confirm that (although not with A_C's fine bat file, mine's just hard-coded to F: drive as that's where things always seem to end up) as that's how I run Oolite.

My work's laptop is similar to yours (I can't install anything), but I've got a 2GB SD card quietly lurking in a PCMCIA adaptor from which I run Oolite, GIMP, Wings3D and a few other selected apps that our IT department would need some rather weird and wonderful excuses to put on the main drive.

And they all work fine. Just installed it onto one of my machines at home, copied the whole directory across to the card and then editted the bat file to repoint it to F: (although now I'd use A_C's as it's a better way of doing it)