Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Killed by a ghost?

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

PhilHibbs
Above Average
Above Average

Killed by a ghost?

Post by PhilHibbs »

I just killed the last of three pirates - a fer-de-lance - and as soon as he died I instantly statred getting shot. There was nothing on my radar apart from the white dots of cargo, so I hit Witchdrive Fuel Injectors but I was just annihilated by a barrage of laser fire from no-where.
Commander Learner
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Commander Learner »

What rank are you? You could have triggered the "cloaking device" mission and your target is an invisible ship.

Pleasure meeting you.
Shooting polygons since 2001
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Re: Killed by a ghost?

Post by Svengali »

PhilHibbs wrote:
...but I was just annihilated by a barrage of laser fire from no-where.
Commander Learner wrote:
What rank are you? You could have triggered the "cloaking device" mission and your target is an invisible ship.
Hehe, yes. It would be quite interesting how many kills do you have and which galaxy you're currently in.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

I think there is an OXP with a ghost ship, not the built in cloak one something else.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Oh dear, what colour was the laser fire and what legal status where you at the time?
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Cmdr James wrote:
I think there is an OXP with a ghost ship, not the built in cloak one something else.
there is, i think its named something along the lines of

the flying dutchman
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

No, he has certainly not.

I think he has come across a ship which has an equipment item installed that in my personal Ooniverse doesn't exist, and the purpose of which is to make its bearer invisible on the radar screen.

Possible suspects include caduceus.oxp.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Commander McLane wrote:
I think he has come across a ship which has an equipment item installed that in my personal Ooniverse doesn't exist, and the purpose of which is to make its bearer invisible on the radar screen.
Hehe, but in my personal Ooniverse. Maybe PhilHibbs stumbled about a pirate-Vector. They have a low chance and need a score >650 to appear at all. It's a nice and small surprise, but shouldn't be deadly for experienced Commanders, hehe. Maybe I should reduce the chance for it a bit more [currently pirate(0.2)], hmm.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Svengali wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
Hehe, but in my personal Ooniverse. Maybe PhilHibbs stumbled about a pirate-Vector. They have a low chance and need a score >650 to appear at all. It's a nice and small surprise, but shouldn't be deadly for experienced Commanders, hehe. Maybe I should reduce the chance for it a bit more [currently pirate(0.2)], hmm.
Should the vector.oxp become part of my personal Ooniverse (currently it is not), it would of course fall victim to the impermeable MASC-barrier. The sole purpose of the barrier is to let whole ships through, except their MASC. So on my side of the barrier the ship looks exactly the same as on your side, but somehow the PCMCIA-slot where the MASC was plugged in has been replaced by a painting of a dead acrylic fish eating an anamorphic metaphoric cat. Or something of the like. (Weighing in at only 89375 ₢ the painting is also much cheaper than what now dangles pathetically at the outer side of the barrier.)
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

The MASCM and it's countermeasure doesn't exist in my ooniverse, nor are they allowed to exist. Nor shall I give NPCs such devices, though I shall remove them.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Commander McLane wrote:
Should the vector.oxp become part of my personal Ooniverse (currently it is not), it would of course fall victim to the impermeable MASC-barrier.
Uuh! You're scratching a hole in the ships-hull, sucking the card out, replacing it with a dead fish? That's an extraordinary way, I'd say (and probably a surprise for that Commander too) :-)
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Svengali wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
Should the vector.oxp become part of my personal Ooniverse (currently it is not), it would of course fall victim to the impermeable MASC-barrier.
Uuh! You're scratching a hole in the ships-hull, sucking the card out, replacing it with a dead fish? That's an extraordinary way, I'd say (and probably a surprise for that Commander too) :-)
That oxp is certainly worth to install. It has some very original features. And now I just acquired the new scoop-addon from an internal mission. Downside is, that this new equipment already broke down in combat before I could use it. Currently looking for a system to repair it. :?
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Eric Walch wrote:
That oxp is certainly worth to install. It has some very original features. And now I just acquired the new scoop-addon from an internal mission. Downside is, that this new equipment already broke down in combat before I could use it. Currently looking for a system to repair it. :?
Does it mean, after damaging this baby you still have it listed in your EQ-List (F5)? That would mean that something is not working then.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Svengali wrote:
Eric Walch wrote:
Does it mean, after damaging this baby you still have it listed in your EQ-List (F5)? That would mean that something is not working then.
Yes, it is listed as damaged.

EDIT: Looking in your code, you write:

Code: Select all

this.equipmentDamaged = this.equipmentDestroyed = function(equipmentKey)
{
	if(equipmentKey == "EQ_VECTOR_SCOOPS" && player.ship.equipmentStatus("EQ_VECTOR_SCOOPS") == "EQUIPMENT_DAMAGED") {
		player.ship.setEquipmentStatus("EQ_VECTOR_SCOOPS","EQUIPMENT_OK"); player.ship.removeEquipment("EQ_VECTOR_SCOOPS"); return; }
}
I see you try to completely remove the equipment. I do not immediately see why it fails, but better write:

Code: Select all

this.equipmentDamaged = this.equipmentDestroyed = function(equipmentKey)
{
	if(equipmentKey == "EQ_VECTOR_SCOOPS" && player.ship.equipmentStatus("EQ_VECTOR_SCOOPS") == "EQUIPMENT_DAMAGED") {
		player.ship.removeEquipment("EQ_VECTOR_SCOOPS_DAMAGED"); return; }
}
And probably you can ignore the possibility of this.equipmentDestroyed as that only happens when playing in strict mode. But in strict mode none of the oxp's is loaded.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Eric Walch wrote:
Yes, it is listed as damaged.
Strange. Maybe the script somehow completely missed the notification. Could it be that more than one EQ was damaged at the same time? Via console everything was fine and even in a battle the script has got this notification, so I'm a bit puzzled.
Eric Walch wrote:
I see you try to completely remove the equipment. I do not immediately see why it fails, but better write:...
I've had some cases were a damaged EQ is not removed, so this was the workaround (sorry, forgot to report it).
Eric Walch wrote:
And probably you can ignore the possibility of this.equipmentDestroyed as that only happens when playing in strict mode. But in strict mode none of the oxp's is loaded.
Not sure about it. If I remember right I've had cases were EQs are completely destroyed. It is rare and the other EQ needs this to work properly .-)

I'll go and test it a bit more, hmm.