Ship Destroyed

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Ship Destroyed

Post by LittleBear »

I bought a 7 year old Ford Ka in the Leeds System yesterday, for a mere 2,000 Credits. Piloting it to my home system on the M1 I clipped the central barrier, bounced across two lanes of traffic and ended up in the bank of the hard shoulder. Apart from a small burn to my arm from the air-bag deploying I walked away undamaged.

Whilst this must go down as the quickest write-off in insurance history (ownership of less than 4 hours), what a great ship! The Ka deserves its safety rating!
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Holy $*&%! Must have been a few hairy seconds as the traffic spun around you... Not so good to hear about the 'ship', but good to know you're physically ok!
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Ship Destroyed

Post by Screet »

LittleBear wrote:
Whilst this must go down as the quickest write-off in insurance history (ownership of less than 4 hours), what a great ship! The Ka deserves its safety rating!
Ouch! A strange sort of luck...

My uncle and aunt had some similar test a few years ago...on the highway a truck suddenly moved to the side, turning their car upside down and they went that way for almost 100m on the lane. Their car didn't survive, but they had no injuries at all. Last thing both remember was saying goodbye to each other when they turned around...obviously much too early ;)

Screet
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Yow, LB! I suppose if you're going to have bad luck you're as well to have some bigger good luck there to trump it with! Glad to hear you're all right.
Rebecca
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rebecca »

:shock: glad to hear your ok!!

ive got a ford ka too!

B
Becca the Hermit Slayer, and part-time unpredictable avatar assassin.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Glad you're oK dude! Lucky escape!

Probably not the quickest write-off in history though - my dad used to work in a Jaguar garage. One day a bloke came in a bought a brand new Jag and drove away filled with prode. As dad walked back into the car lot, he heard an almighty bang. He ran back outside to find this brand new jag wrapped round a lamp post. Literally. The lamp post was growing out of what had once been the middle of the bonnet.

3 seconds from drive-away to write-off!
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Nice to hear that despite a near miss, you were not pressing spacebar commander!
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Also glad to hear that you simply got lucky. :D

There's nothing else to be considered here imo - the car can be replaced, you can't.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Wow, that was lucky - who'd fix the bugs in Random Hits... :wink: :roll: :)

Glad you're OK - as others say, material stuff is replaceable that's what insurance is for!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

LB, make sure you always keep one hand on the escape pod release switch from now on, OK?

Joking of course, glad to know you 're all right.
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

Glad you're okay (and feeling well enough to complete the insurance paperwork :wink: ).
Apparently, the Ka was well worth what you paid for it. Will you purchase another one? 8)
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Thanks guys. Bought an identicle one (year, specifications and colour - one careful furry feline owner) for 2,350. A little more as it had 48,000 rather than 60,000 on the clock. So other than the 300 Credits on the excess, the insurance has put me back where I was. Having driven a 38 year old Beatle for the last 5 years, I was amazed at how safe a modern cheap second hand car was though! :wink:
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Glad to hear you came out nearly unharmed :shock:
Must be a shock.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
harry747
Deadly
Deadly

Post by harry747 »

and i thought it was bad luck when my sister crashed her 3-month-old fiat uno back in the 90s. dunno exactly what happened, but that car was FUBAR too.
MacBook pro, OSX 10.8.5, Xcode 5
Randy
Competent
Competent

A paint job and a smash up

Post by Randy »

My son got a hold of a pickup truck, used. After a new paint job, and a new stereo with speakers he drove to school with his girlfriend and promptly ran off the road into a ditch where there was some construction work. He had the truck from ownership to wreck for about three weeks total and since it was in the paint shop for a week or so probably drove it a total of five times.

I thought that was pretty short but the other stories beats it.
Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens. -- Homer Simpson