Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Stars and nebulae use the glow texture

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

PhilHibbs
Above Average
Above Average

Stars and nebulae use the glow texture

Post by PhilHibbs »

I just installed 1.72.2 on my old Windows XP laptop (Pentium 4, Radeon 9700) and all the stars and stellar background images are various rotations of the glow texture. I had a similar problem on my new Vista laptop (currently back with the manufacturer) where the Trumble used the glow texture instead of the trumblekit, but that went away after a reboot. This problem is persistent. I'm using a savegame transferred over from the other laptop, and have used 1.72.2 on three different machines. Only one machine shows this behaviour.
Solas
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Solas »

all the stars and stellar background images are various rotations of the glow texture
glow texture ??
any chance of a screenshot ( or a link to )
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Stars and nebulae use the glow texture

Post by Screet »

PhilHibbs wrote:
Only one machine shows this behaviour.
Let me guess: It's the only machine which has an ATI graphics card installed.

The problem is, that current ATI drivers for Windows are NOT OpenGL compliant and feature MANY display bugs.

I finally sent my 4870x2 back to the vendor as it didn't have advertised properties and used the refund to get a GTX295 (nVidia, and really, Oolite doesn't need such power-cards!) - and everything is fine now. I also had many problems with ships not being shown properly, some ships NEVER were shown properly with my ATI cards...and now with nVidia everything is fine. It's a massively different playing experience!

Aside from that, my constant crashes and graphics errors with Crysis now also are history. Stupid company...selling high end equipment and then delivering such "quality" drivers without fixing them.

Screet
PhilHibbs
Above Average
Above Average

Post by PhilHibbs »

Yes, it's ATI. It's only a minor problem though so I'll live with it.
Solas
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Solas »

If its a minor problem then its not this one

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... a&start=15