Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

An Exceedingly Odd Asteroid

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

MKG
Dangerous
Dangerous

An Exceedingly Odd Asteroid

Post by MKG »

For all you collectors of very mysterious Ooniverse objects, here's one to add to the collection - an asteroid which isn't an asteroid.

Having a mainly empty hold, I pulled up in front of this one in the hope that my military laser would blast a few splinters off it (which probably happens to one in ten asteroids I shoot). So, I shot at it. It shot back. I didn't see anything, but I heard the hit on my shields. I shot again, and again heard the effect on my shields. Being thick, it took me a few shots to realise that, as there was nothing else in the vicinity, it had to have something to do with the asteroid itself. Only then did I notice that the asteroid was identified with the name of my ship (and, as I've put in a few modifications, it has a unique name). So, every time I shot at it, I was shooting at myself.

After staring at it and puzzling for a while, I finally flew away and left it alone, wondering what would happen to me if some AI asteroid miner happened to come across the asteroid while I was on the other side of the system.

I'd love to hear suggestions as to how this one happened.

Mike
_ds_
Deadly
Deadly

Re: An Exceedingly Odd Asteroid

Post by _ds_ »

I've seen that sort of thing happen once or twice. Once was a Thargoid (IIRC) in the middle of a fairly big battle. Shot it, shields went down, instant fugitive! :x

That said, I've not seen it for quite some time now. I'm assuming that it's been fixed…
http://tartarus.org/~ds/oolite/patches, Buzzer OXP etc.
tomsk
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by tomsk »

Similar thing happened to me once.

I came across a Supercobra - which was what I was also flying. As I hammered it with my millaser, I heard lasers hitting me. This was odd as there were no other ships around and the enemy SC was getting it on the belly so it couldn't have been him. I noticed that every time my millaser struck him, my shields and energy went down!
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

I think most users have had something like this from time to time - and not only with lasers. Missile explosions and collisions are sometimes 'mirrored' to the player too.
If it happens again please take a look at the distance to the object. I've got the feeling that this only happens if the player is close to that object.