Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Nova Mission.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Old Parishioner
Poor
Poor

Nova Mission.

Post by Old Parishioner »

Can anyone help me with the Nova mission?

I think I have all qualifications. I have over 2200 kills, a galactic hyperdrive and I'm in galaxy 4. I'd expect the Nova mission to have kicked in by now, but no. I've been tooling around for quite a while (enough time to get myself a nice Tiger with all the bits and bobs). I've completed the first two, Constrictor and Thargoid plans.

Still no sign of the bugger.

Do you need to be deadly for the mission to kick in? (2560 kills)

Thanks.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

You need more than 6 jumps in that galaxy to activate the Nova mission.
Old Parishioner
Poor
Poor

I know.

I know. I must have done about a hundred by now.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: I know.

Post by Eric Walch »

Old Parishioner wrote:
I know. I must have done about a hundred by now.
Yes, but a lot of the new equipment could spoil the mission. e.g. the mission starts with a fuel leakage forcing the player to refuel. Normally the player does it at the main station were he receives the first briefing. With fuelpods, constores and or fuel stations, the player might just refuel there and pass the system without docking. But the system will have turned into a nova so on next entering there will not be a main station. So the player still has a clue he missed the mission.

In your case you probably have not fulfilled the last thing that leads to an offer. Naming it would be a spoiler. Only thing I can say: prepare your ship already for the next galaxy.
Old Parishioner
Poor
Poor

I know what you mean.

Thanks for the response. I think I've prepared for the next galaxy, but your observations have given me a clue.

Maybe my fuel collector or something is preventing the mission??

Don't know.

Still, thanks for the help.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: I know what you mean.

Post by Screet »

Old Parishioner wrote:
Thanks for the response. I think I've prepared for the next galaxy, but your observations have given me a clue.

Maybe my fuel collector or something is preventing the mission??

Don't know.
I've been for a long time in that galaxy, also equipped with a galactic hyperdrive, but it did not become active. I've done some other oxp mission which forced me to jump out, though. Next visit was through Cataclysm and thus very short...maybe I should have stayed longer that time.

However, during the first visit, I neither had fuel stations nor fuel collector installed. Maybe something else needs to match?

Screet
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

The fuel OXPs don't block Nova, they just make it easier (and "spoil" it in that sense). The idea is that when you arrive you get a fuel leak, so you're stuck with either normal flight or (when you can) the Torus drive, you can't use fuel injectors.

As you're against the clock before the sun goes kaboom (with a sun shattering kaboom), it's part of the adding tension which the fuel OXPs undermine somewhat.

I must admit I too have never actually seen the Nova mission, and I've been resident in G4 for absolutely ages (at least back in the times when I actually played the game).
Eric Walch

Re: I know what you mean.

Post by Eric Walch »

Old Parishioner wrote:
Thanks for the response. I think I've prepared for the next galaxy,
To make sure the mission is still pending, open your save file with a text editor and do a search for the word nova. You should find something like: <key>mission_novacount</key> and the next line gives a number of jumps in G4.
You should not find <key>mission_nova</key>. When you do, it means that the mission was already triggered but you didn't dock in the system.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

If it has, I take it it's childs play to reset?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Hmm, I seem to have a Nova count of zero, a Gal drive and no other Nova mission variables in my save file, and yet I've been bouncing around in G4 for ages and no mission.

Methinks I'll have to look into this a bit further some time...

Oh and Fuel Station.oxp doesn't break the Nova mission. The script is set up that if the system is going Nova then no fuel stations or satellites are set up in it. So it's just down to the Fuel Collector (which could be done to Nova-disable) and Fuel Tanks (which I don't class as a breakage, as you have to be carrying them with you before you jump in for them to help, so unless you're psychic or cheat with save games it's just luck).
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Basically, if you get a fuel leak and go to the main station to refuel, you will be offered the nova mission. If you dock anywhere else, refuel and leave the system without docking with the main station, you won't be offered any mission.

edit:thargoid, the nova count should still go up by one for every hyperjump inside the fourth galaxy... very strange...

There's a few extra things we haven't done in the nova mission that we can do for the future: we can blow external fuel tanks, if they're there, and we could create an extra mission screen that asks the player to go to the main station if they dock anywhere else inside the nova system... we can also make sure that the leak happens again and again when undocking from any OXP station, with an extra message saying that maybe they could repair the fuel subsystem in the main station.
Last edited by Kaks on Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Thargoid wrote:
Hmm, I seem to have a Nova count of zero, a Gal drive and no other Nova mission variables in my save file, and yet I've been bouncing around in G4 for ages and no mission.
Strange as oolite increments the nova_counter on every jump in G4.

There are two G4 mission oxp that do reset this counter to zero as long as those missions are running: deposes.oxp and lovecats.oxp. When those missions are ready or when the oxp is removed, the counter should start to increase again.

Maybe there is still an other oxp that resets the counter? Or one of the above missions is started but never ended and the oxp is left in place?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

@ Kaks> Personally I'd say that's getting too unrealistic and rather pointless, especially given people can just go off-road and use the torus drive anyway.

As an alternative, why not just alert that the sun's going nova and issue an all-ships request to help the evacuation. That way the player has a proper informed choice (and shouldn't miss it entirely unless they wish to), rather than being forced or coerced into doing the mission.

Editted to add - Lovecats and deposed are both installed. Lovecats I've done and completed, I don't recall ever seeing the Deposed mission now I think about it. I'll check their mission variables or try dropping them out and see if things activate.

Yup, no deposed mission variables I can find, and lovecats is completed

Code: Select all

<key>mission_wedding</key>
	<string>THE_END</string>
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Thargoid wrote:
Personally I'd say that's getting too unrealistic and rather pointless, especially given people can just go off-road and use the torus drive anyway.
That's precisely why we refrained from blowing up the external tanks! The whole nova mission is centered around the somewhat claustrophobic(!) idea that the player is stuck in the system and really, really wants to leave the system NOW(edit:I had to disable farsun in the nova system because the original would move the nova too far away for the mission to be still meaningful!), but we don't quite want to force people down that path if they're really not that confortable with the idea.
People carrying fuel tanks don't seem to like being stuck anywhere...

The broadcast message is a good idea, but we'd have to penalise the player who bails out after reading it ('coward! how could you leave the system just like that!' etc..) which might not be everybody's cup of tea either...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Kaks wrote:
That's precisely why we refrained from blowing up the external tanks! The whole nova mission is centered around the somewhat claustrophobic(!) idea that the player is stuck in the system and really, really wants to leave the system NOW, but we don't quite want to force people down that path if they're really not that confortable with the idea. People carrying fuel tanks don't seem to like being stuck anywhere...
I wonder if that would make any difference at all! If there's a fuel leak, it doesn't seal itself as the wiki suggests, but does stay until docked and new fuel is bought! It's possible to get new fuel at the sun, but it also does instantly leak, thus I guess any fuel from fuel tanks would also just leak away, however, I have never tried that.

Screet