Problem with Galactic Navy mission

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

MKG
Dangerous
Dangerous

Problem with Galactic Navy mission

Post by MKG »

I have an oddity (behave!!). I'm running the Galactic Navy OXP on the latest test release. Up to now, I've been offered "Go to this place and help to repel the Thargoids" stuff, but now I've accepted a "Go to this system, form up with the Reserve Fleet and destroy the pirate fleet and their base" mission. The problem is that I've gone to the right place and there's no Reserve Fleet to be found. I've been backwards and forwards several times, returned to the system in which I took the mission (it didn't help), looked around the sun and way past the Witchspace beacon, cleaned out the system several times of all pirates, made heaps of money and got loads of kills ... but still no Reserve Fleet. If I go to a naval base, I get the "You have your orders" statement and, of course, my save file still shows the mission as incomplete.

I've searched the boards but can't find any similar problem. Any ideas, anyone? Or, to put it another way, HEEELLLLLLP.

Mike

EDIT: Don't worry about it - I found the answer. I finally saw the little red cross on the galactic chart - not on the system I was told to go to, but just about on the other side of the galaxy. Too late, though - the battle was over before I got there. Annoying, to say the least. However, an object lesson - check that galactic chart for your mission destination and don't assume that the name given in the mission briefing is the correct one.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Problem with Galactic Navy mission

Post by Screet »

MKG wrote:
EDIT: Don't worry about it - I found the answer. I finally saw the little red cross on the galactic chart - not on the system I was told to go to, but just about on the other side of the galaxy. Too late, though - the battle was over before I got there. Annoying, to say the least. However, an object lesson - check that galactic chart for your mission destination and don't assume that the name given in the mission briefing is the correct one.
I don't remember that behaviour from my many navy missions. That's really strange...but then I've always went for the red mark on the screen...so it could well be that I always missed such a problem for that reason.

The pirates frigate does give a nice bounty and it can be shot off at great distance. Nowadays I typically fly ahead of the reserve fleet...the pirate base has always been in the trading lane between "W" and planet.

Screet
MKG
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by MKG »

Strange indeed - but it's happened again. I've had two other missions with exactly the same error. It seems that it never happens with the Thargoid missions - it's always the pirate version. Casting my mind back, I don't think I've had a pirate mission which didn't have the error - it names one system but puts the cross on another.

I've put it down to the strangeness of the Ooniverse.