Lave Academy OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Lave Academy OXP - v1.02b (More Academies)

Post by Cmdr James »

ClymAngus wrote:
Communists control everything in Galaxy 4
Its the Communinati ?
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Lave Academy OXP - v1.02b (More Academies)

Post by ClymAngus »

Cmdr James wrote:
ClymAngus wrote:
Communists control everything in Galaxy 4
Its the Communinati ?
Well there's the big old cluster of self sufficient democracies centre bottom. Hey don't blame me, blame Ian and David. :D

My main point is if people are in agreement with the general idea of the academy structure I was going to see if I could map them (after I've done the basic maps of course).
Dr Beeb
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Dr Beeb »

an echo of the German Democratic Republic? :D

I'm not trying to rewrite or destroy other canon, I just wanted it to be more fun for the player: they could take their latest ship to a nearby academy to try out Thargoid & Co's hard work, rather than have to get to Lave itself.

I thought 8 academies per galaxy would make it an appropriate effort for the player to get to one and the easiest implementation was to create academies at planet ids [7 39 71 103 135 167 199 231], ie planet_id & 31 == 7. This gave a set more or less equally sparsed through each galaxy, and to my delight in Galaxy 4 they were all communist - which tied in with (someone elses) wiki entry at

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Powers ... alaxy_Four

enjoy.
White dots were so much easier to hit
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Sorry for the (slight) delay, just back today from a couple of weeks away on holiday.

Will look over the new version (and Eric's updated info on the messaging glitch) and see what's what. Personally I can't see any issue with adding additional academies (one per Galaxy I would say rather than 8 per galaxy for my personal taste) - will have a look over the new version when I get some time and see if things fit together well.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

As it seems a question of taste, I've set a poll here about how widespread they should be.

Will tweak the next version of the OXP accordingly.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Thargoid wrote:
(and Eric's updated info on the messaging glitch)
I think kaks has corrected it for 1.73 were duplicate messages with more than 6 second spacing are displayed correctly. So no need to fix it in academy when players use it with (near) future 1.73.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Dr Beeb wrote:
an echo of the German Democratic Republic? :D

I'm not trying to rewrite or destroy other canon, I just wanted it to be more fun for the player: they could take their latest ship to a nearby academy to try out Thargoid & Co's hard work, rather than have to get to Lave itself.

I thought 8 academies per galaxy would make it an appropriate effort for the player to get to one and the easiest implementation was to create academies at planet ids [7 39 71 103 135 167 199 231], ie planet_id & 31 == 7. This gave a set more or less equally sparsed through each galaxy, and to my delight in Galaxy 4 they were all communist - which tied in with (someone elses) wiki entry at

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Powers ... alaxy_Four

enjoy.
Just looked at your maps (beginning to think about implementing this via OXPConfig, as mentioned above) and I must admit I don't like your distribution of academies.

I can understand the way of doing it with the mathematical trick, but in most of the galaxies they are not very well spread out, with on several occasions academies in either adjacent systems or ones that are 2 jumps apart. I would certainly not call them equally spaced at all.

I'll still implement the larger number option, but will look at a different spread I think to make it more realistic.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Me personally, I'd like to see four or five distributed as such: one in the approximate centre of a suitable world in the middle of each Chart quadrant and one near the Galactic Centre (otherwise, what is the significance of being the Galactic Centre other than simple happenstance?)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Dr Beeb
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Dr Beeb »

Thargoid wrote:

Just looked at your maps (beginning to think about implementing this via OXPConfig, as mentioned above) and I must admit I don't like your distribution of academies.

I can understand the way of doing it with the mathematical trick, but in most of the galaxies they are not very well spread out, with on several occasions academies in either adjacent systems or ones that are 2 jumps apart. I would certainly not call them equally spaced at all.

I'll still implement the larger number option, but will look at a different spread I think to make it more realistic.
Yep, I included the maps to show what the clustering looked like. This is very much a product of staying within Elite's bounds, but upon reflection I thought it looked realistic (why would they be evenly spaced in the real world anyway?). I thought it was closer to the Elite spirit to accept the limitations of the code/mathematical tricks and create depth with the back-stories, for example Cequaa being responsible for the civil war on Raarcege http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Academies/Galaxy_3.

I also wondered about creating more than 8 academies per galaxy but then the political types started to diverge. There could be an academy at each planet, or even several, but that unbalances the reward/effort equation for the player too much in my opinion.
White dots were so much easier to hit
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

How I'm coding it is basically there's an array of planet locations (numbers) for each galaxy listing those with academies.

Currently each will have 5 max, but should you want more, or want them in different places, all you will need to do is change the arrays and put in the numbers you want.

The code for that part is just about done (but untested), but I want also to make it 1.73 compatible too, which will mean I need to work on the PC whose power supply unfortunately died on Thursday, that had my trunk install on it. So the project will have to wait a bit.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I should have a spare PSU - what wattage do you need? This is presuming your RL(tm) alter-ego is based in the UK of course!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
I should have a spare PSU - what wattage do you need? This is presuming your RL(tm) alter-ego is based in the UK of course!
Thanks, will have a look when I get chance (just back from a weekend away) and drop you a PM.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Thargoid wrote:
How I'm coding it is basically there's an array of planet locations (numbers) for each galaxy listing those with academies.

Currently each will have 5 max, but should you want more, or want them in different places, all you will need to do is change the arrays and put in the numbers you want.
Would it be possible to manage the academy numbers more elegantly via OXPConfig?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Would it be possible to manage the academy numbers more elegantly via OXPConfig?
That's what I'm doing.

It's either going to be one academy (at Lave), one per galaxy (at different pre-defined planets, including Lave) or 5 per galaxy (again at pre-defined planets). You choose which scenario you want by setting the extraA/extraB variables via OXPConfig (default being 1 per galaxy).

But if people want more than 5 per galaxy, then all they need to do is add the new numbers into the array for each galaxy, it's quite flexible. But giving too many options via OXPConfig beyond those listed above will get very messy, and as I said before personally I don't want too many of the things around anyway, 5 should be more than sufficient for anyone and my own personal preference is 1 (hence it being default).
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

OK, job done.

Version 1.1 of Lave Academy is now available from the same URL (here) as before.

It has been made compatible with v1.73, and also via OXPConfig (once that's updated) you can set Lave-ony, 1 academy per galaxy (default) and 5 academies per galaxy. It's set up to make changes to how many and which planets easy, via a set of arrays in the main script.

Anyway, share and enjoy...