Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Indirect route shorter than direct

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

PhilHibbs
Above Average
Above Average

Indirect route shorter than direct

Post by PhilHibbs »

I was at Xeeranre, and I wanted to get to Zadies, but it was out of range (7.2 LY), so I hyperspaced to Anarlaqu. I then found that I had enough fuel to immediately hyperspace to Zadies.
JameSpal
Competent
Competent

Post by JameSpal »

Do you have fuel collector OXP loaded and a fuel scoop? Maybe you got the extra you needed during the hyperspace jump???
PhilHibbs
Above Average
Above Average

Post by PhilHibbs »

I don't have any OXPs, but I do have fuel scoops.
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Indirect route shorter than direct

Post by CptnEcho »

PhilHibbs wrote:
I was at Xeeranre, and I wanted to get to Zadies, but it was out of range (7.2 LY), so I hyperspaced to Anarlaqu. I then found that I had enough fuel to immediately hyperspace to Zadies.
Sometimes the math works out that way. The maps may not be perfectly accurate.
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
KZ9999
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Lost in Witchspace being hunted by a Thargoid Swam.

Subspace Currents

Post by KZ9999 »

It's about the efficiency of the engines creating the wormholes for hyperspace travel. It takes less fuel to generate the two shorter jumps than one long jump. It feels like there is a cubing rule in effect when the computer calculates the fuel consumption for a jump. (Perhaps one of the high commanders could confirm that fact.) The shorter jumps are cause less time shift in the travel too.

This is why the Advanced Navigation Array always takes the shorter jump paths over the long ones. As a general rule of thumb if a system is within 7.5 light years and intermediate one within 3.5 you can often reach it with one tank of fuel.

Once you have a Witchspace Fuel Injector, you always try have 2-3 light years of spare fuel from every trip just in case of a laz-fest.
KZ999's Oolite documents, including the new draft Oolite Game Manual, can be found at www.box.net
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

The time taken for a jump is certainly non-linear. I think its a squared relationship, but I havent actually check the code recently.

Im pretty sure the fuel is meant to be linear, so 2 short jumps should be exactly the same (as long as they are in line) as one long one. There could be rounding errors though -- as we know which systems were involved, someone could repeat the experience and check debug info to see exactly how much fuel is used for each step, and see what happened.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Oolite carefully and lovingly recreates the original bad maths and rounding errors of Elite. This is necessary to ensure that exactly the same jump routes exist. :-)
tomsk
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by tomsk »

Xeenranre to Zadies - 7.2LY

Xeenranre to Anarlaqu - 2.4 LY
Anarlaqu to Zadies - 4.4 LY
Solas
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Solas »

Oolite really is an alternative Universe ( Ooniverse :)
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Or ... the map is a 2D representation of 3D space. Maybe. If I haven't got horribly confused ...
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

Well, while it is, direct route is always shorter in both 2D and 3D.

The real reason is that Oolite rounds the distance to multiples of 0.4 LY. So while the distance between stars in indirect route is rounded down, in direct route it is rounded up, resulting in this effect. In Ooniverse, there is pplace for technobabble....
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Sarin wrote:
Strange thing is, that I've once read an article claiming that for sailors this is not the case. However, they do have to move on a sphere...thus it's 3d with a restriction.

Screet
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Screet wrote:
Sarin wrote:
Strange thing is, that I've once read an article claiming that for sailors this is not the case. However, they do have to move on a sphere...thus it's 3d with a restriction.
Screet
Being a sailor, I can tell you that you absolutely right. It is called " Great Circle Navigation" and brings in such wonderful mathematics as Spherical trigonometry and so on. It is quire simple really, shortest distance between two points on a sphere, is not a straight line, but a curve.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

That’s because there are no straight lines on a sphere. :-)
Solas
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Solas »

or in this case " Rounded Navigation "