Internal error: Turrets on wrong ship

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Internal error: Turrets on wrong ship

Post by Screet »

Hi,

when I did switch from a Caduceus back to a BCC for some testing with the fuel stations, I got the following log entry for all turrets:

[ship.subentity.sanityCheck.failed]: ***** VALIDATION ERROR: <ShipEntity 0x15bad640>{"Caduceus Turret"} thinks it's a subentity of <PlayerEntity 0xaa628c8>{"Boa Class Cruiser"}, but the supposed parent does not agree. This is an internal error, please report it.

It seems that the subentities of the craft I had did try to attach to the new ship I bought.

Version: 1.72.2 PC (Vista 32)

Screet
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Yeah, these nasty sub-entities! Just don't want to behave, these stupid little things!

Happens here, too, randomly. But always unpredictable and not reproducable. :?
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Just as I planned your turrets have formed an emotional attachment to you. They will now and forever roll around behind you like some sort of strange plasma firing pack of lap dogs!

Hey, I double checked my code and I think this could happen to any ship with turrets not just this one so, until someone tells me other wise I'm not taking any blame. :)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I wonder if this is a similar hang-on to the one with external views. From a quick look the BCC doesn't have any sub-entities defined, so perhaps that information isn't getting cleared when you swap ship, same way that I recall external views wasn't (or isn't) so if the new ship didn't have them and the old one did the old ones persisted for a while?
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

I observed the same problem with the OSE WiP.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Thargoid wrote:
I wonder if this is a similar hang-on to the one with external views. From a quick look the BCC doesn't have any sub-entities defined, so perhaps that information isn't getting cleared when you swap ship, same way that I recall external views wasn't (or isn't) so if the new ship didn't have them and the old one did the old ones persisted for a while?
It was one of the neo-BCCs from Simon. IIRC that one had to be cut into two parts as the poly count did slightly exceed the 800 limit.

As ClymAngus said: this appears to be something from the internal code, not the models, but maybe it helps to identify situations in which this happens, probably only if the new ship has at least one subentity?

Screet
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Screet wrote:
As ClymAngus said: this appears to be something from the internal code, not the models, but maybe it helps to identify situations in which this happens, probably only if the new ship has at least one subentity?

Screet
(Man, my work is creating a nest of problems today, I should have stuck with a flying brick, less problems) Utilising bleeding edge tec, it's a double edged sword. You get to make something cool but its a bug nest.