To script or not to script

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

MKG
Dangerous
Dangerous

To script or not to script

Post by MKG »

I'm confused. I've read what appear to be confirmations and I've read what appear to be denials. Is JS implemented for OAPs yet or not? And if so, are we in the situation where either JS or legacy scripting can be used? And even more if so, will support for legacy scripting ever be removed?

Mike

Freudian slip - for OAPs, of course, I meant OXPs. Mind you, in my case it's the same thing.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

JavaScript has been implemented for OXPs for some time in the test releases. However, the scripting interface has been changing between each release (which is a large part of why they’re test releases).

It’s now close to being final, i.e. very few current features will stop working (except those that currently generate deprecation warnings).

Legacy scripts will continue to work. I have no intention of ever removing them. In future, they may be translated to JavaScript on the fly, but this isn’t a priority.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

yes while writing this, Ahruman answered...

I´ll post it anyway

Java Scripting has been implemented since Oolite test-release 1.68

and is in 1.70.x, 1.71.x, 1.72.x.

I must stress: These are not stable builds.. but also not unstable builds.. there are just certain bugs and inconveniences that are not fully solved yet... some documented script events do not trigger at the correct moment and so on...

The last stable build 1.65, does not support java scripting... only legacy scripting...

The next stable build is referred to as

The Mythical Next Stable Release and usually by its abbreviation MNSR

Cheers Frame...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
MKG
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by MKG »

Thanks guys - now I know I can get on with learning JavaScript without wasting my time.

Mike