Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

autopackaged 1.72 "no text" issue

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

mrflawed
Poor
Poor

autopackaged 1.72 "no text" issue

Post by mrflawed »

I was previously running the standard 1.65 version and updated to the beta release. the previous game was working quite well and then when i start the new version and text will start out fine. then it will disappear. as in all text in my hud, pause menu, the f2 menu, when the ship is docked.
i even noticed that large objects, such as a space station, will disappear (replaced by a black void).
i am new to oolite and i am also new to linux. so i would need instructions to give you some sort of debug report.

thanks !
mrflawed
Poor
Poor

Post by mrflawed »

also i am going to state that i have a crappy dell 700m with a integrated video card. i dont know if there was a difference between the 1.65 and the 1.72 versions as far as graphics go. but that might be the ball the pushed everything over the edge.

and i can see normal ships just fine
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: autopackaged 1.72 "no text" issue

Post by Screet »

Hello, and welcome to the board!
mrflawed wrote:
i even noticed that large objects, such as a space station, will disappear (replaced by a black void).
I'm not sure if that accounts for all your problems...but if that black void is shootable, then you might want to try the "shaders off" setting. That can be found in the game options menu (f2).

Hope it helps...I'm not to sure because of the text problems you also mentioned.

Screet
mrflawed
Poor
Poor

Post by mrflawed »

i ran the game again. the text works for a little bit and then it goes away again. also, if i click my mouse anywhere the text will disappear.

second, when i access the menu i noticed that i cannot change anything involving the shaders. (prolly because my computer is a pos)
Deadly
Deadly

Post by 0235 »

i have a similar bug, but on PC, the text is just a square that is the same colour of the text, but other than that, no problems.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

0235 wrote:
i have a similar bug, but on PC, the text is just a square that is the same colour of the text, but other than that, no problems.
A bug like this has been reported a couple of times before. In all cases it turned out to be a graphics driver issue. It would definitely be worthwhile to update the drivers of your graphics card.
mrflawed
Poor
Poor

Post by mrflawed »

so if my computer has lowly integrated graphics and the drivers are up to date. i would assume i cannot run the new version?
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

if your integrated graphics are ATi you may have some problems anyway - some people have had some success with 3rd party drivers - the name "omega" springs to mind...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
mrflawed
Poor
Poor

Post by mrflawed »

to no avail. my dell 700m with intel extreme graphics 2 (64mb shared) seems to have issues with running this game. it is weird because there is little to no lag occurring in the game. 1.65 works just fine with no issues. i wonder why version 1.72.2 seems to be causing some problems. (even with no oxp installed)

just as a note, shaders option is not usable (it is greyed out)
the reduced graphics is turned ON.
but it seems that either once i click my mouse anywhere or i allow the game to continue for 30 seconds or so, the test disappears in the HUD mode, in pause, in f2 options, and virtually all text visible when docked at a station is gone (save if you are at an item that can be highlighted, in which case a large box with appear).

i give up. but i figured id leave my settings to see if anyone has the same issue and has figured out how to fix this
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Are you installing 1.72 clean or on top of 1.65? It is recommended to uninstall the previous version before installing the new one.

And the 1.72 version's code has very little to do with 1.65's. 1.72 is much more demanding as far as OpenGL conformance is concerned, which means that old graphics cards or drivers may have problems with it. A driver update to latest version usually improves things a lot.