WARNING for Vista users! READ!!!

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

WARNING for Vista users! READ!!!

Post by Screet »

Hi,

since I had a hell lot of trouble with it and the problem isn't easy to notice, I'm writing this here again (the thing just has been discussed in a different thread):

If you edit any files, like an oxp's plist in the AddOn folder of Oolite, Vista behaves the following way:

The original file stays untouched! Vista creates an AddOn folder in your users VirtualStore and stores the changed file there. Oolite will use that file and your editor will pretend that the original file has been changed, which is NOT the case.

As soon as you uninstall or update the oxp or use the game with another user, you're in deep trouble!

Workaround: Move the changed file from virtual store to the real location and then delete the VirtualStore's AddOn folder. As a result, you do not only have the proper file at the proper location for all users, you can also edit it without any more "VirtualStore" problems. Still it's a good idea to verify after each editing that no VirtualStore usage is happening again!

That's a common Vista problem. Someone thought it would be a good idea, but even Vista-internal programs get screwed up with this.

Screet
Solas
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Solas »

install to C:\Oolite or something similar.

C:\Program Files and other locations ( incl subdirs ) are protected through file virtualization.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/maga ... 6.uac.aspx
in particular just after .. second screenshot ..
Figure 2 Task Manager shows virtualization status
" The file system locations that are virtualized for legacy processes are %ProgramFiles%, %ProgramData%, and %SystemRoot%, excluding some specific subdirectories. "

edit: to disable file virtualization it appears necessary to turn off UAC.
Control Panel - User Accounts - Turn User Account Control Off (deselect)