Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Cycling through available missiles

Discussion and announcements regarding the Mac port… er, original version of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Greyman
Dangerous
Dangerous

Cycling through available missiles

Post by Greyman »

Hello there everyone. Unfortunately my first post on your bulletin board is about a problem I cannot solve on my own. I have been playing Oolite for quite some time now - first on my Linux machine now on my MacBook Pro - and it's still my favourite game. So first I'd like to thank the the creators and contributors of this wonderful game!

The problem I'm having at the moment is that I cannot cycle through my missiles using the key 'y'. I'm sure this did work in earlier versions but somehow it doesn't work at the moment. Maybe the problem is somewhere between my ears or maybe there is a conflict wih an OXP I have installed. I simply have no clue! I'm using the current 1.72.1 test release and several OXPs. I did try to run OOlite with all the OXPs removed but the problem is still there. By the way, my ship is equipped with a Scanner Enhancement and the Multi-Targetting System.

Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

Greetings,
Greyman
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Cycling through available missiles

Post by Screet »

Greyman wrote:
The problem I'm having at the moment is that I cannot cycle through my missiles using the key 'y'. I'm sure this did work in earlier versions but somehow it doesn't work at the moment. Maybe the problem is somewhere between my ears or maybe there is a conflict wih an OXP I have installed. I simply have no clue! I'm using the current 1.72.1 test release and several OXPs. I did try to run OOlite with all the OXPs removed but the problem is still there. By the way, my ship is equipped with a Scanner Enhancement and the Multi-Targetting System.
Welcome to the board!

I'm not running the game on a Mac, however your description matches my experience with a damaged targeting system! I'm not sure if that should be called a bug or an (un)intended feature, though. Maybe you had your targeting system being damaged during flight? Damaged systems are displayed in a different color with (N/A) behind their name and can be repaired at planets with proper tech-level, which depends upon the specific equipment part that is damaged.

BTW: the PC uses scan codes, thus resulting on non-us keyboards that the "z" and "y" key exchange functions. I doubt that this is your problem, but maybe you should give it a try.

Screet
Greyman
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Greyman »

Screet wrote:
Welcome to the board!

I'm not running the game on a Mac, however your description matches my experience with a damaged targeting system! I'm not sure if that should be called a bug or an (un)intended feature, though. Maybe you had your targeting system being damaged during flight? Damaged systems are displayed in a different color with (N/A) behind their name and can be repaired at planets with proper tech-level, which depends upon the specific equipment part that is damaged.

BTW: the PC uses scan codes, thus resulting on non-us keyboards that the "z" and "y" key exchange functions. I doubt that this is your problem, but maybe you should give it a try.

Screet
Thanks for the quick answer, but my equipment is in order (my Cobra Mk III just had an overhaul for 1500Cr). I even just tried using the standard key configuration file. Still doesn't work! :(
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Greyman wrote:
Thanks for the quick answer, but my equipment is in order (my Cobra Mk III just had an overhaul for 1500Cr). I even just tried using the standard key configuration file. Still doesn't work! :(
The overhaul does not repair damaged equipment, but if nothing is damaged, then this is not the cause.

Maybe it also requires the "Target System Memory Expansion" to work, but I'm not sure about that. If you've got enough money, maybe save, give it a try and if it doesn't work, reload the saved game.

If that's not working, I fear that you have to wait for a Mac user to help with that problem.

Screet
Greyman
Dangerous
Dangerous

Still not working ...

Post by Greyman »

Well, I think I tried it all and I still can't figure out why it won't work. Maybe I accidentally discovered a bug somehow? But I'm not convinced that there is something wrong with Oolite. I rather think I'm making some mistake. Any suggestions? Anyone?

Greetings, Greyman
Greyman
Dangerous
Dangerous

Heureka ... it's done!

Post by Greyman »

I actually did find the cause of my problem! I do have a custom keyconfig file. I simply entered the keycode of 122 instead of the string "z"!

So I guess there might be problem of confusion about different keyboard layouts (I have German keyboard layout) in Oolite? It seems to me, that using keycodes is the safest way to customize the in-game keys.

Anyway, problem solved!

Good night,

Greyman