Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Corrupt Texture problem

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

DGill
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Corrupt Texture problem

Post by DGill »

Hi folks - nice to see Elite again after so many years

I loaded Oolite 1.72.1 on Vista 32bit PC with Nvidia 9800GTX+ video card.

When starting the program, on the opening screen the rotating Cobra textures are usually (not always) partially corrupted i.e. multi coloured pattern effect. Same on Coriolis textures during game play.
Happens in windowed and full screen mode.

I've deleted the program and re-installed but same problem

Any thoughts on how to correct the problem?

thanks
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Are you running any OXP's?
Also, is it possible for you to post a screenshot of this when it happens?
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
DGill
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by DGill »

Clean install, no OXP's installed

Not sure how to take a screen shot, I just get a black screen when I use PrtSc. I'll Google print screen and see what I can find
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Just press '*' and the screenshot should be saved in the oolite-saves folder under a filename like oolite-###.bmp.
DGill
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by DGill »

OK, got a screen shot but how do I attach it to this post?
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Hi DGill - welcome to the forums

To get a piccie on here it must already hosted somewhere else on the web and then you just put the hyperlink to it inside the [ img] [ /img] tabs and your image will appear. If you don't have any webspace of your own to host the picture then I would suggest getting an account with Photobucket - it's quick, easy and free...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
DGill
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by DGill »

may be an image below!

[img][img]http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj33 ... -37-31.jpg[/img][/img]
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

That's quite the ship you have there... Maybe when you look at ~oolite/resources/textures/cobra3_redux.png you can find out if it is corrupted - looking at an old version 1.65 on a mac - might be different for you
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
DGill
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by DGill »

png file looks fine:

[img][img]http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj33 ... _redux.jpg[/img][/img]
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

DGill wrote:
may be an image below!

[img][img]http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj33 ... -37-31.jpg[/img][/img]
Well that thing is similar with the texture corruption that we had in an SVN build somewhere between 1.70 and 1.71. If i remember correcty it was totally random and the pngs had nothing to do with it. Strange very strange !! (since i have been blaying with 1.72 and 1.72.1 form some time now and i haven't seen that yet
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

I seem to recall that a few people managed to solve problems like this one by downloading and installing the newest drivers for their graphics card.
Last edited by Lestradae on Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Yeah that's definitely a driver problem..

I had OpenGL running on a FX 5200 card on vista 32 bit, so you should try and download the driver from this site... click below

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x ... _whql.html

Edit:

I just remembered that if your graphic card is getting to hot, that can also produce errors like this... but then it should be in every type of game, DirectX based or OpenGL based...

If the driver does not solve it... I recommend you to check the temperature of the card, and if its fan is working or spinning correctly...

There should be monitoring tools somewhere at Nvidia to monitor this....

I'm using an ATI card so I'm not sure where exactly to point you in order to obtain these... but try the driver first... preferably try another OpenGL based application and see if you get the same texture corruptions there..

Counter check of course with Direct X based application, or try to run with or without windows Aero enabled if you do not already do this...

Windows Aero causes a few unwanted side effects for my card, so it is turned off... and generally I like the performance of the classic view of Windows better.

Cheers Frame...
Last edited by Frame on Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ...

Post by Screet »

Lestradae wrote:
I seem to recall that a few people managed to solve problems like this one by downloading and installing the newest drivers for their graohics card.
I've got the problem since upgrading from the release to the test version. The problem comes in now and then, sometimes ships do not use textures at all. Vista 32 with an ATI 4870X2 2GB here.

It's not a problem of the system not having enough memory, as these things start from the beginning on, the corruption stays the same during gameplay for all ships of that type.

I guess related is the problem that nebulae sometimes are drawn nicely and sometimes as square boxes. The previous test version had this problem more often than the new one, but it's not gone entirely.

I doubt that it's graphics cards stuff, as there are two very different cards mentioned here...it rather looks like uninitialized texture memory, maybe the bitmap initialization is not working properly in all cases during first load of them, and then the texture stays cached or such?

The log does not give any hints at where it comes from. I just got somehow used to seeing this...

Screet
DGill
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by DGill »

I'm currently using the 180.48 drivers and also tried 177.79

Heat might be a problem, I'll try with the case open - though I can run MS Flight Sim X without problem and that does stress the CPU and GPU

Turning off Aero sounds interesring, I'll give it a try
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

DGill wrote:
I'm currently using the 180.48 drivers and also tried 177.79

Heat might be a problem, I'll try with the case open - though I can run MS Flight Sim X without problem and that does stress the CPU and GPU

Turning off Aero sounds interesring, I'll give it a try
Aero is switched off automatically here when I run certain programs (for example together with oolite)...and heat's no problem. My system ain't even busy, I can do pretty much, there's only the memory demand of the game...and the bug drops in right when launching the game.

Maybe Vista is behaving slightly differently than XP concerning texture stuff, IF the problem is not visible under XP. I haven't tried yet with my development machine...

Furthermore, having the case open does not always help to reduce heat. Some Macs even slow down instantly because the airflow gets corrupted and thus the machine gets hotter when their case is open...

From the code side, I'd expect it to be something with the initial loading of the texture being buggy under Vista. Maybe some variable that is not properly initialized, most often read correctly, leading to correct initialization, but sometimes it's not.

Screet