RFC: Fancy classics

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

I think the CBE is probably one of the first and most important buys that the young Jameson should get. When you only have limited credits, no Fuel Scoop (so no space-bound freebies and fuel) and limited combat experience that extra 15TC of cargo space makes your first milk runs far more lucrative. Yes, a Python is a far better Trader, but for that extra capacity, you are losing all the added bonuses that come with the Cobbie 3, such as NEUs, Mili-Shields, manoeuvrability in combat and so forth.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
KZ9999
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Lost in Witchspace being hunted by a Thargoid Swam.

Continuing the cargo bay expansion thread....

Post by KZ9999 »

Well, judging by the responses of my most learned colleagues so far, the cargo bay expansion should stay.

If we do keep it, perhaps we modify the mechanic of cargo bay expansion for a more realistic model? After all, rebuilding a hull of a ship shouldn't give you a 75% space increase. It's kind like owning a 4 door hatchback car, then expanding the boot to turn it into station wagon. You can do it, but it just doesn't look or perform quite right.

Taking the thought one step further, retaining that 75% gain but making it that any ship with cargo space over a minimum amount can get an expansion. Instead of having single volume and size increase, use a sliding scale of space gain and cost (the bigger the ship, the smaller the gain and the higher the cost per ton.)

I have work out an equation for it if that allows for both OXP's and ships yet to be deigned. I'll post it if anyone is interested.
KZ999's Oolite documents, including the new draft Oolite Game Manual, can be found at www.box.net
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Clever!
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Just for your information: The size of the CBE is customizable since Oolite 1.62(!). Key extra_cargo in shipdata.plist. Before that it was uniformly 15t. Never was it 75%.

It's all in the ReadMe.
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

I've played a game like that, where for every upgrade, there are a few levels... Expanded (a little) Retrofitted (25%) and Trans-space (2x)

I knew of one ridiculously lucrative trade run (1000 credits/ton), so I would buy a 500t standard ship then buy the upgrade - biggest ship in the game!
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Deadly
Deadly

Post by 0235 »

kond of off topic of waht is being said at the moment,

i have looked at the models, and they are great i love the Adder (always liked them) and they look great, and the picture of "you" next to the ship has made me realise how big they actualy are! wow.
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

So, I installed the pack, and found a few bugs...gonna get stderr and stdout next time.

1. Boa cruiser-no model. Possibly the bug previously mentioned?
2. Moray Star Boat-missing texture...
3. Cobra III-exhaust plumes are off, they are placed a few meters behind model itself.
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Yeah, I also noticed that the Boa Cruiser's model was missing...
Deadly
Deadly

Post by 0235 »

woah, woah :shock:
where can you get these tests, but do they run on 1.65?
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

Moray bug is easily fixable, neomoray.dat is trying to use neomoray_auv2.png texture instead of neomoray_auv.png, simple opening and replacing these does the trick.

However, in combat I noticed that at least one alternate Cobra 3 is missing texture, and I haven't been able to find the problem yet.

Edit, the link for download is at page 19 of this thread I think.
Deadly
Deadly

Post by 0235 »

many thanks, but it hik ill download it at school, seeming as i have only got a 5GB download limit (and my sisters a youtube adict)
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

Also, forgot another bug, in port/starboard views at cobra 3 you could see pieces of ship model.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Sarin wrote:
Also, forgot another bug, in port/starboard views at cobra 3 you could see pieces of ship model.
This isn't necessarily a bug, rather a feature. If you have a ship with a big fuselage, it is likely that you will see some parts of it in your views. There are even some ships in OXPs that make explicitely use of this feature: It is a nice tradeoff for a über-ship candidate to have the view partly obscured by parts of the ship. One example that springs to mind is Aegidian's own Chopped Cobra (see his avatar), an inspirational model for the Pimp my Cobra competition, available in mycobra35.oxp.
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

well, this is definitely not a feature.
Captain Hesperus

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Commander McLane wrote:
Sarin wrote:
This isn't necessarily a bug, rather a feature. If you have a ship with a big fuselage, it is likely that you will see some parts of it in your views. There are even some ships in OXPs that make explicitely use of this feature: It is a nice tradeoff for a über-ship candidate to have the view partly obscured by parts of the ship. One example that springs to mind is Aegidian's own Chopped Cobra (see his avatar), an inspirational model for the Pimp my Cobra competition, available in mycobra35.oxp.
Indeed, with the TIE-Fighter and Interceptor (both Uberships of the N-th degree) there is minimal and no side views respectively, due to the soalr wings.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!