Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

help trumble

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

bdug
Above Average
Above Average

help trumble

Post by bdug »

I have always declined the trumble mission. But unfortunately I got one from a scooped cargo container.... and I cannot roast it ! I stay very long near the sun with red temperature and it does not die !! If I approach one meter more to the sun then I explode.
BTBC
Above Average
Above Average

Post by BTBC »

Tumbles can tolerate heat if they are not hungry so make sure you have nothing edible in your cargo bay
bdug
Above Average
Above Average

Post by bdug »

ok thx. I will try this...
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: help trumble

Post by Screet »

bdug wrote:
I have always declined the trumble mission. But unfortunately I got one from a scooped cargo container.... and I cannot roast it ! I stay very long near the sun with red temperature and it does not die !! If I approach one meter more to the sun then I explode.
I guess that you've got the heat shielding? That makes detrumbling a little bit more difficult...but still it's possible. At the sun, the temperature only rises slowly, even in flashing-red altitude, but rises constantly. Thus it can take quite some time waiting until the temperature is "hot enough" and if you do not move fast enough away, the continuous heat-buildup might melt your craft. I recently was required 5 runs to the sun until I got my ship trumble-free.

Shortly afterwards, I had another one materialized by the flying dutchman within my ship. It was pretty nice as it didn't do anything for hours, ignoring food...then it changed into a very rapidly reproducing horde and a space station required me to fly through the atmosphere...which gave me a better idea for detrumbling: Ride on injectors through the atmosphere but be sure not to overdo it. Your craft won't melt as easy as in the sun, in the lower atmosphere however, you do not even need injectors, but have to watch your altitutde instead of trumbles feets (never imagined they would have some!).

I even managed to get rid of all but my favourite one which did stay for several hours without reproducing, again...until it finally turned into an annoying problem again. Guess I'll have to do a more complete detrumbling run before the next flight with trumble-edible stuff (includes radioactives, narcotics, furs and slaves).

It's really pretty common to scoop them up, although the trumble-cargo pods always appear empty to me?!? At least, having a non-reproductive trumble saves you from other trumbles. I had several of those avoided with one aboard.

Since it was christmas and I had a complete horde aboard (the number on the screen would not go down for 4 detrumbling runs, even though many died!) and I had pretty spectacular colored ones, I thought I should make up a new business...trumbles for christmas tree decoration! Saves the fragile spheres (sorry, don't know what their name in english is) and leaves cute animals for the children...oh, and of course include the warning: "NEVER FEED IT!" ...and now let us sing: "Oh trumble-tree..." ;)

The sad point is, that the trumbles in the ooniverse do not leave furs when roasted, not even food...they just fall off the ship. Mass suicide by airlocking? Apparently, they also do not attract pirates, although the pilot of a trumbled ship practically becomes unable to fly...maybe they should have a command to push them to the corners of the screen when doing serious stuff...

Screet
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: help trumble

Post by Eric Walch »

Screet wrote:
It's really pretty common to scoop them up, although the trumble-cargo pods always appear empty to me?!? At least, having a non-reproductive trumble saves you from other trumbles. I had several of those avoided with one aboard.
Currently there are 3 oxp's with trumble pods in it. The original one is the one you refer to. It has a distinct picture of a trumble on the cargopod. This picture gives the player a warning and he is able to avoid it. In practice it is difficult to avoid it and in 50% of the cases I notice it to late and can't avoid to scoop it up. But as a luck, only 25% of those pods has damaged casing, allowing the pods to escape into your cargobay. 75% of the scoop-ups, nothing happens.

I like this behaviour because it gives an extra thrill. You throw out a few $%$#@ when you notice you did scoop it and than are in severe tension if the trumbles manage to escape.

The trumble-pod in Cargo_Wreck I like a bit less. It is just one of the general pods that contains the trumble. When you read the readMe you will see that adding a special picture to this pod is on A_H's to-do list. But I doubt if it ever happens. Personally I didn't want to get rid of this nice oxp so I lessened the chance for this pod by a factor 4 on my computer. (A_H when you read this: please attach the picture on this pod and give it also a chance factor of happening)

And than also we have pods.oxp. That also had a trumble pod inside. But also many other bad pods with no chance to recognise them in advance. This one I just do not use because of the many negative pods.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Pods has 10-12 new pod actions, some good, some bad (about 50:50 mix) to varying degrees as it's designed to be balanced. I'm not a huge fan of OXPs that just give goodies or make things too easy, as for me it unbalances the game.

Also for the trumble pods, unless the pod is supposed to be for shipping Trumbles explicitly, then why would it have a trumble on the outside of it? Mine aren't supposed to be that (they're food pods that have been "invaded"), hence why they (and all the others) are unmarked. It's by design that way. The only pods in the OXP that are different are the large capacity pods, which look like freight containers. The rest are supposed to be variants, and to make scooping cargo a little more random and a little less safe than before.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Thargoid wrote:
Pods has 10-12 new pod actions, some good, some bad (about 50:50 mix) to varying degrees as it's designed to be balanced. I'm not a huge fan of OXPs that just give goodies or make things too easy, as for me it unbalances the game.

I think that your pods really works in this way, as I have quite some messages to laugh about, even though they just tell me why I just scooped up another worthless pod. However, I still don't understand why a few g or kg of gold, platinum and gems would be stored in a large cargo crate, and 200kg of platinum is really a FAT bounty that pays off for all the troubles before ;)

I have to admit, though, that I changed the scripts for damaging and destroying the scoops, as I got those always with less than 20 pods scooped...and I know that the chances for such an accident are pretty much against this, but it kept happening every time I tried. Changing the code seemingly disabled those two negative actions - I did not encounter them anymore. That was not, what I intended, but I'm happy that I can run this OXP now without the permanent frustration of scoops dying on the first flight.

Thargoid wrote:
Also for the trumble pods, unless the pod is supposed to be for shipping Trumbles explicitly, then why would it have a trumble on the outside of it? Mine aren't supposed to be that (they're food pods that have been "invaded"), hence why they (and all the others) are unmarked. It's by design that way. The only pods in the OXP that are different are the large capacity pods, which look like freight containers. The rest are supposed to be variants, and to make scooping cargo a little more random and a little less safe than before.
I guess there could not exist any safe trumble pod, as trumbles instantly find their way into pods and escape capsules. When I scoop up something edible (preferrably narcotics - they obviously cannot overdose), they instantly eat it up...maybe they found a way to move through matter and have some type of internal bounty scanner ;)

Screet
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Screet wrote:
Since it was christmas and I had a complete horde aboard (the number on the screen would not go down for 4 detrumbling runs, even though many died!) and I had pretty spectacular colored ones, I thought I should make up a new business...trumbles for christmas tree decoration!
When you have problems with trumbles, you can always install the latest version of UPS_courier. Since this version 1.5.0 it contains code that could help the unlucky person.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Eric Walch wrote:
When you have problems with trumbles, you can always install the latest version of UPS_courier. Since this version 1.5.0 it contains code that could help the unlucky person.
The "problem" only is that I get some of them aboard every day. Just got one after scooping up contraband from debries of navy reserve ships (fleet action vs. thargoids)...and have been trumbled again. On the next jump I had the flying dutchman once more - and it materialized a trumble. To be more precise, it tried, but I still had the previous trumble and theres a bug that no additional trumbles get on board, the trumbled cargo pods also only give the message, but fail.

I just installed UPS courier a few minutes before...but on the instant, nothing happened concerning that trumble. However UPS rates me as average even though I never did anything for them?!?

Well, at least this one behaves. Did not eat my cargo until now and only makes the nice sound ;) As soon as it starts to replicate, it'll feel the atmospheric heat of a low and fast flying aircraft :twisted:

Screet
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Screet wrote:
I just installed UPS courier a few minutes before...but on the instant, nothing happened concerning that trumble. However UPS rates me as average even though I never did anything for them?!?
It is a matter of perception. Average and above average are not enough to meet ups standards. To get a real mission you now need a higher rating. This rating only allows for document delivery. (See for explanation of rating the enclosed readme)

But I am sure you'll meet someone to help you with the trumble problem. The chance of meeting him depends also on your trumble count. The more you have on docking, the more likely you are approached by him.