Two problems

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

bdug
Above Average
Above Average

Two problems

Post by bdug »

Hi Commanders

- I am at the competent level (350 kills), docked at leesti and I am not offered the asteroid mission (and I have of course installed asteroidstorm.oxp)

-I have never seen the targoids. Is this normal ? I have freakytargoid.oxp installed.
Yodeebe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yodeebe »

I think 'freaky thargoids' is one that gives the thargoids a makeover, including shaders, and a few new ships.
the one you want is 'thargoid wars'.

someone may correct me though.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Hi, bdug, and first of all welcome to the boards and of course to this great game! :D

As far as Asteroid Storm is concerned, it would be necessary to know (1) which version of Oolite you have installed and (2) which version of AsteroidStorm you have got. Not all versions work with each other.

As far as seeing Thargoids is concerned: Where have you looked for them? While you may occasionally encounter some Thargoids in regular space, their true realm is interstellar space (what some people call witchspace, although in reality witchspace is only the tunnel). So if you want to see some Thargoid action, I suggest you do a misjump.

Of course it is dangerous to encounter Thargoids, so don't say I didn't warn you. :wink:
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Hello dbug,

As Oolite goes through many changes, version numbers are important. Currently I know for sure that the newest versions of both don't work well together. (3.47 of AS and 1.72.1 of Oolite). If you have this combination things with descriptions can go wrong. Although a mission should always be offered.

Probably you have AS 3.0 or newer installed. In that case you should see new asteroid shapes in every system. This would be a conformation that your install is right.

The 3.4+ versions of AS have code in it to make it work well with Oolite 1.70 and all the limitations 1.70 had. Part of that code stopped with 1.72.

Currently I rewrote a small part of it on my computer. I only have to find some time to test if it now works as it should be. So when working already with 1.72 don't take the mission with the current Asteroid Storm. When it does work (and first test shows it does) it will be uploaded on the wiki as version 3.50
bdug
Above Average
Above Average

Post by bdug »

Hi all,

I use the latest version of everything (oolite and AS).
In fact I completed the AS mission but I was not offrered to do it. I saw the big Asteroid in leesti, I destroyed it and I was rewarded, but at any time before, I was offered to complete this mission. Is this because I was assigned another mission at the same time (constrictor mission) ?

Regarding the thargoid, I, at last, saw one vessel ! I will also try to misjump.

Thx
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

bdug wrote:
That is odd. AS only sets the flag to add the doomdsay asteroid after having shown the message. And both missions have code to not overwrite the mission page. But maybe you somehow touched the spacebar already on docking and accepted the AS mission this way without knowing.

The AS 1.46 version in combination with Oolite 1.72+ has the problem that failure of the mission is not handled well: Or more precise the code that prevents the addition of the station after failure is not working anymore. I uploaded yesterday a new version 3.50 were no station will be present in the system when you enter it after failure. This was how it always worked until 1.72

On success of the mission the old version still works well. But you should do the mission a few times. It has a few nice effects on failure.
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Two problems

Post by CptnEcho »

bdug wrote:
Hi Commanders

- I am at the competent level (350 kills), docked at leesti and I am not offered the asteroid mission (and I have of course installed asteroidstorm.oxp)

-I have never seen the targoids. Is this normal ? I have freakytargoid.oxp installed.
The chance of encountering a Thargoid vessel (without any OXP's installed) is relatively low when compared with the chances of encountering a pirate vessel.

I cannot speak to the chances of finding Thargoids (or them finding you) with OXP's installed. The OXP authors are probably your best source for that information.

As you have already discovered, you will encounter Thargoid vessels eventually.

Good luck, Bdug 8)
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

bdug wrote:
Hi all,

In fact I completed the AS mission but I was not offrered to do it.
I can confirm this (with AS ver 3.46 and oolite ver 1.72)
I did not have the time yet to test it with AS 3.50 and oolite 1.72.1
bdug
Above Average
Above Average

Post by bdug »

I am sure I was not assigned the mission before seeing the big asteroid. It was not in my mission list (I could only see the constrictor hunt). I checked it repeatedly with a game saved before launching from Leesti.

I have just downloaded AS v3.5 and now I have another problem. Whenever I start the game I see a message telling me that AS is not activated (although I play the last version of oolite PC)
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

bdug wrote:
I have just downloaded AS v3.5 and now I have another problem. Whenever I start the game I see a message telling me that AS is not activated (although I play the last version of oolite PC)
I'm on Win too, using the latest versions (AS 3.50 and Oolite v1.72.1) and everything is fine. So I have some questions: Could you post the missionVariables from your savedgame? Have you pressed SHIFT after updating AS while starting Oolite? How many times have you done the mission?
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

bdug wrote:
Probably you still use 1.72.0 There is an explicit check for this version in it. 1.72 contains a new command with a bug in it that could (will?) crash Oolite when used. That command was one of the fixes for 1.72.1
After you updated, you somehow kept using the old version.