Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Sniper Laser

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Should a "sniper laser" be created?

Yes
25%
No
65%
That's not possible
10%

Total votes: 20

wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Sniper Laser

Post by wackyman465 »

Should a "sniper laser" with incredibly high (2-3 hit kill) damage but with super-long cooldown time be created? I.E. you could shoot it once, but it immediately overheats...
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Sniper Laser

Post by Eric Walch »

wackyman465 wrote:
Should a "sniper laser" with incredibly high (2-3 hit kill) damage but with super-long cooldown time be created? I.E. you could shoot it once, but it immediately overheats...
It already exists. It is called a mining laser. A single shot is several times more powerful than a military laser. And it has a very long cooling down time.
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

But can it be used effectively at long range against other ships?
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Sounds like a plasma accelerator to me. :-)

Not a bad idea, but I would like to see it as a part of the assassins guild or some similar mission. Basically you need this for taking out a ship coming from a space station while you are outside the protected area. (Will require it's own targeting system though). Also, as this might unbalance the game somewhat, and making it to expensive is no fun you could give it a limited number of shots.

20 shots = burned out.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Note that you can't actually do anything of that by a script. Laser behaviour is pretty much hard-coded.

Oh, and to answer the question: Of course a Mining Laser can be used as a weapon against other ships. I am not sure about its firing range, though. I would guess, however, that it isn't as long as for a Military Laser.
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

I've actually used aft mounted mining laser with success when my forward military overheat. It isn't bad, but you have to be very good at aiming.
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Well i've done some research. I can't make it as a laser for player ships, but perhaps I could create a slow ship that maneuvers fast and has a very powerful laser - maybe twice that of a mining laser and equal range to a mil laser - you have to kill the ship before it can reload, or its second shot will kill you :) :P :twisted:
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I think the only thing you can change is the weapon_energy. So the laser firing/cooling rate and the range will give you problems. You can get one or the other (by basing it on a mining or a military laser respectively), but not both.

Although I guess you could simulate a low fire rate by clever AI scripting to limit the firing rate that way.

PS No I don't fly a Mongoose, although I'm now tempted to christen one of the alien ships in my Thargoid OXP (if I ever finish the damn thing) by that name ;)
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Doesn't weapon_energy change the cooldown/heatup rate too?

if not, you could make some nasty ships that way, and no player uber-ship could beat them in terms of lasers. :) :twisted:
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

wackyman465 wrote:
Doesn't weapon_energy change the cooldown/heatup rate too?

if not, you could make some nasty ships that way, and no player uber-ship could beat them in terms of lasers. :) :twisted:
No, it doesn't. It only determines the damage that is done to the energy of the receiving.

And note that you can't make only-NPC ships. Not as long as Lestradae is around and automatically includes a player version of everything that flies in RS.

Oh, and--just if anybody is in doubt here--of course there is already a ship named Mongoose, and it is not in any way related to Thargoids.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Commander McLane wrote:
Not as long as Lestradae is around and automatically includes a player version of everything that flies in RS.
:shock:

Nooo, that`s not entirely correct. There are at least three examples of ships & things I promise to never, ever make flyable with RS or it`s successor(s):

1. Dyson Sphere

2. Strut

3. Thargoid Carrier

So there. 8)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Lestradae wrote:
2. Strut

But wasn't the Flying Strut even included in illicit unlock or some other OXP? :wink:
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Lestradae wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
Not as long as Lestradae is around and automatically includes a player version of everything that flies in RS.

Nooo, that`s not entirely correct. There are at least three examples of ships & things I promise to never, ever make flyable with RS or it`s successor(s):

1. Dyson Sphere

2. Strut

3. Thargoid Carrier

So there. 8)
Personally I'm still waiting for Asteroid-Player... :lol:
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Thargoid wrote:
Lestradae wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:

1. Dyson Sphere

2. Strut

3. Thargoid Carrier

So there. 8)
Personally I'm still waiting for Asteroid-Player... :lol:
Hmmm ... *thinks* :idea:

Is this going to become another "quote the quote" thread?
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Back on topic... what kind of range does a mining laser have?

And if I make a sniper python, do you promise not to include it in RS as a player ship? Please? cuz it would just miss the point