Crash with perhaps Anarchies? and rocks (asteroids) on

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Crash with perhaps Anarchies? and rocks (asteroids) on

Post by Lestradae »

Hey,

got the following in my stderr after a nasty crash while entering the main station after a very successful flight :(

Code: Select all

2008-09-05 20:44:07.109 oolite.exe[2876] [script.javaScript.warning.206]: ----- JavaScript warning: LogWithClass() is deprecated, use log() instead.
2008-09-05 20:44:07.109 oolite.exe[2876] [testscript.spawn]: Generated 1 griff_boa for testing purposes.
2008-09-05 20:44:10.945 oolite.exe[2876] [Fuel Collector]: number of Globes is 12
2008-09-05 20:44:37.675 oolite.exe[2876] [ai.takeAction.badSelector]: ***** ERROR in AI anarchiesCheckscriptAsteroidAI.plist in state GLOBAL: Asteroid 503 does not respond to checkScript
2008-09-05 20:45:03.211 oolite.exe[2876] [Fuel Collector]: number of Globes is 8
2008-09-05 20:45:41.752 oolite.exe[2876] [ai.takeAction.badSelector]: ***** ERROR in AI anarchiesCheckscriptAsteroidAI.plist in state GLOBAL: Asteroid 754 does not respond to checkScript
2008-09-05 20:46:08.788 oolite.exe[2876] [Fuel Collector]: number of Globes is 7
2008-09-05 20:47:16.284 oolite.exe[2876] [ai.takeAction.badSelector]: ***** ERROR in AI anarchiesCheckscriptAsteroidAI.plist in state GLOBAL: Asteroid 893 does not respond to checkScript
2008-09-05 20:47:48.074 oolite.exe[2876] [Fuel Collector]: number of Globes is 6
2008-09-05 20:48:33.593 oolite.exe[2876] [ai.takeAction.badSelector]: ***** ERROR in AI anarchiesCheckscriptAsteroidAI.plist in state GLOBAL: Asteroid 182 does not respond to checkScript
2008-09-05 20:49:01.800 oolite.exe[2876] [Fuel Collector]: number of Globes is 5
2008-09-05 20:50:51.460 oolite.exe[2876] [script.deprecated.scriptActionOnTarget]: ***** WARNING in AI anarchiesHenchman1AI.plist in state WAIT_FOR_PLAYER: the AI method scriptActionOnTarget: is deprecated and should not be used. It is slow and has unpredictable side effects. The recommended alternative is to use sendScriptMessage: to call a function in a ship's JavaScript ship script instead. scriptActionOnTarget: should not be used at all from scripts. An alternative is safeScriptActionOnTarget:, which is similar to scriptActionOnTarget: but has less side effects.
2008-09-05 20:50:51.463 oolite.exe[2876] [script.debug.syntax.action.badSelector]: SCRIPT ERROR in <anonymous actions> ***** bad selector - PlayerEntity DOES NOT RESPOND TO scriptAction: "aaShipsAt: anarchies_hacker_outpost1 1 wpm 0 0 -150000"
2008-09-05 20:52:47.833 oolite.exe[2876] [dataCache.willWrite]: About to write data cache.
Virtual memory exhausted

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
Someone out there who can find the problem?

:(

L
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

You ran out of memory.

This is a likely effect of running insane OXPs that try to cram in every known ship, especially under Windows.
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

Ahruman wrote:
You ran out of memory.

This is a likely effect of running insane OXPs that try to cram in every known ship, especially under Windows.
that post made me laugh. I'm sick of my friends making fun of macs (only one does it now, he calls it fruity, and has a dell, so he shouldent be talking). You should get a mac, it is better. Oh, and
THIS IS NEXT
GET MAC NOW
DEATH TO WINDOWS
DEATH TO MICROSOFT
STEVE JOBS IS GREAT

YOU CAN NOT STOP US.
WE HAVE THIS AWESOME COMPUTER.
YOUR WINDOWS DIE NOW.
ARE YOU AFERID?
DEATH TO WINDOWS.
DEATH TO MICROSOFT.
STEVE JOBS IS GREAT.

PANIC: FSONEBLIN
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Ahruman wrote:
You ran out of memory.

I`m very prone to blame Windows for virtually anything (experience shows there is something to it) - but as the insane oxps with the crammed ships usually runs with 60fps I don`t think so.

As I don`t understand the stderr speak, but the stderr says that "<anonymous actions> ***** bad selector - PlayerEntity DOES NOT RESPOND TO scriptAction: "aaShipsAt: anarchies_hacker_outpost1 1 wpm 0 0 -150000"" happened last thing before the overrun I assumed it might have to do with this.

No?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

No. Virtual Memory running out is just one of those things with the Windows Build. The very first Alpha Windows Build of Oolite would run out after about an hours play (even with no OXPs installed)!! Things got much better with 1.65 and 1.71 hardly ever does it. But the more OXPs you have in the greater the chance. Its a very rare bug now, but happens occasionally. I'm playing with about 30 OXPs in and haven't had it happen for about 2 months, but you'll hit it occasionally particulaly if you have browsers, virus scanners and other windows open whilst your playing.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Just wanted to make clear at this point that the memory exhaustion in Lestradae's log has nothing to do with any of the leaks that have been observed in the Windows version up to now. It is most likely a true "oops, we run out of resources" thing.

LB: Have you ever had any memory exhaustion error with 1.71.x? The reason I am asking is that I do not agree with the statement that it happens occasionally. It used to happen until up to and including version 1.70. Of course, running way too many programs on a computer with low memory at the same time as Oolite will most likely result in using up all memory, regardless of computer type, even with the newest test or the official stable releases.

Oh, btw, I see an error in Lestradae's log: the aaShipsAt: anarchies_hacker_outpost1 1 wpm 0 0 -150000. It is probably a mistype in the script, I would expect addShipsAt: instead. And, before anyone asks, it has nothing to do with the memory error.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

I think only once since upgrading to 1.7xx. That was with RS installed and with Kaspersky Anti-Virus, Firefox Word and a few other windows open. I also only have about 700M of Ram. Since pairing down to about 30 OXPs installed I haven't hit it again. I'd assumed this was just one of those Windows things rather than something specific to Oolite itself.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
tinker
Deadly
Deadly

Post by tinker »

Well I am not using windows and I am using 1.71.2 and I got this error today

2008-09-09 12:24:37.576 oolite[7287] [ai.takeAction.badSelector]: ***** ERROR in AI anarchiesCheckscriptAsteroidAI.plist in state GLOBAL: Asteroid 197 does not respond to checkScript
I was running part one of Localhero at the time so was not even in an anarchy system.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

tinker wrote:
Well I am not using windows and I am using 1.71.2 and I got this error today

2008-09-09 12:24:37.576 oolite[7287] [ai.takeAction.badSelector]: ***** ERROR in AI anarchiesCheckscriptAsteroidAI.plist in state GLOBAL: Asteroid 197 does not respond to checkScript
I was running part one of Localhero at the time so was not even in an anarchy system.
Yes, I have had this too. It is in one of McLs AIs. But it does nothing else than creating this message in stderr.txt. I think it was meant to trigger the worldScript to be executed, but does not work. It is not documented - maybe a hidden feature? Oolite uses it internally, but I don't think that it is accessable from AIs or other scripts. Maybe I'm wrong, but it is part of safeScriptActionOnTarget.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Svengali wrote:
Yes, I have had this too. It is in one of McLs AIs. But it does nothing else than creating this message in stderr.txt. I think it was meant to trigger the worldScript to be executed, but does not work. It is not documented - maybe a hidden feature?
As far as I know this is logged since 1.71. And McLane has also repaired that error long time ago. But maybe not yet in his last release. If not, than it will be in his next release that probably contains a lot more JS scripting.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Sorry, was out of town for a couple of weeks, therefore the late reply.

Lestradae, your crash is entirely memory-related, although you indeed stumbled across a bug in Anarchies as well.

As a_c correctly diagnosed, there is a typo in one of the AI-files (for which I apologize). If you open anarchiesHenchman1AI.plist and replace "aaShipsAt" with the correct "addShipsAt", it will be fixed. The typo itself is non-fatal. It "just" means that in one quarter of the cases the Hacker Outpost will not be created. Annoying (especially the fact that it slipped through my attention when I released the version), but non-fatal.

The warning about safeScriptActionOnTarget vs. scriptActionOnTarget is also non-fatal. It means exactly what it says: The use of the scriptActionOnTarget is discouraged, and safeScriptActionOnTarget should be used instead. But the latter was introduced only in 1.71, and Anarchies1.0 is supposed to work with the earlier versions as well. The whole thing will become obsolete anyway, as soon as 1.72 comes out (no need anymore for any scripting of actions on targets).

The checkScript-thing actually works. It is a nice technique provided by Eric Walch for making something work especially in 1.70, that wouldn't work otherwise. The engine complains about it because it is somewhat unorthodox (it's indeed an undocumented feature). The whole thing will again become obsolete as soon as 1.72 comes out, because this will allow for a completely different scripting of the desired effect.

And Eric is right, for 1.72 Anarchies will be competely re-scripted, entirely in JS. I could release it right now, but I am waiting for one or two features which are not yet available in 1.71.2, but will be implemented in 1.72.

So I kindly ask for just a little more patience.