Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Ship speed questions

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

CmdrLUke
Deadly
Deadly

Ship speed questions

Post by CmdrLUke »

Do injectors just add to the current speed of a ship? So that if ship A is faster than ship B without injectors, ship A remains faster when both have injectors on?

Is the same true for in-system jump drive? Or do all ships travel at the same speed for in-system jumpdrive?
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Re: Ship speed questions

Post by Captain Hesperus »

CmdrLUke wrote:
Do injectors just add to the current speed of a ship? So that if ship A is faster than ship B without injectors, ship A remains faster when both have injectors on?

Is the same true for in-system jump drive? Or do all ships travel at the same speed for in-system jumpdrive?
I think the injectors simply boost your max speed, so yes, if Ship A is faster than Shiip B without Injectors, it will be faster with them.

The In-System jumpdrive (or Torus Drive) increases your speed by about 300% and is only available to player ships. NPC don't use them.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Yes to part A of your question (until proven otherwise)

No applicable to Part B - the jump-drive is player centric (I believe) to help you get through the potentially dull bit between witchpoint and station - I don't think NPCs have a J-drive.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

D'oh and the Cap'n manages to post in the 30s it took to read the question and write my reply! :)
Selezen wrote:
Captain Hesperus

Post by Captain Hesperus »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
D'oh and the Cap'n manages to post in the 30s it took to read the question and write my reply! :)
I was a full minute ahead of you, DH! Ya stardream and ya lose, old man.... ;)

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

You could have been as little as 2s ahead of me given the time resolution displayed in the posts...
Selezen wrote:
CmdrLUke
Deadly
Deadly

Post by CmdrLUke »

But does a faster player ship take less real world time using in-system jump drive to reach the planet than a slower player ship does? I'm trying to balance all the benefits of speed (both in combat and in real world "down" time while cruising in-system) vs. combat vs. freight capacity
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Don't know - somebody would probably have to look at the code if nobody actually knows already...

'tis a good question to ask though!
Selezen wrote:
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

I think so. But of course the real world time it saves you isn't that much as a lot of the real world time is spent mass locked (unless you're staying out of the space lane).
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
CmdrLUke
Deadly
Deadly

Post by CmdrLUke »

LittleBear wrote:
I think so. But of course the real world time it saves you isn't that much as a lot of the real world time is spent mass locked (unless you're staying out of the space lane).
I rarely spend time in the lanes unless I'm "cruisin' for a bruisin'" or hunting down RandomHits targets. When doing all sort of hauling (pure trading or contract hauling missions) I prefer to get station to station as fast as possible. Time is Money! And if the RoS will get me from beacon to station 34% faster (in wallclock time) than a PCC than I'll probably go for the RoS.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

The PCC is a fighter though as well as a hauler (it can fit both boosters and naval shields, nice slim profile and pretty nippy too) and it hauls 175 tones. But its pricey! The RoC would be a good entry level hauler to build the Credits for something with more punch!
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
CmdrLUke
Deadly
Deadly

Post by CmdrLUke »

LittleBear wrote:
The PCC is a fighter though as well as a hauler (it can fit both boosters and naval shields, nice slim profile and pretty nippy too) and it hauls 175 tones. But its pricey! The RoC would be a good entry level hauler to build the Credits for something with more punch!
The ship data is contradictory on the wiki. This page:

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Ship_data_table

says that the PCC has "All" equipment (making it a very tasty ship indeed, I agree).

However, this page:

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Python_Class_Cruiser

says boosters are not available for the PCC! Argh, it's hard enough to make a decision about your 2nd ship when one doesn't know what data to trust.
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

LittleBear wrote:
A PCC can hold 165 tones, not 175. Just thought I might want to correct you. My ship, The "Graceful Sofia" Is a PCC. It's Vary strong, can Get shield boosters, and military shields. The ram scoop is vary nice when your laser gets too hot. It's maintince is 8000 cr (not much for me, I will be, once again, a 3 million air once I deliver this cargo). But It has a nicer bathroom than a ROC and Cobra mkIII. But You should do what you want to do.

Don't Panic: FSOneblin
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

To answer one of the original questions: J-speed is exactly 3 times as fast as the usual max speed for any given ship. So yes, if you buy a faster ship, you will get faster to the main station while using J-speed.

I am not completely sure, but I think injector speed is about 1.5 times as fast as normal max speed, which would make it half of J-speed. So again, it is all relative to the ship's max speed.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

i just want to add my 2 cents.

I know for a fact that, slower ships like the anaconda, also flies slower while injecting, than any other ship, that has a higher base max speed... The anaconda has a base speed of 0.110 I think, without checking...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935