OCX and save file pollution?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

CmdrLUke
Deadly
Deadly

OCX and save file pollution?

Post by CmdrLUke »

Are there OCXs that can "pollute" your save file and make it so that you can't load the player without the OCX loaded? Some OCXs really slow down the game and I want to make sure I can unload them at a future date without losing my non-OCX-related equipment, cash, and ship.

It seems the mission OCXs are the ones that really slow things down, for example are any of these "polluting": ?

localhero_1_05
RandomHits
longway
Asteroids
Taranis
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

No. But if you buy an OXP ship then you will need to have that OXP installed in order to load that Commander as otherwise the ship your Commander is flying won't exist. Random Hits shoudn't cause too much of a performance hit generally, but you will get a drop whilst in an Anarchy system due to the presence of the Space Bar if your Graphics Card is a bit low-end.

Random Hits (and other mission OXPs) will store mission variables in your save file, but if you take the OXP out then these variables are not acted upon.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
CmdrLUke
Deadly
Deadly

Post by CmdrLUke »

Thanks!

About delay, either RandomHits or localhero (haven't figured out which one yet) has added about a 4 second delay in all with space jumping sequences regardless of the destination system.

Are OXP variables preserved then across OXP installation, removal, and reinstallation? So I could start a mission, remove the OXP if I don't want to do it for a while to speed things up, then re-insall it and pick up from where I left off (assuming I don't have an OXP ship)?

thanks!
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

CmdrLUke wrote:
Are OXP variables preserved then across OXP installation, removal, and reinstallation? So I could start a mission, remove the OXP if I don't want to do it for a while to speed things up, then re-insall it and pick up from where I left off (assuming I don't have an OXP ship)?

thanks!
Yes. You could remove an OXP from your AddOns folder, delete it or even send it to your Auntie Maud in a red box with pretty pink ribbons and when you ever got it back, or even re-downloaded the OXP from the OXP lists, it would continue to run as if you'd never taken leave of your senses and sent it to your relatives. However, should there be an update between you downloading the OXP originally and having to re-download, you may find that there are problems. In this case, either the author of the OXP or update will post in the Expansion Pack forum, informing of the changes and any problems that might occur as well as suggesting fixes, or you can post your problem in the original OXP's thread (most OXPs published have at least one thread on the Expansion Pack forum) for help.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!