Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

My multi-targeting system is gathering dust

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

My multi-targeting system is gathering dust

Post by JohnnyBoy »

A long time ago, I bought the 'Multi-targeting system' and 'Targeting system memory expansion' for my SuperCobra. I was under the impression that it would let me lock missiles onto 2 or 3 targets then launch multiple missiles simultaneously, or lock a couple of missiles onto one target and launch simultaneously.

But I've yet to find out whether my assumptions were correct, because I can't get it to work. I've tried locking a missile onto a target, changing missile, locking onto another target and then launching, but I only manage to despatch one warhead. Grrrr!!! It's not doing what I want!!! :evil:

Am I not pressing the right buttons, or have I just mis-understood what the Multi-Targeting System is for? Can some kind Commander please direct me to the "Complete Numpty's Guide to the Multi-Targeting System" before the system gathers any more dust?
"That's no vicious Treeoid. That's my wife."
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Thank you, Cmdr. Maegil. Now that you've pointed out these instructions I shall get out my feather duster, and have another go.... ;)
"That's no vicious Treeoid. That's my wife."
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: My multi-targeting system is gathering dust

Post by Eric Walch »

JohnnyBoy wrote:
A long time ago, I bought the 'Multi-targeting system' and 'Targeting system memory expansion' for my SuperCobra. I was under the impression that it would let me lock missiles onto 2 or 3 targets then launch multiple missiles simultaneously, or lock a couple of missiles onto one target and launch simultaneously.
I had also problems with it. Probably never used it anymore since 1.55. But when I remember well you do the first part well but than just press once for every missile you want to launch.
rollen
Competent
Competent

Post by rollen »

its very useful for selecting and then deselecting lots of targets when you have just vaporised a python and found lots of cargo floating in space in your front screen. it saves a lot of time when collecting the spoils of war. good practice for figting multiple gangs of cutthroat pirates!
"time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas"
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

rollen wrote:
good practice for figting multiple gangs of cutthroat pirates!
Now I remember when I used it for the last time --> Assassains. I targeted all missiles on one heavy target and than fired all missiles by repeatedly pressing M. Without the multi target you had to target them each time again under heavy fire.
Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

I think it was on Giles's list of things to do to implement Shift-M that unleashed all targeted missiles at the same time!
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

I'd very much like to see an automatic missile reloader. With it you sould be able to carry extra missiles on the cargo bay to replenish the used ones, say 30~60 seconds after vacating a pylon?

/me daydreams of missile frigates and battleships firing salvo after salvo of them exhaust-buggerers :twisted:
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

me daydreams of missile frigates and battleships firing salvo after salvo of them exhaust-buggerers
The NPC carriers of Realistic Shipyards 3.02 will already do that :twisted:

But it would be very cool to have a rocket launcher with missile racks for players ... shouldn`t that be doable already? A piece of equipment, that reloads the missile rack after its been emptied, blocks a certain amount of cargo space before its deployed, and unblocks it when deployed?

Strategic point: This would also make it possible to fill the cargo bay with fuel tanks ... get from one end of the galactic chart to the other ... but why not.

:D

L
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Wiggy wrote:
I think it was on Giles's list of things to do to implement Shift-M that unleashed all targeted missiles at the same time!
I doubt it. Shift-M is already in use. :-p