Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Who's still got their old machines?

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Okay, here's where I confess....

My attic contains an Atari VCS (2600) with fabulous 1970s woodgrain effect, an Acorn Electron with Plus One interface and a Wang 386SX-20.

Anyone else hoarding ye olde computer gear?
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

I still have my old C64, and if I connect it to electrics its lamp will glow.

But that`s all it does nowadays :(

It`s dead, Jim :P
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Think you're bad? Take a look at this, then.
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Take a look at this, then
:shock:
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: ...

Post by Eric Walch »

Lestradae wrote:
I still have my old C64, and if I connect it to electrics its lamp will glow.
Mine isn't original anymore. I soldered the CPU out, placed it on an new made "platine" together with new bought memory and put it back in the C64. By now it became a C256. I even hacked my favourite text-editor to make use of all that extra memory. (instead of constant disk swapping)
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
Think you're bad? Take a look at this, then.
That's not all - read this love/horror story (warning: there are guts and a bed involved).
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
goran
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by goran »

I got rid of everything except original (and still fully operational) Mac Plus with external 120MB HD. http://lowendmac.com/compact/macintosh-plus.html
I should at least keep the Spectrum, but changing 3 addresses in 3 months did the horrible things to my inventory.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

i still got 2 boxed amigas up in the loft, A500 w/ the 1/2meg upgrade fitted, and an A1200. big bags of games too.
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Killer Wolf wrote:
i still got 2 boxed amigas up in the loft, A500 w/ the 1/2meg upgrade fitted, and an A1200. big bags of games too.
:o :o :o
That's a treasure chest full o'dobloons, mate - especially if they're still working!!! And not something the younger generation knows hows to appreciate either...
:o :o :o
Gareth3377
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Gareth3377 »

My Electron is gathering dust up in the attic. My speccy has died though and has gone to silicon heaven. I used to have an IBM Ps1 (quite possibly one of the worst computers ever), but that was binned ages ago.
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

I still have a dreamcast and a NES. I don't have elite for the NES. Poor NES broke. I miss it more every day. Why God, why!?!? :cry: Now I know how Charles Darwin feels. :cry:

Don't :cry: Panic: FSOneblin
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
That's not all - read this love/horror story (warning: there are guts and a bed involved).
That's a fantastic thread. :)
Gareth3377 wrote:
I used to have an IBM Ps1 (quite possibly one of the worst computers ever), but that was binned ages ago.
Oh Gareth! How could you possibly dislike that dream combination of a 286 processor and a 12" screen? :wink:

Starting this thread has had a strange effect on me. I've been up into the attic and hauled down an Agfa SCSI scanner, an Epson inkjet printer and a 15" Samsung CRT monitor. My uncle's coming over tomorrow to pick the lot up and give to his local school. Hopefully someone will find some use for it all. 8)
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

JohnnyBoy wrote:
How could you possibly dislike that dream combination of a 286 processor and a 12" screen? :wink:

The only thing good I can remember about it is that it was the machine on which I first played Dune II. Otherwise, it felt the same as any other PC - only uglier!
Starting this thread has had a strange effect on me. I've been up into the attic and hauled down an Agfa SCSI scanner, an Epson inkjet printer and a 15" Samsung CRT monitor. My uncle's coming over tomorrow to pick the lot up and give to his local school. Hopefully someone will find some use for it all. 8)
Hopefully you'll start a fad!

COME ON, PEOPLE! LET'S DO A CHARITY RUN!!!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I still have a working wood effect Atari 2600 (pacman, Jedi Arena, Combat, Space Invaders)

2xC64

C64 1 is original beige (1983), complete with original datasette unit and a 1541 floppy brick - many hundreds of games.

C64 2 is newer (1988) (to match Amiga) cream colour and wedge shape, non standard cassette unit and Evesham Micros Excellerator plus Floppy drive (tiny compared to 1541 external power supply and special chipset do do formatting and the like)

3xA500 Amigas

A500 1 = original as is (bought 1989)
A500 2 = original + 1/2meg expansion and 2nd external floppy (bought 1991)
A500 3 = modded with Fatter Agnus - 2meg non standard expansion - A590 20MB Hard drive fitted with additional 2meg of RAM (acquired 2nd hand in 1996)

Lots of games.

PCs:

12yr old HP Omnibook 800CT laptop - 48meg RAM, P133, 1.4GB HD, docking station, external HP CD-Rewriter, Windows 95 (used almost daily - I use it to write - it can't do anything else so I'm not distracted)

IBM Thinkpad 600 - 10 year old, PII-300, 192MB RAM, ripped apart and 40GB HD fitted - dual boot Ubuntu (FF) and Windows98SE - used when I want to write but also connect to the internet for research.

So, that's everything that works - but I've boxes full of disassembled PCs in the loft - nothing with more oomph than a PII-400 though - I've built all the whole PCs I can and given them away to local schools and charities.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

And we still have an apple 2 and a sega genesis (Or mega drive, as it's called in japan and that Europe). I also have a gamecube.

Don't Panic: FSOneblin
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"