Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Military shield enhancement

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

dalek501
Deadly
Deadly

Military shield enhancement

Post by dalek501 »

I was just wondering what sort of effect adding military shield enhancement actually has? Having spent the best part of my hard earned cash on it, the first skirmish I got into had my shields seeming to deplete at the usual rate.

OK I didnt scientifically measure it, but in battles you normally get pummelled for a few seconds when first encountering a few pirates together, before they lay off for a while. It was in the first bit when my sheilds seemed to deplete at the same rate they always had before.

The only thing I may have detected is that after the initial burst maybe ships didn't fire on me so much (or was I dreaming that). Is it possible that the AI of others ships is changed if you have military shieds?

Am I not seeing it right? Or don't they actually add that much?
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

used together with a naval energy unit you'll notice the difference.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
dalek501
Deadly
Deadly

Post by dalek501 »

So does that mean they don't do anything until I get the unit?
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

No, sorry to confuse, the shields are stronger, but there is not a massive improvement, they are well overpriced IMO, (and bear in mind that the maintenace cost is high too) but together with the Naval energy unit they do give you the strongest defence against laser fire.

The best defensive equipment to get are the injectors and the cloaking device.
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

TGHC wrote:
No, sorry to confuse, the shields are stronger, but there is not a massive improvement, they are well overpriced IMO,
Why should a military equipment always be stronger in the first place. Maybe it doesn't damage that easy or it takes less room in the ships hull?

In fact the military shield is just as powerful as the normal one. Both add 100% shield to the value of an unmodified ship. The military one just uses other technology that increases shield value in an other way. This way you can have both shields enhancers do their work and your shield triples in strenght. Explaining the physics behind the boosters is out of the scope of this board but both techniques are at the maximum of their power. Just swapping one for the other gives no increase.
dalek501
Deadly
Deadly

Post by dalek501 »

I see, so it looks like I need to wait a bit to get the naval energy unit then to see the full potential.
Commander Mysenses
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Devon, a backward little planet scourged by evil weather

Post by Commander Mysenses »

@Eric
That's some fine quality snakeoil you got thar sonny!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

The bottom line is get all the defensive and offensive equipment you can to max out your "survivability",
CmdrLUke
Deadly
Deadly

Post by CmdrLUke »

So if I already have regular Shield Boosters and no other special Navy equipment, adding the very expensive Military Shield Enhancers will give me incrementally 50% more shield power, for a total of 3x over non-boosted shield power?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

I think each item doubles it. So the Shield Boosters give you twice as strong shields as nothing at all. The Military Shield doubles it again. So fitting both gives you 400% more juice in your shields than you would with nothing. The Engery Units (both standard and Naval) do not increase your shield strength, but they do speed up the rate at which your Energy Banks recharge.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
CmdrLUke
Deadly
Deadly

Post by CmdrLUke »

thanks!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I don't think the MSE doubles it again, it just adds another 100%.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

The combined effect of the Shield Booster and Military Shield Enhancer is additive.

On top of that, the Military Shield Enhancer increases shield recharge rate by 50%.

Code: Select all

// ShipEntity.m
- (float) shieldBoostFactor
{
    float boostFactor = 1.0f;
    if ([self hasShieldBooster])  boostFactor += 1.0f;
    if ([self hasMilitaryShieldEnhancer])  boostFactor += 1.0f;

return boostFactor;
}

- (float) shieldRechargeRate
{
    return [self hasMilitaryShieldEnhancer] ? 3.0f : 2.0f;