Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Energy Bomb 1.7.1.2

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Energy Bomb 1.7.1.2

Post by Frame »

is anyone else getting this...

My energy bomb in 1.7.1.2 is blasting all thargoid invasion ships, while they all where undamaged...

how is this in 1.65, dont have it installed atm.

So i still say: E bomb to powerfull ;-), at least in 1.7.1.2
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

IIRC, in 1.65 the energy bomb took thargoids out as well. (And some people found that to be too powerful, too; especially if compared to older ELITE-versions. Although I seem to remember that the impact of energy bombs on thargoids was different in different ELITE-versions, so there was a justification to make it as it is now in Oolite - it matches at least one ELITE-version.)
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

hmm ok, and everybody wants it as they remember it ofcourse...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I don't use E bombs in Oolite - and never have - seems unfair as the NPCs don't use 'em (I know there are arguments that simply blowing up because an NPC used an energy bomb somewhere else slides the balance away from "fun and playable" towards "annoying and frustrating") - but as I played the C64 and Amiga versions (where I did buy and use e-bombs) I learned to live with and accept e-bomb proof Thargoids - seemed reasonable to me.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

submit bug

Post by Frame »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
I don't use E bombs in Oolite - and never have - seems unfair as the NPCs don't use 'em (I know there are arguments that simply blowing up because an NPC used an energy bomb somewhere else slides the balance away from "fun and playable" towards "annoying and frustrating") - but as I played the C64 and Amiga versions (where I did buy and use e-bombs) I learned to live with and accept e-bomb proof Thargoids - seemed reasonable to me.
yeah, quite reasonable , cause if you could just fire off an ebomb from your tiny ship, then why send in behemoths, i think the later elite versions like arc elite, it was hard to earn credits, so you would not at any circumstance fire off an ebomb, unless you where at the brink of being destroyed... with all the OXPs outthere, making money is somewhat easier... i would argue that author giles, since he wrote this

Code: Select all

string>A one-shot super-weapon capable of destroying all small craft within range.</string>
meant for it not to destroy large ships, only small crafts like cobra mk1 /cobra mk III, adder, viper

but not boas,the player, Pythons, and anacondas...

i would argue that the maximum energy damage dealt would be similar to that of the Cobra MK-III, since it is the largest of the small ship fleet.

this way it is just a get out of trouble safe card... not very challenging
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I've thought a lot about the e-bomb and I wondered what other's thought of these ideas:

1) Remove e-bomb from the game (or like me - just don't buy one)
2) Change the way e-bomb works
2a) does only destroy small ships - Cobra MKIII is on the cusp - 50/50 chance of destruction
2b) it has a countdown of say 20s (for maximum damage - double tap still triggers immediately but for lower yield) - when it's triggered all ships get a warning - that way they could chose to immediately jump out (15s - so you've got a 4-5sec window of opportunity), run away on max injectors - or try and finish you off.
2b.1) E-bomb can be aborted any time from 20s to 3s - after 3s it goes off no matter what (this way if the police turn up to help - you don't end up being a fugitive)
3) E-bomb shielding/engine phase modulators - eats into cargo space helps protect ship from destruction - then this and E-bombs available to NPC and player alike...
Selezen wrote:
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

I buy e-bombs, but rarely use them because it takes the fun out of fighting with pirates.

However, I wouldn't want to see them removed from the game entirely - on that rare occasion when two Basilisks jump you at the same time, it's nice to be able to hit the '9' key.... :twisted:
Commander Mysenses
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Devon, a backward little planet scourged by evil weather

Post by Commander Mysenses »

Don't use 'em... not economically viable.
Just how many bounties would you have to earn to make it worthwhile?
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Commander Mysenses wrote:
Don't use 'em... not economically viable.
Just how many bounties would you have to earn to make it worthwhile?
Saving one Naval Energy Unit from serious damage more than covers the cost of an e-bomb.... :wink:
Commander Mysenses
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Devon, a backward little planet scourged by evil weather

Post by Commander Mysenses »

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Saving one Naval Energy Unit from serious damage more than covers the cost of an e-bomb
Whichspace injectors are cheaper... run Forrest, run!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
I've thought a lot about the e-bomb and I wondered what other's thought of these ideas:

1) Remove e-bomb from the game (or like me - just don't buy one)
2) Change the way e-bomb works
2a) does only destroy small ships - Cobra MKIII is on the cusp - 50/50 chance of destruction
2b) it has a countdown of say 20s (for maximum damage - double tap still triggers immediately but for lower yield) - when it's triggered all ships get a warning - that way they could chose to immediately jump out (15s - so you've got a 4-5sec window of opportunity), run away on max injectors - or try and finish you off.
2b.1) E-bomb can be aborted any time from 20s to 3s - after 3s it goes off no matter what (this way if the police turn up to help - you don't end up being a fugitive)
3) E-bomb shielding/engine phase modulators - eats into cargo space helps protect ship from destruction - then this and E-bombs available to NPC and player alike...
I like 2a most. I wouldn't like to remove it altogether, and be it only for Elite-nostalgia. 2b seems to complicated to me, because a countdown would have to take place on your screen - effectively obscuring the view you need so desperately when fighting. And 3 - I don't know. Mostly because of the equipment-needs-cargo-space-idea, which I'm not particularly fond of. However, the available-to-NPCs-idea could as well be combined with the countdown-idea, and then best without any screen interaction except for a warning whenever a NPC has thrown out its energy bomb, so that you know that you've only a couple of seconds to get out. Which would throw the take-it-back-option off the table.

Sorry, DH, I haven't yet thought a lot about the E-bomb, so I'm doing it now, just as I'm writing. Therefore the response may not be so well-thought yet.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

@Cmdr M - all about stimulating debate - until proven otherwise - all ideas are good ideas... :D
Selezen wrote:
Gareth3377
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Gareth3377 »

Like 2a as well.

Don't tend to use e-bombs, but there have been one or two times where they've come in mighty handy...

Wouldn't like to see them removed altogether though.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

I would vote for 2a, too.

And would suggest that the e-bomb got an expanding sphere (perhaps white instead of blue?) like the q-bomb but without ships exploding creating additional spheres?

The e-bomb could be made to temporarily take the shields down (that would make big or very energetic ships vulnerable, but not terminally so) and take out, say 300 energy ... that way, ships with an equivalent of 4 energy banks or less would get destroyed, but more powerful and/or bigger ships would be damaged, but not destroyed.

Carriers would still be vulnerable then (what with shields temporarily down and all) but far from havin been destroyed, small ships would be destroyed.

Just my 0.2 Cr

L

Edit: Hm, my reason for the sphere: That way, NPC`s could easily get the energy bomb, too - but there would be a chance to run away before it hit, without a countdown or somesuch.
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

I think we should maybe Just make it so it just does not count the destroyed ships as kills? Just my opinion.

Don't Panic: FSOneblin
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"