Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Is there a need for another set of ship textures?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Is there a need for another set of ship textures?

Post by CaptKev »

I like Sung's textures but I'm starting to think there a bit too busy, so I had a go at creating a version of the Cobra Mk III.

Even if there isn't much interest I might create more for my own use anyway, but was curious what the general opinion on this was.
Download Fighter HUD, Stingray and System Redux from the EliteWiki
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Cor! If they're all going to look like that then yes please! i'd love another texture pack! Fantastic stuff!

You probably do this already, but it might be worth planning ahead and keeping a version of your textures with all the elements like exhaust glows, cockpit windows etc in seperate layers in the image file so if you do go back to them later to make effects maps for shaders it'll be easier to do
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

I think an improved texture pack would be a wonderful idea. Given the development of planet textures and stations and ships with glow maps, the original models are starting to seem a bit out of place.

If only I understood a word of all the glow map stuff, I'd love to work on my Cobra Rapier (it would be nice to get a glowy effect on the green areas of the ship to bring out an idea of a mix of hardtech and biotech)... Unfortunately, the whole thing went way over my head when I tried to read up on the stuff... :oops:
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Looks not bad, CaptKev. However, my question is the same as to Sung's textures: What are all the small structures on the texture? It looks like the ship's hull was welded together from hundreds of tiny bits and pieces and then neither polished nor painted, so you see every single weld. On top of that, there seem to be dozens or hundreds of connections (cables?, hydraulic lines?, I-don't-know-what?) mounted directly on the hull.

I simply don't think they are going to design space-ships that way in the fourth millenium.

And sorry, I don't mean to offend you. It's just what I think in general about this style of texture. Fine for some renegade vessels that are obviously just slamped together in a backyard garage. But not for a ship that is supposed to have come out of a production line.
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

@Griff, I do try and keep everything in separate layers (when I remember), You've given me an idea maybe I should create a Shady Ship Texture OXP.

@Wolfwood, once you start playing around with the glow map stuff, it's surprisingly quite easy. The trick is to copy Ahruman and Griff's shaders. :D

@Commander McLane, no offense taken, it just looks a bit boring without any detail on the metal.
Maybe the self-repairing hull leaves small inperfections in the metal. :?:
Download Fighter HUD, Stingray and System Redux from the EliteWiki
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

CaptKev wrote:
...it just looks a bit boring without any detail on the metal.
Yupp. Imagine a big area with nothing on it. That would only be interesting if Oolite would have real caustics. So I really like your idea of a new texture set. :-)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

CaptKev wrote:
@Commander McLane, no offense taken, it just looks a bit boring without any detail on the metal.
Point taken. So I guess it boils down to finding a good balance between the amount of details and the overall texture. And of course to what kind of details you add. An alternative to the small-plates-and-welds structure could perhaps be a structured hull. For instance something like these cartons they sell eggs in. Lots of small peaks (sorry, can't describe it better). Or a wave-like structure with interchanging small hills and valleys. We could even come up with some explanations for the purpose of these structures (deflecting radiation; or something with the shield-generation).
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Commander McLane wrote:
What are all the small structures on the texture?
It's a Cobra so they are scales!
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Commander McLane wrote:
Looks not bad, CaptKev. However, my question is the same as to Sung's textures: What are all the small structures on the texture?
Greebles.

Even with shaders, Oolite still doesn’t have the technical thingummies¹ required for large blank areas to look good (i.e., not like paper cutouts). Good greebling can help hide this. Still, I agree that the random-bits-of-metal technique isn’t the acme of greebles.

¹Thingummies like ambient occlusion mapping (achievable), normal mapping (intended to be in MNSR) and high dynamic range lighting (not gonna happen).
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Are greebles related in anyway to sturrgles?
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Ahruman wrote:
I'm yet again surprised by the human ability to invent words and terms for practically anything they encounter... :shock:
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Greebles serve a very useful purpose on FTL craft... they act like a checksum, ensuring that the information that comes out of a wormhole is the same, and in the same order, as the information that goes in...
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

A good thing,

Variation is the Key. So I would like it. I even more like it to have Sungs versions AND your versions running together with a randomizer between it to add variation

and variation
and variation ..........................eternal echo

:D 8) :wink:
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

CaptKev wrote:
@Wolfwood, once you start playing around with the glow map stuff, it's surprisingly quite easy. The trick is to copy Ahruman and Griff's shaders. :D
Hehe, I sort of understood it as long as it was only about making additional texture layers with special effects, but then the "manual" (might have been a thread somewhere) started talking about some crazy code that totally confused me. My first idea was that the effects are hard-coded and if I have a layer with a "glow" placed on an area which I want to be "glowy", the program would do the rest, but the necessity and the function of the code bits in that mess threw me off... (meaning that I did not grasp the reason for them, nor their function)
Last edited by Wolfwood on Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Variation is the Key. So I would like it. I even more like it to have Sungs versions AND your versions running together with a randomizer between it to add variation

and variation
and variation
I second that ...