Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Upgrade time?

Discussion and announcements regarding the Mac port… er, original version of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

*cat
Dangerous
Dangerous

Upgrade time?

Post by *cat »

Hi all,
I'm enjoying Oolite 1.65 on my 1.5Ghz Mac Mini G4, 512MB RAM. Is now the time to upgrade to 1.71, or should I wait a wee bit for an official stable version?
I currently get a fair few freezes, especially when my jumps into new systems are greeted by a hognose nose-diving the navigation beacon and scattering a couple of hundred sheets of alloy around the station! And busy dogfights occasionally hang for half a second or so.
I've got a pile of OXPs installed and I'm in Galaxy 2, riding a Tiger. Any OXPs I should remove if I upgrade?
Will an upgrade to 1.71 be a move to Vista-like treacle slowness, or bug fixes and more efficient code? And will the Windows version (OT) run on a Win 2000 1Ghz P3 PC?
Thanks
*cat
ovvldc
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ovvldc »

I have found 1.71 to be more useable than the previous versions. I am using a 1.2 GHZ iBook with 1 GB of RAM.

-Oz
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Upgrade time?

Post by another_commander »

*cat wrote:
And will the Windows version (OT) run on a Win 2000 1Ghz P3 PC?
Affirmative. The performance may not be best-of-class, though.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I believe you’ll find 1.71 to perform better and crash less. If not, that would be a valuable data point. :-)
*cat
Dangerous
Dangerous

whew!

Post by *cat »

That's impressively fast - don't you guys have to work? (I'm working at home... really!). I'll give the new version a go.
Imagine if all support was as fast - maybe Charles Leadbetter (I filmed one of his talks last night) is right about the "open source revolution"?
Thanks
*cat
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: whew!

Post by JensAyton »

*cat wrote:
That's impressively fast - don't you guys have to work?
Well, some of the questions have to arrive just before we read the forum, purely by coincidence.
And yes, I do. A bit.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Upgrade time?

Post by TGHC »

*cat wrote:
Hi all,
I've got a pile of OXPs installed and I'm in Galaxy 2, riding a Tiger. Any OXPs I should remove if I upgrade?
You could try only having the mission OXP's that relate to the galaxy you're in for a starter.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"