A Solar Systems OXP - @Frame

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

@Frame - very nice, very nice indeed!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Firefly wibble split to Outworld -> Firefly wibble.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Looking good ... I would perhaps make the flasher in the middle even bigger and also blue to create the impression of some sort of event horizon ... and also connect the parts of the jumpgate wheel.

Just my taste, though.

Go, Frame, go! :D

This is, for me, the most anticipated oxp ever!

Motivational support OK? And it's even the truth what I said :lol:
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I just hope some role or job can be found for the other jump gate, I really like that design (give or take the dock in the middle of it ;) ).

It is also showing quite how much I think after this, PlanetFall, System Redux and a few others we will very soon need some good concensus on planet (and system perhaps) naming conventions, or it's going to get very confusing!
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

@Thargoid, which one :-).. there are 2 prior to the one in the conceptual release..

I'm thinking about dividing the distances between the planets up into 10 million Oolite Meters... that way you can still see the sun and the other planets..

now when some player bewilders himself out into nothing, a timer checks for his distance to the planets(this timer will kick in every 1 or 2 minut or so

So when he crosses a "border", the same functions kicks in as in when you are using the jumpgate, however, there is no dock.. everything just gets moved relatively to the player.. technically the player is also moved. there will be a brief "stagger" of the game

the "border" line would be when for example the player approaches 3 million meters distance to a planet to which he has not used to jumpgate to get to...

Then the target planet he is approaching is moved to the stable range of coordinates, just like when he is "jumpgating" , but with the difference that the player is also moved the same distance instead of just popping out at absolute coordinate 0,0,0..

The border distance at which this triggers changes between 3 and 4 million meters, so that he does not continuously cross a border...

Edit.. think the timer will kick in every 5 or 10 mins instead.. just flew some distance towards a 10.000.000 million meters distance planet...

Btw Lestradea, the flasher is blue now as wished... and has another more glowish flasher inside too so that it looks round...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Frame wrote:
@Thargoid, which one :-).. there are 2 prior to the one in the conceptual release..
The one in cr 0.01 (the one you've now replaced by the large ring one iirc).
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Cosmetic Question,,

what about that systems can have different species...

like human colonials in main, and birds in the next planet system ?

or should it rather be that the system, has the same species all out through the system...

what do people think ?

Cheers Frame...

Edit: Great!!! system properties only update once the player has selected the short range map for some reason. and we cannot force the player to that screen...

In hind sight, this should only affect Oolites build in populator functions

Working on the species description.. that at the moment is particulary fond of "Red Lizards", since Oolites Build in random species description generator function, changes for each time it is called, and you cannot use an argument to make sure you get the same result..

Edit 2 found my error it was like this a,b,c,d,e,f ;-)

But it means now that my rotate_seed & getSeed functions work as intended....

Reliable Pseudo random numbers is essential for this OXP.

Almost forgot... extra planet station buoy moved 10 clicks forward of its station and jumppoint buoy added additionally.

now tracing strange behavior when changing system from an extra planet system...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Have you thought about how to present all the new system info. We actually need some sort of new F7 (system info) screen. It would be really nice if you can see all the planets with their info on this screen (like in Frontier for example).
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

pagroove wrote:
Have you thought about how to present all the new system info. We actually need some sort of new F7 (system info) screen. It would be really nice if you can see all the planets with their info on this screen (like in Frontier for example).
The data will only come up on the F7 screen when the player is in the particular system.

There is no way to read from a Java script what system is presently selected in the short range or the long range map... this is also known as the hyperspace system. But is not yet a property of player.

A mission screen(acting as planet info for the present system) seems out of the Question too as the planets will spawn pseudo randomly... and we have no way of assembling a montage of models or images... in a mission screen. giving the impression of Frontier Elites System Info screen.

Things like this would have to be hard-coded, and that is not going to happen.

So the player would just have to explorer the system, or we could add characters that sell "maps"...

Another dilemma is the market screen.. until dock, that will reflect the market at the main station... There is no way of bypassing this... But Experienced Commanders should know the price of products when reading the Economy of the system.

In hind sight: I might be able to make something work with text only in regard to system information... and using the Buy Equipment Screen.

Equipment like View System Info. When bought, a succession of screens showing one planet at a time. Of course without atmosphere as that is not an option for regular models.

Once the planet mission screens ends, we simply remove the Equipment again...

Edit. This would only work for the present system though... as we cannot as written above, read the hyperspace system from a java script...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Update:

Following resent updates to the progress thread, i´m putting development of solar OXP on hold, until Oolite 1.73 or 1.74 is released... or whatever version we reach, when we reach the MNSR..

Had I gone any further with development, the depreciations of entity.setPosition and entity.setOrientation would have made me somewhat sad.. ;-)..

Until I know what is going to be depreciated and not, I'm not continuing with any oxp work at all, since my time is already limited enough other than to switch certain words around cause it suits the development of Oolite better.

On a personal note I think the whole depreciation stuff is taking on a life on its own...

certain player properties : now player.ship
shipDisplayName becomes displayName. I still do not get that one...

entity.Orientation and entity.position becomes read/write which means that setOrientation and setPosition becomes depreciated...

IMHO setOrientation and setPosition should not have been included at all then, but orientation and position should have become read/write straight away. But then again, I think every property should be read/write, where it does not break anything, that way we can avoid future depreciations and prolly many requests.

I use setPosition and setOrientation alot, and so does bouy repair, far sun, save anywhere oxp, and the rock hermit locator... these are just OXPs that comes of my mind...

Alot of OXPs will have to be updated again... its getting tiresome... Therefore i wait until the MNSR...

Cheers Frame...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Mmm When I played your test version and jumped through the jump gate it was very exiting. It was a bit pioneering work. Well I hope in the future you can continue the oxp.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
MEGALODON
Dangerous
Dangerous

Planetfall and Solar Systems

Post by MEGALODON »

Hi everyone.

Just looking at the intriguing ideas proposed for this Solar Systems oxp

I love how Oolite incorporates the aspects of FRONTIER and FFE as in the original ELITE as most of us know you only went from system station to station, but in the sequels you could actually land on planets and you actually had to land percisely as they had graphics of ports and buildings with docking platforms and such, I think it would be cool to actually have to dock through a bay on a planet but of course this would take up more memory resources.

But cool concept I'll be interested in keeping up to date on the progress of this.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: A Solar Systems OXP - @Frame

Post by Smivs »

Thread Necromancy! :shock:
This thread is over three years old, so any ideas in it have probably already happened, or have been given up on.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Looking through the entrails of this .oxp: it has comets!

But it needs System Redux & Far Sun to work. There seems to be no working link to download System Redux.

Does anybody have a link - or a copy?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Its on the Expansion Pack Manager under Ambience - You need to download the Additional Planets SR Base and at least one of the SR Planet texture pack (best to download all for maximum varierty!). Extra Stations for Extra Planets will also add space stations to the SR Planets and Distant Suns will change the stars.

The Red Giant Star at Anerle (System Redux, Distance Suns and Extra Stations for Extra Planets running):-

OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.