Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Lasers overheating, any solution?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

bulrush
Competent
Competent

Post by bulrush »

Is there extra equipment I can buy to cool down my lasers more quickly. I know to conserve my shots, but if I'm in the kill position, I shoot. Many times my lasers (beam) have over heated and I miss the kill.
Commander Mysenses
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Devon, a backward little planet scourged by evil weather

Re: Lasers overheating, any solution?

Post by Commander Mysenses »

bulrush wrote:
Don't miss. :P
Buy a pulse laser... or if you want more fire power... a popgun!
If you are whinging about a beam laser over heating... don't buy a Military laser!
Turn around and shoot 'em with your rear mounted laser.

But in seriousness, that is part of the game, live with it. It would make the game too one-sided if you could blast forever.
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Fire only when you know that you will hit. Don't just spray your guns in the general direction of the enemy.

Aim. Fire. Aim again. Fire.
bulrush
Competent
Competent

Post by bulrush »

I guess I should clarify. When I spray my lasers, they hit every time. Then the laser overheats, but I still haven't destroyed the ship. They must have good shields or something. Actually, the lasers often (but not always) destroy Cobra MK3 pirates, but I'm using the same strategy with the Asps. These Asps are a pain in the... (wait for it) "asp". They seem to have stronger shields and I just can't wear them down. Plus they always seem to have ECMs so missles don't work.
Commander Mysenses
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Devon, a backward little planet scourged by evil weather

Post by Commander Mysenses »

bulrush wrote:
Plus they always seem to have ECMs so missles don't work.
You use missiles on pirates?... the bounty wouldn't cover the cost of a replacement... bad business!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Just that the Beam is better than the pen-light pulse, but its still not really good enough against a well armed combat ship like an Asp.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Erai
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Erai »

Lasers overheat fast- probably even faster in the oher Elite versions. But it's actually rather well balanced this way: no more "see little dots, aim, hit the fire button, approach the cloud of dust, scoop cargo and move on", but lots of gritty dog fights! All part of the fun that is Oolite :P

The possibility of a laser cooling device has been discussed, if I recall correctly, but I don't think it will be implemented anytime soon (short of an osx, if that would even be possible- I think this bit is hardcoded)
bulrush
Competent
Competent

Post by bulrush »

I'm currently doing the Diso-Leesti run. I was trying to get to Zaonce-Isinor by going to Lave. I can't seem to find any other (less dangerous) way over to Zaonce. Every time I get to Lave I get vaped by some Asp.

Guess I'll just save for better shields or something.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Oolite is harder than Elite as the NPCs are smarter and can buy stuff to bling out their ships (same as the player). Running away (terribly fast) is often required. I'd make fuel injectors your next buy, until you have enough cash for Shield Boosters and a Military Laser. :wink:
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

you could also avoid the space lanes corridor, head away from the witchpoint beacon at a right angle for about 15 secs and then head twards the planet.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

See the FAQs in the wiki, especially the 12th question (the 8th question, and any other, may also be of interest for you).

So the ultimate answer to your question is: No, there is no laser cooling, and there will be no laser cooling.

We could even refer to the history of this board. There once was a board member who actually coded a laser cooling device. It was removed again on explicit wish of Aegidian. This wish has been respected ever since.

EDIT: Typo corrected.
Last edited by Commander McLane on Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Reason

Post by Lestradae »

We could even refer to the history of this board. There once was a board member you actually coded a laser cooling device. It was removed again on explicit wish of Aegidian. This wish has been respected ever since.
The reason being (I have thought about that one myself) that this would upset the game balance so immensely that there is no recipe to re-balance.

A laser cooler would mean you can fire away forever. If you give it to NPCs too, a group of three pirates will always blow you out of the sky before you can say "Trumble". If only players had it, you would become invincible.

If you do something Uber with an OXP, there should always be something for the counterbalance. You should have to invest a lot of gametime, resources and energy to acquire it, and after you acquired it, there should still be something that is even more challenging - not nescessarily the same things as before.

I can`t imagine a "counterweight" to a laser cooler, so this is one of the extremely rare occasions where I too think something should NOT be in Oolite :)

Cheers & have fun

L
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

I think you haven't got the point, Lestradae.

Oolite isn't player centric. Everything you can have, the NPCs can and will have, too!

Therefore the laser cooler won't make you über. It will make you under! You would meet pirates with laser coolers all the time, and they will give you a very hard time.

So the laser cooler was removed, because it unbalances the game in favour against the player.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Reason

Post by Kaks »

Lestradae wrote:
If you give it to NPCs too, a group of three pirates will always blow you out of the sky before you can say "Trumble". If only players had it, you would become invincible.
Commander McLane, I do think we're all agreed on that point! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Reason

Kaks wrote:
Lestradae wrote:
If you give it to NPCs too, a group of three pirates will always blow you out of the sky before you can say "Trumble". If only players had it, you would become invincible.
Commander McLane, I do think we're all agreed on that point! :)
Well, yes. I just wanted to make sure that there is no double "if" here. We're not talking about two possibilities. Everything you have the NPCs have too. Period.