Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Prices always the same on same station?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

bulrush
Competent
Competent

Prices always the same on same station?

Post by bulrush »

Oolite 1.65 for Win XP

If I always go back to the same planet, Lave, for example, will the prices always be exactly the same, or will they fluctuate slightly around a base price?
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

they fluctuate each time you visit. although each planet type (government and economy type) will have a different range of possible values for each commodity.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Like Hoopy said. Prices are determined by a formula which is dependent on the planet's economy (Poor Agricultural to Rich Industrial) (note: there is no dependency on government type), but also contains an element of random.

By the way: You can just try it out. Write down the prices you had on Lave, jump somewhere else, return, and compare. You will see that still cheap goods are cheap and expensive goods are expensive, but not with exactly the same prices.

And the same goes to the available quantities. Dependent on economy type and with a random element.
Commander Mysenses
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Devon, a backward little planet scourged by evil weather

Post by Commander Mysenses »

The average prices are listed on the pdf helpsheet. My rule is buy when price is below average and sell when above. And look for the biggest margins.

Get yerself an advanced space compass, then you can easily find constores, astrofactories, etc, where you will find good deals on sparkly stuff (I reckon the constores confiscate the bling of the chav shoplifters they sell cheap as slaves). Plenny of insystem trading opportunities there.

A rock hermit locator is handy too, Those lonely fellas will gladly trade oodles of jewels etc for a bottle or ten of fire whiskey!
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

sorry, my mistake. I thought government type had some effect.