Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Gamma correction

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Gamma correction

Post by Ark »

Is there any way to increase gamma correction inside oolite via an oxp?

My old CRT monitor “hides" things from me unless I increase its brightness to almost the maximum.

Thanks in advance
Commander Mysenses
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Devon, a backward little planet scourged by evil weather

Post by Commander Mysenses »

Me 3

Usually end up aiming for exhaust plumes... can't see bugger all else!
And streaking space dust is just a rumour to me.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Wouldnt it be better to have it configurable as an option in-game (stored in save game file)? it seems odd to me that you would want to have an oxp to do it.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Gamma correction

Post by Frame »

Ark wrote:
Is there any way to increase gamma correction inside oolite via an oxp?

My old CRT monitor “hides" things from me unless I increase its brightness to almost the maximum.

Thanks in advance
Dont know if you are on windows or mac
but Volumouse can increase your brightness by the click of a keyboard key and a wheel mouse..

Web site: http://www.nirsoft.net

Additionally Depending on what graphic card, ATI and Nvidia control panel lets you set a specific brightness via profiling.

Not so sure on Nvidia anymore since i use ATI HD2600 XT from HIS at the moment..

but at least the ATI catalyst controle center lets you do this in windows, again im not sure for MAC..
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Thanks for your replies

Yes it would be better if it was an in-game option and not an oxp

Now about the graphics driver. I am using a Pc with an nvidia.
The bad think is that Nvidia control panel let me change a lot of options for a specific application (oolite in our case). Options like antialazing and anisomorfic filtering but not the gamma correction.
I can only change camma correction via nvidia control panel but only generally in other words I can not assign a specific gamma correction to a specific application (oolite) which is what I want to do. All the other applications that I use do not need that increase in the gamma correction
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Ark wrote:
Thanks for your replies

Yes it would be better if it was an in-game option and not an oxp

Now about the graphics driver. I am using a Pc with an nvidia.
The bad think is that Nvidia control panel let me change a lot of options for a specific application (oolite in our case). Options like antialazing and anisomorfic filtering but not the gamma correction.
I can only change camma correction via nvidia control panel but only generally in other words I can not assign a specific gamma correction to a specific application (oolite) which is what I want to do. All the other applications that I use do not need that increase in the gamma correction
Well i just tested it for ATI at least that works

did you test Volumouse ?
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

The ClearSkys OXP boosts the light levels (you can edit it to make the ambient light higher 1.0 is normal, 2 is double and so on). I think this only increases the light put out by the sun and stars though, so things in shadow will still be dark. I turn the physcial button on the monitor up, which seems to work. :wink:
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

LittleBear wrote:
The ClearSkys OXP boosts the light levels (you can edit it to make the ambient light higher 1.0 is normal, 2 is double and so on). I think this only increases the light put out by the sun and stars though, so things in shadow will still be dark.
I have tried it but the result is not want I want
LittleBear wrote:
I turn the physcial button on the monitor up, which seems to work. :wink:
Yes that works but brightness is not exactly the same thing with gamma correction. Not to mention the headache I have after playing some time with monitor brightness at the maximum
I think it is time to buy myself a new TFT monitor :x

Thanks Little bear, Frame
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

The problem will not go away with a TFT monitor - if anything it seems to be worse.

What I have done is to create 3 desktop icons which load 3 different nvidia card configurations: "Normal", "Soft" (for early morning!) and "Oolite".

To play Oolite I first launch the "OOolite.screen" app, then Oolite. On exit I click on one of the others.

This is on Linux but Windows should work the same way.

To create the configuration tinker with the settings, then save them under a suitable name. The desktop icon will then run something like

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/nvidia-settings --config=~/nvidia-settings/oolite-rc --load-config-only
OSH
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by OSH »

I've discovered one bug: when I set gamma level under ATI Catalyst Control Center high for Full 3D, and I play in full screen, after switching to Windows, and again in Oolite, gamma level is "normal" (DARK!!!). Only when I again load CCC, and click "OK", gamma level is restored to hig level. I don't know how beat this problem...