Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Invisible space station

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

robhac
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Invisible space station

Post by robhac »

I have just discovered Oolite after playing Elite on the Acorn Electron, Atari St and early PCs.
I am runningthe game on Widows XP with a Geforce MX440 at 1024 X 768 resolution. I am about to change to a Geforce 7600GT (AGP) if it ever arrives.
The centre of the screen is a black disk but only as I approach the space station. Sometimes the navigation buoy is also invisible until I am very close. The stars can be seen at all times.
Help please because I am looking forward to this rebirth of Elite.
Rob
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Try and turn of or set it to its lowest value, every setting for mx 440., in the nvidia controle panel., things like anti aliasing. also try to disable Shader support, if enabled...

in that case, i would be nice to know what version of oolite you are using..
There are several different versions.. i think 1.7 is the latest release, which have shader support.. avoid 1.68 as there are some bugs in it...

not being 100% sure.. but shader support for the geforce 4 mx cards where not that good....

Also try to adjust the gamma setting to see if this could be caused by you having a very dark screen...

Gamma is almost like brightness however it works in a slightly different way.

Anyway im sure the Geforce 7600gt will be adaqute for the task when and if you ever get it.
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

grrr double lag post, sry :-S
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
robhac
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by robhac »

Thanks Frame. I tried the tip about turning off anti aliasing but it didn't help. I discovered a solution accidentaly. If I hover the mouse pointer over the Nvivia icon on the bar at the bottom of the screen then the problem goes away for that flight. Very strange.