Three questions concerning oxp uploading

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Three questions concerning oxp uploading

Post by Lestradae »

1. How-To :?: (Wiki, FAQ, short introduction)

2. Is it possible to use a self-unpacking 7-Zip file as oxp, or does this not work outside Windows :?:

3. The shipdata of each and every ship that`s publicly available for Oolite will come with my oxp and is currently assembled in a Word file. Again, will this work for other systems than Windows and if not, into which format could I convert it :?:

Good morning :)

L
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

It won't work at all on any OS. It needs to be in .plist format. If you C&P the data from word into a .plist named shipdata.plist then it will work. I did the same thing with the descriptions in random hits (so I could spell check it!), but it has to be C&Ped into a .plist for Oolite to read it.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

1 Read this https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=3239 or search google for info on midiawiki

2 Not sure if its possible, but please don't, everything else is zip, and I expect there will be problems, especially with self extractors.

3 Plain text, or html are the best choices. Many systems can read word, but in fact not even everyone on Windows has word, and those that do may have a different, and incompatible version. I guess pdf is a choice too, but I would go with plain text.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Can't help adding my two penny's worth to what both LittleBear & Cmdr James have already said:

2 self extracting 7-zip would only extract on the same type of system they were made, and make the file bigger. Keep it simple! :)

3 oolite wants plain text, with a .plist extension. You can use a free programmers' editor like notepad++, if word doesn't like saving to plain text. A word file is much bigger than plain text, and would create problems. Again, simplicity is your friend! :D

Sorry to repeat the message, but as far as I'm concerned, it can't be said often enough! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Generally you may want to read the documentation in the wiki on how to script OXPs. Start here.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Guys, I think in addition to the plist he is providing a word document for reference.

That is the thing he is asking if word is ok, and I suggested plain text or html.

If he is asking about the plist itself, clearly as you have all said, must be text.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Oops, should read things twice!

Lestradae, if you really, really must, you can save documents in .rtf format, which will allow you to have different size text, bold & italics. It's fully compatible with just about any flavour of windows, linux & macs.

Still, plain text: nice! :D
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Thanks for all your feedback!

Post by Lestradae »

Guys, I think in addition to the plist he is providing a word document for reference.

That is the thing he is asking if word is ok, and I suggested plain text or html.

If he is asking about the plist itself, clearly as you have all said, must be text.
Thank you, Commander James: Exactly! I would not have dreamed of writing a plist other than in my editor which makes plain text.

The way I am writing the "Realistic Shipyards" OXP is in principle that I write a gigantic new shipyard.plist which overwrites the TL`s and prices that were originally there with the recalibrated prices and Tech Levels. I am working on it and have been testing it back and forth and it works fine!

In addition to this I am writing two readme`s. They will provide players with information about ALL the ships in ALL the OXPs :shock:

Including their revised prices and Tech Level availabilities! And for those read me`s and infos I was asking if Word was OK. And I have understood: NO!!! :lol:

I am not changing the ships themselves, by the way. A few ships that were unavailable due to typos or switched off but made sense to be included are being opened up to the player. But the stats and probability to appear will stay the same - as they are all fine ships ...

Cheers & thanks again for the infos (might settle for rtf for the ship stats list, though) 8)

L

PS: I am really curious how this OXP will change gameplay strategies. Because with it, you can really plan your career path according to what you want to do, which ship(s) fit(s) and the availability price- and probabilitywise is consistent. I hope there will be many testers for this OXP :!:
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

As you are collating all the data anyway, would it be possible for you to update the wiki with the info as well?
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

At the moment ...

Post by Lestradae »

I am completely obsessed with finishing this OXP. And after that, I will perhaps watch the reactions to it and the playtesting feedback. And then I might be occupied with correcting MY typos and bugs :)

After that, perhaps. But if someone wants to use the data I assemble to update the wiki with it - don`t ask me, you have my blessings, go forth and do it :lol:

And I have already an idea for upgrading the Realistic Shipyards after version 1.0 is out, as the OXP makes Uber, I mean Capital Ships actually an interesting aim for the distinguished Elite veteran. :shock:

8)

L
Ace Garp
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Ace Garp »

Once your .OXP is done, I hereby volunteer myself to update the Wiki with the ship data that you have collated.

I was going to get round to this, but I've been busy reading about scripting, learning Wings, trying out textures, etc.
(Not really tried modding a game ever - but Oolite has me hooked!)

But . . I've noticed that the completed wiki entries for ships use the "Template:Infobox ShipStats Oolite".
Some of the empty listings do, but a lot don't.

Ho do a link (or use, or whatever), a template on a wiki page?
I've never really edited wiki much, apart from simple text alterations.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Ace Garp wrote:
But . . I've noticed that the completed wiki entries for ships use the "Template:Infobox ShipStats Oolite".
Some of the empty listings do, but a lot don't.

Ho do a link (or use, or whatever), a template on a wiki page?
I've never really edited wiki much, apart from simple text alterations.
On the left hand side of the template page, there’s a sort-of-example of the template, listing all the parameters it can take. The template’s “what links here” page lists the pages that use the template. If you look at the source for one of these, you will see an example of the template in use, generally at the top. In this case, it’s:

Code: Select all

{{Infobox ShipStats Oolite| title=Cobra Mk.I
|image = [[Image:Oolite-Cobra1.png|250px]]
|dimensions = 70 × 15 × 55
|capacity = 10 TC
|capacityext = N/A
|maxspeed = 0.26 LM
|maneuverability = Roll: 2.0<br />Pitch: 1.2
|energybanks = 2
|energyrecharge = Medium (2.5)
|gunmounts = Fore, Aft
|missileslots = 1
|shieldboost = Yes
|milshields = No
|hyperspace = Yes
|isoxp = Standard
|isplayer = Yes
|baseprice = 100000 Cr
}}
To use the template, just copy this and rewrite each line as appropriate. For instance, if you’re editing the page for a ship with a cargo capacity of 20t, change the “|capacity = 10 TC” line.
Ace Garp
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Ace Garp »

Cheers. So I just copy and paste the template into the entry I'm amending, and then edit it accordingly.

How then does the ship entry have this at the bottom: -

Templates used on this page:
Template:Infobox ShipStats Oolite
Do I just copy and paste that at the end?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but if I'm going to do it, I want to do it right!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Ace Garp wrote:
ow then does the ship entry have this at the bottom: -

Templates used on this page:
Template:Infobox ShipStats Oolite
Nah, that’s added by the wiki software.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Wiki: @Ace Garp

Post by Lestradae »

Once your .OXP is done, I hereby volunteer myself to update the Wiki with the ship data that you have collated.
Very 8) ! Glad I will have been of help, informationwise. I feel like the guy from Matrix in the meantime: I`m now able to see the Oolite in-game behaviour of a ship accurately before my inner eye if I look at a shipdata.plist :shock: Four days ago I had no clue what those letters meant ... :idea:
(Not really tried modding a game ever - but Oolite has me hooked!)
Same here :)

The data might be here on the coming weekend or beginning of next week ... if I go on how I started ...

Cheers

L