Newbie: Linux or XP version? 1.65, 1.68, 1.69, 1.70... Help!

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

About lose many hours
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Newbie: Linux or XP version? 1.65, 1.68, 1.69, 1.70... Help!

Post by About lose many hours »

Hi,
What a discovery! Haven't played Elite since I was in my teens. Loved it then and can't wait to start playing Oolite.

I have a dual-boot computer with both XP and Linux (Fedora) on. I see there's multiple versions of Oolite and I wondered what versions of Oolite people would recommend to start with - in terms of stability and maximum compatibility with OXP's. Please forgive me if this is a common question. I've explored the forums and seen bits of info but I'm still a bit confused.

Many thanks
Mark
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Welcome to the game! 1.65 is the most stable version, but doesen't have all the features of 1.70. 1.70 still has bugs that are being squoshed as its a test version. Its also the least buggy of the test versions though, so either go for 1.65 or 1.70. Virtually all OXPs work on 1.65 (exept for a few that use new features - and if an OXP requires 1.70 it'll say so). Between XP and Linux I don't know as I only use XP. Its dead easy to install and run on XP, but you may have to some faffing around to get to running well on Linux.

EDIT: BTW saved games work on all versions and OSs, so you can install one version and upgrade later.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.