Switching procedural textures for the main planet back on

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Switching procedural textures for the main planet back on

Post by Lestradae »

I have textures for planets from system redux and plannets.

I would like to texture the main planet with them instead of the fuzzy golfball feeling.

It was said that in Oolite 1.70, only two lines of text would have to be changed as to re-enable main planet retexturing.

My questions are:

1.) Which two lines do I have to change, where and how?

2.) Where do I have to put the textures so that the planets are textured with them?

3.) How do I switch the alternate textures on?

For me this is important for the gaming experience, and an even more unstable system ist the price I will pay, if nescessary.

Thanks in advance for help & tips,

Commander Lestradae
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

In GNUmakefile, in the section ADDITIONAL_OBJCFLAGS, you will need to add -DALLOW_PROCEDURAL_PLANETS. Then rebuild Oolite.

However, judging from the rest of your questions, I think there is a misunderstanding. The procedural planets do not use textures stored on disk. The game engine generates the textures on the fly and applies them. So, once you have added the above definition to the makefile and rebuilt the executable, there is nothing else you have to do. The game takes care of the rest.

Obviously, the above implies that you have a build system working. If not, unfortunately there is nothing that can be done. If you want to set the build system up, you will need to follow the instructions in the Wiki, found in this page.